Author Topic: Questions about going to the Flats  (Read 10007 times)

Offline Chad M

• New folks
Questions about going to the Flats
« on: May 28, 2018, 05:52:03 PM »
Hi all, I am hoping to check off a bucket list item this year and get to the Flats for the first time as a spectator.

I have read alot of great things to prepare for the trip there thanks to this forum. I think my biggest fear is getting the rental stuck on the salt (I will be coming in from Vegas / southern Utah for other reasons).

I won't have alot of time to spend there so therein lies my question. I am planning on the being there Saturday. Is this a good day to view some racing? I "may" be able to extend my stay to Sunday depending on how things play out, but am not planning on that at the moment.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
Re: Questions about going to the Flats
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 05:55:43 PM »
Saturday is the first day for racing.  Sunday evening there is usually "Salt Talks" at the Bonneville museum site.  Every night at the Nugget is a great "car show" that is a must attend.  You won't (shouldn't) get your rental stuck.
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline RichFox

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 06:37:33 PM »
Because of the drivers meeting and rookie orientation, racing doesn't start as early on Saturday as on other days. But you may well enjoy the drivers meeting. If you get stuck, it's your own fault for going where you were warned not to.

Offline Chad M

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 07:53:08 PM »
Thanks for the responses. I will take all of it into advisement. I answered a question off line for someone, yes this is for Speed Week in August. I didn't book the hotel for Saturday night, but that could change so we can go again Sunday. We actually will be staying just outside Salt Lake. Yes I know it is quite a hike to the flats still, but it fit what else our schedule had.

I am assuming the well traveled paths get packed down better so getting stuck shouldn't be an issue. I have my list of must haves I have already packed, thanks to searching previous threads on this site. Big hat, sunscreen, light colored clothing, duct tape and garbage bags to line the car interior with, cooler with lots of water...and the camera. Probably some other things I forgot to mention.

Hoping for good conditions, I can't wait!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 07:56:11 PM by Chad M »

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 08:19:50 PM »
If this is something you have been wanting to do for years (bucket list) I can tell you that one day is not nearly enough.  You will want to see all the cars in the pits, in the line, leaving the start line and going down the track.... There is a lot to see... better plan to be there longer...
unless this is just a "mini-pail" list item.  :|
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2018, 08:50:40 PM »
You'll want to be there for the drivers meeting.  It's about the coolest feeling there is - standing with a crowd of people that just wanna go fast and you're at the fastest race track in the world.  And when the meeting ends you're allowed to drive down the race course.  The drive takes place about 10.30-11 Saturday morning and is followed immediately by racing.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2018, 10:41:34 PM »
Just so we're clear -

Odds are high that you'll come to spectate, and the next thing you know, you'll be eyeing up your garage and thinking, "ya know, I've got room to build a bike/car/streamliner/lakester", and 25 years later, you'll still be working on a record - even if it's yours.

It all starts innocently enough . . .
Hi all, I am hoping to check off a bucket list item this year and get to the Flats for the first time as a spectator.

Visiting the Grand Canyon is a bucket list item.  Scoring tickets to "Hamilton" is a bucket list item.  Hell, going over Niagra Falls in a barrel is a bucket list item.

Bonneville is a bit more.

You'll see.   :wink:

Oh, as far as getting stuck.

It's vast and disorienting at times, but it'll be pretty clear where you can drive.

If in doubt, don't go there.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline RichFox

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2018, 12:58:54 AM »
I have got to agree that Saturday afternoon is not nearly enough to see most of what there is to see. It's big.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2018, 01:32:13 AM »
If you stay where everybody else is you won't get stuck. There's free RV parking/camping at the bend, you'll see where everyone else is but if it starts raining, get the hell out of there while you can because it gets slicker than snot when it's wet.
Bonneville is the friendliest race venue so don't be afraid to visit the pits, talk to racers & have fun.
  Sid.

Offline comet

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2018, 03:54:42 AM »
Saturday afternoon will be fine. But I bet you come back again next year for more. It happened to me. I just wanted to step on the salt once. Just watch a little bit of racing, once. See the sun rise over the salty horizon, once. That was 12 years ago and the wife and I will be back again this year to watch.
If your camera is a DLSR, try not to change the lens out there more often than you really need to. Salt and electronics do not mix well. The salt will get in to your camera. It will. My first trip to the salt also cost me a new camera. Still, it was a great upgrade, so not all bad.  :-D

Enjoy your first trip, there is far too much to take in with just a few hours on the salt, but enjoy it and relish.

John

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2018, 12:29:02 PM »
Sun screen.  end of rant. :cheers:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Online jacksoni

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2018, 01:40:55 PM »
Sun screen.  end of rant. :cheers:
And put it under your chin, bottom of your nose, and any place else where the sun don't shine that might be exposed. Have seen some young ladies, purportedly without under things, with very short skirts. Course maybe they were used to it.  :wink: :evil:
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2018, 03:14:45 PM »
Jack said:   "...Have seen some young ladies, purportedly without under things, with very short skirts. Course maybe they were used to it.  wink evil..."

Ditto guys of the commando persuasion and wearing baggy shorts. :roll: :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Chad M

• New folks
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2018, 07:02:09 PM »
Trust me when I say I have enough hobbies that consume my free time and dollars. I actually got out of drag racing about 12 years ago. I am more than happy to just watch, and have zero interest in picking up any type of racing.

Sun screen SPF 100 is already purchased and packed in with things to go. I plan on long pants and probably shirt too.

I will look into maybe staying for at least Sunday part of the day. I understand I will be missing alot, but just don't have the time to totally dedicate myself to the week. Besides, then I might really become addicted, LOL.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2018, 12:52:58 AM »
Saturday & Sunday are the best spectator days. Bring a wide brim hat & if it gets real hot a squirt bottle of water is cooling.
  Sid.