Author Topic: Corvette Classification  (Read 7259 times)

Offline lake_harley

• New folks
Corvette Classification
« on: June 03, 2018, 03:49:30 PM »
I attended my first ECTA event yesterday at Blytheville. To say I was interested in participating at some point would be an understatement.

I've been studying the online rules and have uncertainty in just what class my '89 Corvette might fall into. I thought the Production /PRO class might be it, but then I see the /GT class and wonder if that's it. My car is stock and I have no thoughts of significant modifications like replacing the original engine with an LS3 or any other engine swap. That's where the confusion comes in.....about engine swaps and just what constitutes that. The LS engines are vastly different from the engine in my '89 Vette, but the /GT rules read to me like it would perhaps be an acceptable engine in that class. On the other hand, the /PRO class seems like it might be an appropriate class but it specifies a 4 passenger car, if I read it correctly, and that would kick out any Vette.

Now, just to clarify, I have no intentions to pour massive amount of money into my car. I'd be racing mostly for the fun of it and doubt my car would ever be a contender to hold any record. However, I'd have second thoughts about bothering to prep my Vette for LSR if it fell into a class that allowed modifications so that my car couldn't even run within 15-20% of the record. I intend to continue using it pretty much in it's stock configuration on the streets, but of course comply with safety requirements; ie: belts, seat, roll bar, and whatever other equipment it would take to comply for a particular class.

I'd appreciate some input from someone who has had a similar situation or has a good understanding of the "spirit" of the rules.

Thanks

Lynn

Offline RichFox

Re: Corvette Classification
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 04:18:24 PM »
You are right that your car would not be a legal Production class entry. GT or Mod Sports would seem to fit. Sounds like you want to be in GT. I don't know about ECTA Real Street rules. Maybe you would find a better home there. Safety equipment in GT may make actual street use of your car impractical.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 04:25:49 PM »
The 'vette would fall under GT. 
ECTA pretty much follows SCTA rules, so you'll likely need a cage.
SCTA allows swaps within the manufacturers range, so just about any gasoline Chevy engine will likely be permitted.
ECTA is a bit lenient on some specs, so I'd make a call, but definitely get a rule book.
Have fun with it!
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 07:54:26 PM »
You may want to consider racing at Bonneville.... 130 and 150 Club with the USFRA.  Rules are online at their website.

LSR safety equipment is pretty tough on the wallet.  Look at the rules wherever you plan to fit in

Have fun  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline lake_harley

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 08:11:34 PM »
Thanks to all for the timely replies and thoughts. I don't particularly have a preferred class but it did read to me like the /GT class would likely be where my Vette would fit. I have an older SCTA rulebook and have also looked at ECTA rules that are available online. I didn't exactly read in detail at this point but they are almost identical by what I saw. I have no idea of how fast my '89 Vette would be at a mile, but my best guess would be 130-ish, and maybe that's being optimistic. I think the record for C/GT is 170+ if my short-term memory isn't completely shot. Like I said, I'd be brand new to LSR racing but I think it would take a whole bunch of HP, compared to my rather anemic C4, to run 170 or even within 10% of that. Then yes, the safety equipment, seat, belts, firesuit, roll cage and on and on get really serious.

"Real Street" rules was mentioned. Did I quit reading too early in the online ECTA rules? What's that all about?

Thanks!

Lynn

Offline RichFox

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 08:14:17 PM »
file:///C:/Users/RichFox/AppData/Local/Temp/ECTA-street-category-1.pdf   Check it out. Very similar  to USFRA 130mclub

Offline lake_harley

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2018, 08:40:44 PM »
I'm not sure if I found what you're referring to RichFox. I couldn't get what you posted to work like most "links" do, but I looked at the rulebook section on ECTA's website and think I found the section you refer to, Real Street - /GRS and /FRS. Just one paragraph???? No rules are that short, are they?  :-o

Lynn

Offline RichFox

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2018, 10:43:04 PM »
It's for street driven cars that run around 130. Just what you want. Rules are like Wednesday night test and tune for street driven cars at the drag strip. If you want lots of rules, build for GT. Try G/RS. You will love it. Who needs lots of rules anyway?

Offline lake_harley

• New folks
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2018, 08:25:49 AM »
Thanks again, RichFox! You can tell by my single-digit post count that although I'm 65 and have been a car nut all of my life that I'm a real noobie to all of this LSR stuff. Beware though....I get a feeling, after only being around on forums for a short time, about who to listen to and who's just talking. I'm already convinced you're one of the "go-to" people here!!

Thanks

Lynn
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 12:32:34 PM by lake_harley »

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2018, 12:35:32 PM »
If you want lots of rules, build for GT.

I can confirm that statement.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Ultra Mike

• New folks
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2018, 12:23:50 AM »
I'd Like to add what I know about the Vette dilemma you are describing. .....................!!  NOTHING.

I fit into the Modern Street class and what's been said about the cost of safety improvements is spot on. AND lets not forger the other comment. Those improvements make our street cars much less practical for everyday use. But.... truthfully, I wouldn't do it another way. I just don't use my back seat any longer and I remove the side bars from my cage for street use. I'd love to reach for a record but small improvements are very rewarding and NO cops or tickets on the runway.

I'm a few years your senior so what I'll say has more sway.  "It's the most fun you can have with your clothes on"

Mike
Birds fly and so too do I

Offline White Monster

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2018, 10:26:12 AM »
Strupp Services, Inc. is the operator of the ECTA (East Coast Timing Association), so why not just call Steve ?
Here is the number he posted on his FB page; 812 305 0710
Be safe, go fast, have FUN !