Author Topic: Questions about going to the Flats  (Read 10005 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Questions about going to the Flats
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2018, 07:00:59 AM »
Thirst and water:  One way I explain to non-racers how Bville works -- is telling them that damn near every time you walk up to someone's pit or whatever, the first words I hear will be something like "Hi.  Need a drink?"

We ALL take staying hydrated pretty seriously.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Buamotorsport

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2018, 08:37:44 AM »
You are always welcome to stop by 7707 pits and rest awhile. Its good to have shade sometimes.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2018, 09:13:31 AM »
I actually got out of drag racing about 12 years ago.

Now right there lies the problem.

I know of nobody who "got out of racing" who doesn't have a pile of parts lying around.

Then they go to Bonneville to "spectate", and two years later, that pile of parts is flying down the track.

It's a slippery slope - just sayin' . . .  :wink:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2018, 02:15:39 PM »
An Englishman Ian Northeast has a Jensen V8 car ready for the salt flats but he needs some final help/advice.

Please take a look at Introduce Yourself, Reply 3634.

Ian is new to Landracing.com so I am using this thread to get him in touch with the knowledgeable. He has a website for the car for the World's Fastest Jensen. Please support this racer who came to Pendine Sands last month for some practice runs. Thank You.

Malcolm, UK, Derby.
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline Kordyte

• New folks
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2018, 05:17:51 PM »
Semi-related question that I figured wasn't worth starting a new thread for... I'll be going to Bonneville for the first time this year with a motorcycle, competing in a few classes at the AMA BMST event, not Speed Week. Is a pit bike, like a TTR125, a) allowed in the paddock/parking area, and b) useful/helpful to get around, for this event? I have one I can bring and I always do when I road race, but I don't want to haul it there if we're not going to use it.

Offline maj

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2018, 05:30:54 PM »
Pits can be long and prestage further out, a pit bike is pretty much a necessity , bring a second helmet for it

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2018, 07:35:33 PM »
However please note the requirements for a license for any pit bike/vehicle.  If you've got a highway license, that's dandy, but if it has an ORV tag form a state other than Utah you'll need to either prove your (license) state has reciprocity with Utah - or just buy a Utah permit.

The rules are only a couple of years old.  (Somebody help me here -- where's the easiest-to-find posting of the ORV rules?).  Let's make sure you see them.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2018, 09:51:24 AM »
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Kordyte

• New folks
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2018, 12:22:36 PM »
Ok. I definitely don't have an ORV sticker, my state essentially has no public land to ride on so nobody has one. So $35 for a state sticker to ride it, might be worth it.

https://stateparks.utah.gov/activities/off-highway-vehicles/ohv-laws-rules/
Looks like a helmet isn't LEGALLY required, correct?

A bicycle should be fine to get around with no permits?

Offline maj

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2018, 06:01:23 PM »
I think the helmet is part of the AMA regs

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2018, 12:27:03 AM »

A bicycle should be fine to get around with no permits?

I've done it.  It's actually a good alternative to driving everywhere. 

:cheers:

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline comet

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2018, 10:52:54 AM »
I believe that if riding a motorcycle around pits etc at the BMST event then a helmet is required.

Offline Chad M

• New folks
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2018, 08:33:48 PM »
I Thought I'd update you all on how my first time went.

1: IT WAS AWESOME!!!!

2: yes, no way I believe even in a week you can see it all. This place just oozes cool for literally miles.

3: I can not stress drinking enough water.....I sadly did not and ended my only day there early. Six bottles in 3.5 hours apparently was not enough. Yup, I dehydrated, with cool clammy skin, and red blotches until I somehow managed to get to the car for relief from the AC and more water. I had plenty in the trunk, just didn't bring enough with me walking. I had walked about 6 miles. This all kinda scared me so I pretty much called it a day unfortunately.

Six bottles of water may be my whole days intake while at work here on the east coast. I thought I was doing good for the short time period. I was wrong, you all warned me.

4: IT WAS AWESOME!!!!

5: The spectator cars were every bit as good as the race cars. I bet I took more pics of some serious traditional built hot rods than race cars there. I was blown away at some of the quality built stuff out there.

6: Did not realize you could drive around until I walked 6 miles of it. I never even got to the impound area, or made it to the starting line area (which looked a little confusing to get to). I missed looking at some killer cars because they were probably all at the start line as the trucks and trailers were pretty empty.

7: The racers were very nice. If you had questions about there cars, they were willing to answer them.

8: I bought lots of t-shirts, yet still not enough. You guys and gals have some really cool shirts made up.

9: IT WAS AWESOME!!!!

10: While this can be crossed off on my bucket list, I would like to return someday to spend at least two full days there. I am not sure if that will happen. I did some other pretty cool stuff (to me) in Utah while there, which is why I could not spend as much time at the flats.

11: I taped garbage bags to the floor of the rental, put the same duct tape on the pedal pads, on the bottoms of my shoes too, and i still spent some time vacuuming out the car. I also got it washed by whatever group I had heard about on here that was washing cars at the gas station off the exit. Seemed like a good cause so I donated, saved me from washing it. And I drove carefully to not try and fling that stuff everywhere. We rented down by my parents house in St George, so there was really no questions.

I think that is all. It really was an amazing time, I soooo wanted to see Danny Thompsons car and possibly a run, and I never did either. He ran the first run probably about the time I was in line paying to get in I figure. I missed alot of other amazing cars because I never got to the line (I certainly did not understand the myriad of cones in place that made the bend to the start line). I really hope someday I can make it back there. It is such an amazing place and a step back into and fowards into history all at the same time.

Thank You for all of the advice. I hope this also helps a newbie spectator in the future.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2018, 01:05:45 PM »
Those cones can be confusing.  A couple lead to line-up for #1 course.  Others lead over to #2 and around to access to #3 and #4.  There is some signage, but if you stop and ask someone, almost everyone is friendly and helpful as you found out.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records