Author Topic: Engine Compartment Venting  (Read 9060 times)

Offline n49racer

• Faster Faster
Engine Compartment Venting
« on: May 12, 2018, 09:02:16 PM »
OK. I’ve searched an found nothing. Last year we had a small oil mist explosion and fire. With the twin turbos we also have a lot of under hood heat. I’m wondering, on a our closed engine compartment we have the trunk lid louvered to vent air from the engine area. What are the thoughts on adding small vents at the front of the compartment to let some air in to get some of the hot air out?   

Ok Batter Up :-D
B/STR  209.97 best
B/RMR  248.45 Record Holder 2012
B/FRMR  248.85 Record Holder 2012
2 club member 2012

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Engine Compartment Venting
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 09:29:39 PM »
We do not have turbos-- but we make sure we vent so that we dont burn plug wires off and if we ever have a fire we are sure trying to pull the flames away from the fuel
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline n49racer

• Faster Faster
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 09:35:06 PM »
Thanks Sparky. There’s a lot of heat in there, the problem might come from having our fuel tank at the rear.

Ted
B/STR  209.97 best
2 club member 2012

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 09:48:29 PM »
For a start, blanket the turbo's & hot pipes so the heat goes out the pipe. This guy can build you custom stuff for that & it won't cost you an arm & a leg. It's so good that it feels like warm laundry with your hand on the turbo after a run. Turbo Performance Products. 208-251-9141.
Putting fresh air into a fire at speed will feed it oxygen & turn it into a monster.
Build a cheap fire warning system using furnace snap switches hooked up to a warning light, works bitchin!
  Sid.

Offline n49racer

• Faster Faster
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 09:58:21 PM »
Thanks Sid  I’ll take a look. We do have blankets and have everything wrapped.  It still gets pretty warm in there. I was just thinking of venting some of the hot air.

Ted
B/STR  209.97 best
2 club member 2012

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2018, 05:02:23 PM »
We had similar concerns on the Honda Hawk streamliner. It was a turbocharged twin engine bike and we used NACA ducts, one on each side to supply cooling air to each 750cc engine. 4 ducts for cooling. You need to allow the air to flow through the engine compartment and exhaust from the vehicle.
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2018, 05:04:04 PM »
We also used a NACA duct to directly feed air to the turbocharger on the top of the bike.

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2018, 05:22:33 PM »
Here are a couple of better views of the turbo insulation and the air venting inside the engine bay.

Offline n49racer

• Faster Faster
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2018, 08:08:00 PM »
Thanks Mayoman
I also had a talk with Don Ferguson and thank him again if he's on the forum. He too said he had to run scoops at the front of the engine compartment with reversed NACA ducts at the rear of the streamliner. He said without the venting, all the zip ties melted holding his spark plug wires. Just 1 more thin to do before SpeedWeek.

ted
B/STR  209.97 best
2 club member 2012

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2018, 09:20:40 PM »
I am always amazed that people run NACA ducts backwards to vent air from the inside of a car. They don't work backwards! Kind of goes with an old NASCAR saying, "If Petty won a race dragging a dead cow across the finish line, there wouldn't be a cow in the country come the next race!" Monkey see, monkey do. Take some time to see exactly what makes a NACA duct work then it becomes obvious that they don't work backwards.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2018, 10:20:40 PM »
Rex, any hole will "leak"!  :x But some "leaks" are more efficient than others!  :-o :-D
Properly designed you can produce some usable thrust with the added heat!  :cheers: :cheers:
BUB7 does this - ask Denis Manning!  :cheers:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Eddieschopshop

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2018, 11:01:50 PM »
I use a combination of different facing louvers to allow some air to chase down along side the exhaust through the engine bay.  Gets a little cooling and in theory it actually helps the aero.  By stripping away the boundary layer in one place and filling in another.  Pretty hard to prove this though..

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2018, 12:58:37 AM »
but it sounds so cool when one explains this "stuff" to others  :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2018, 09:28:52 AM »
I was going to reply about running the NACA ducts backwards, but Rex and Woody beat me to it. The PDF drawing of the Honda Hawk illustrates one solution which also provides good parachute deployment as well. The BUB streamliner uses similar strategy. Anyhow, the NACA duct is an INLET duct and the aerodynamic principle does not working in reverse.

Offline Bratfink

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2018, 11:56:40 AM »
Take air in the vehicle at the stagnation region. Take air out the car at areas of high velocity.

The trick is finding the right areas  :wink: