Author Topic: What are your goals for this years Speedweek?  (Read 31820 times)

Buamotorsport

What are your goals for this years Speedweek?
« on: June 05, 2018, 03:14:58 PM »
There are clearly a number of racers that this will be their first time in competition and of course many racers trying for that elusive goal. So what do you hope to achieve this year. Then we can look back and see who achieved what.

For me my goal is to get seat time, do the best I can and make my team and sponsors proud. Speed wise I really hope to run over 225mph..fingers crossed. Lol

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: What are your goals for this years Speedweek?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 05:07:37 PM »
To get visit the Mayors in the afternoon and again the next morning
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 06:55:30 PM »
For me it's easy:  I want all of the porta potties to stay upright. :cheers: :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 07:20:14 PM »
For me it's easy:  I want all of the porta potties to stay upright. :cheers: :cheers:

Especially when we're in them, Jon!  :-D

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 08:35:21 PM »
I have found that when (constantly) asked "how fast will it go?", people are really disappointed if "200mph" is not mentioned in my response. So I tell them "well, Id like to see 200 !".  If I see them immediately raise their BS flag (i.e. they have some realistic idea of how fast a 100cc motorcycle could go ) I add "but I'll settle for 110."

And I will, too!  :-D :-D :evil:
Mike in Tacoma

"aww, what the hell - let's just do it".............

Bike #833
100cc A/G, A/F and APS/G (in 2019)

Offline Mike Borders

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 10:06:19 PM »
We started out 2 years ago to capture 4 records and get 2 Red hats:  G/BGRMR, G/BFRMR, H/BGRMR, & H/BFRMR.  Bonneville is a harsh taskmaster as we have 3 out of 4 records but no Red hats yet.  So, we're going for the last one in H/BGRMR, and hope to hit the minimums for the Hat.

Coming back with more HP and a smoother canopy, along with another year of valuable experience which is worth more than everything else!

Oh, and the ultimate goal:  Make new friends, see amazing cars/bikes, swap stories!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 10:14:17 PM »
First goal will be certainly trying to get this new engine running and dialed before August.  It's getting uncomfortably close.

But the goals I set out a few years back still hold.

The first MG to set a record on the salt was Goldie Gardner's MG EX135.  That was 1951.

In honor of that history, what I'm looking for is 135 hp on the dyno, and a pass at 135 mph.

To quote my press release in 2014:

"Through continued work and racing development, it is Milwaukee Midget Racing’s intent to keep and maintain class dominance in the one liter stock bodied sports car category, and maintain MG’s presence as both a historic and relevant marque in Land Speed Racing."

Probably drink some beer as well.  :cheers:

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline n49racer

• Faster Faster
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 10:52:46 PM »
After 2 years of trying to sort out the turbo EFI setup, we hope to get up close to 300. Let’s hope for really nice salt as the last couple years have been tough.

See ya on the salt  :cheers:
B/STR  209.97 best
B/RMR  248.45 Record Holder 2012
B/FRMR  248.85 Record Holder 2012
2 club member 2012

Offline Eddieschopshop

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2018, 11:56:41 PM »
Well lets see.... goals or wish list?

1.  Get to the track
2.  Get through tech
3.  Go A to B
4.   Qualify on 308 record
5.  Back it up
6.  Be the first to break 400 on gas
7.  Back it up again!
8.  Give George and team a run for the Hot Rod top speed trophy

I mean if your going to dream dream big!

Buamotorsport

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 01:12:13 AM »

Ha yes and stay ‘fresh’.

Buamotorsport

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2018, 01:16:50 AM »
I forgot to add :

Everyone have safe but fast week and please drive or ride safely....there is always another day.

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2018, 11:45:05 AM »
I second Sparkie's wish.
On Stainless's and Ron Joliff's recommendations I went, (kicking and screaming) into EFI.
I got behind with my project because at 77 my headlights got yellowed and foggy. Do you know how small those little wires are??? I don't want to let the smoke out. In the last few weeks I got the yellow sanded off and re-polished and even found out amazingly there is little bitty printing on those wires that tells me where they go. Time to get busy to fulfill a dream.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Buamotorsport

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2018, 02:29:50 PM »
I second Sparkie's wish.
On Stainless's and Ron Joliff's recommendations I went, (kicking and screaming) into EFI.
I got behind with my project because at 77 my headlights got yellowed and foggy. Do you know how small those little wires are??? I don't want to let the smoke out. In the last few weeks I got the yellow sanded off and re-polished and even found out amazingly there is little bitty printing on those wires that tells me where they go. Time to get busy to fulfill a dream.

Ron

We are still working with pumps n pills... lol. Tried electronic and found it extremely frustrating so back to what we know and understand. Monitoring wires only for us.

Online ronnieroadster

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2018, 09:57:15 PM »
Well it took me six runs on the salt in two years to get a red hat running a vintage engine most would be more than happy just with that. To accomplish that took untold hours long days and nights of end less work and preparation.   However this salt stuff is as bad as drugs were hooked so now Im looking at adding speed to my Flathead Ford record old motors go fast with a lot of hard work and A whole lot of luck. Now maybe if the coarse conditions allow keeping the gas pedal planted on the firewall should get us what we want time will tell. In the mean time its more untold hours long days and nights repeating what worked for us so far. See you on the salt.  :cheers:
 Ronnieroadster  
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 04:03:47 PM by ronnieroadster »
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Sequim Jim

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2018, 09:29:09 AM »
Last year, my mid  range was terrible and nobody makes needles to richen my carbs at mid-range. I think I have that problem fixed, so my goal would be 225 mph.
Best regards
Jim