Author Topic: Wheel weights  (Read 3337 times)

Offline bearingburner

Wheel weights
« on: April 28, 2018, 09:15:11 AM »
Has anyone used stick on wheel weights? Clip on type prevent my moon disk from seating properly.
If you have used them what speed did you use them at?

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: Wheel weights
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 09:50:16 AM »
They are used a lot for bike wheels.  They are placed where the spinning force of the rotating wheel forces them against the rim.  The faster you go the more they are held down.  There is no limiting speed for bikes.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2018, 10:02:08 AM »
246 for the lakester... we use them, they stick on, but we always put speed tape on them, that keeps one the the segments from being lost.

Edit... I guess I should add that on the front wheels, that is about 4700 rpm if I did the math correctly for the 17.5 inch tall tire.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 10:07:13 AM by Stainless1 »
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2018, 10:13:49 AM »
On our street cars I have Moon discs - and I have the wheels balanced with the weights on the inside of the rims so they don't prevent the discs from seating right.  Works well but it does take a bit of extra work to get the wheels balanced right.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2018, 10:36:44 AM »
We ran stick on weights on Betsy beyond 400 & front wheels were turning over 7k rpm. You need a good horizontal surface & we duct taped over them to keep the dust out. Cut them down if they're too wide for the ledge. We never lost one.
  Sid.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2018, 04:38:25 PM »
We've taped 'em for years -- plus you can easily see if they've taken off on their own.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2018, 07:34:57 PM »
I also use stick on weights and add metallic tape on top of them just in case so far up to 225 MPH weights stay put.

Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 08:11:36 AM »
Slim
       I told shop to put weight on inside. They said the couldn't get them balanced with weights on inside of wheel.

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2018, 02:26:58 AM »
Find one that can/will. I took my salt tires/wheels to have them balanced, they said they couldn't be balanced. Took them to a different shop, he said you spin them and ad weight where told, spin them again and ad weight where the machine says to, spin them again and ad weight. Every time the machine said less weight and a different place than  the time before. They balanced. Other than that add balancing powder that they use in semi truck tires, constantly balancing.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2018, 02:36:32 AM »
If you can find somebody who will keep re spinning until they zero out, you have struck gold. Most places won't even re spin them once. I bought my own equipment for this very reason.
  Sid.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2018, 09:31:55 AM »
I've bought from a Mom-and-Pop gas and service station here in the area for a few decades, and they're nothing special in the way of service - save that they've become good at balancing my car and truck wheels on the inside.  I've also had good service from a local (small) chain tire business.

Suum cuique.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2018, 11:13:35 AM »
Slim
       I told shop to put weight on inside. They said the couldn't get them balanced with weights on inside of wheel.

Then you've got the wrong shop.

Find a reputable place that specializes in doing quality aftermarket aluminum rims for high-end cars. 

You're looking for a shop with late-model Porsches and BMWs on the rack.

Avoid the shop with 15 year old Hondas and Subarus on jacks.   :wink:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline distributorguy

• Advanced Distributors
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2018, 11:39:35 AM »
I always seek out the local shops that have Road Force balancers.  If they know how to calibrate the machine, (not all do) then they can use any arrangement of weights you can dream up.  Mine have pound-on lip weights and stick-on as needed for the best balance.  You can't always achieve the perfect balance with only stick-on weights, but you can pretty get close.

If you're looking for who has the Roadforce Eilte balancers, there's a listing and map on the Hunter website. 
https://www.hunter.com/wheel-balancers/road-force-elite
No affiliation. 
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. 
Racing is the evil modification of insanity.