Author Topic: New Fire Extinguisher RULES  (Read 3978 times)

Offline Papi

New Fire Extinguisher RULES
« on: April 23, 2018, 04:40:58 PM »
Attention in the Pits!
Do you have the right safety/support Fire Extinguisher? Here are the NEW Support Vehicle - Fire Safety Fire Extinguisher Guidelines, which REQUIRES a minimum 10:B-C Rating. Do you know what a 10-B:C Extinguisher is? It doesn't mean 10 pounds, so read on!
2018 SCTA/BNI Rule Changes:

3. Relevant Rule: 1.l PUSH VEHICLE FIRE EXTINGUISHER Page # 14
Third paragraph delete “(4-lb. minimum)” and replace with bold in CAPS; A FIRE
EXTINGUISHER WITH A MINIMUM RATING OF 10-B:C and …

Section 3.Q Page: 49 4
th paragraph, Delete “minimum of one 4-lb.” Add Bold
“All push/recovery/support vehicles are required to have at least one portable fire extinguisher
with a minimum rating of 10-B:C.

There are basically four classes of extinguishers – A, B, C and D – and each class can put out a different type of fire.
Class A extinguishers will put out fires in ordinary combustibles such as wood and paper...
Class B extinguishers are for use on flammable liquids like grease, gasoline and oil...
Class C extinguishers are suitable for use only on electrically energized fires...
Class D extinguishers are designed for use on flammable metals...

The SCTA/BNI requires you have a minimum 10-B:C Extinguisher that is charged and ready with your safety support vehicle/crew. The Number, (in this case "10") is a rating of coverage to extinguish a fire.

The numbers indicate how much of the fire can be put out by the fire extinguisher. Every number before the Letter Code (A) means it is as effective as 1 ¼ gallons of water. For example, 2-A means the fire extinguisher is as effective as 2 ½ gallons of water, and so on. The numbers before B and C are a measure of the amount of square feet the fire extinguisher can put out. For example, a 10:BC fire extinguisher can extinguish a fire over a 10 sqft area. The most preferred type of Fire Extinguisher used by support teams is a "Dry Chemical" Extinguisher. I prefer a Dry Chemical Extinguisher with a Hose Nozzle attached so I can aim the chemical at the fire while keeping the extinguisher vertical so I don't drain the gas propellent before all the Dry Powder is used up.

Below is a picture and a Label from the Extinguishers we carry in our support vehicles and trailers. I like a strong combo unit that is 4A + 60-B:C. This means I have the extinguishing power of 5 gallons of water for paper/wood fires, or 60 square feet of Gas or Electrical Fires. The extinguisher itself below is approx 15 pounds. So I am covered well beyond the "minimum" requirement. We carry approx 4 of these onto the race area and they are with us at all times mounted in 4 separate areas for easy access.

Go check your Extinguisher(s) today. Make sure they are fully charged, meet the 10-B:C minimum requirement and are packed in your support vehicle ready for inspection! Let's all be SAFE and FAST this year! --Papi
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 05:02:11 PM by Papi »
Steve "Papi" Chappell, SCTA-BNI #2230 to 2239
Dirty 2 Club Member, Mojave Mile 2 Club Member
San Diego Roadster Club

Offline Stan Back

Re: New Fire Extinguisher RULES
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 04:54:56 PM »
Between this, the new arm restraints, the new Driver's Log Book, the drivers having to do course walks – everyone may be ready to run and inspected by Monday.

(Watch for turtles!)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 04:59:23 PM by Stan Back »
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Papi

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 05:03:30 PM »
I think we will all be just fine. Should go well over the two day, and we will be safer too!  :cheers:
Steve "Papi" Chappell, SCTA-BNI #2230 to 2239
Dirty 2 Club Member, Mojave Mile 2 Club Member
San Diego Roadster Club

Offline jdincau

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 05:18:40 PM »
Between this, the new arm restraints, the new Driver's Log Book, the drivers having to do course walks – everyone may be ready to run and inspected by Monday.

(Watch for turtles!)
Drivers do course walks?
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 05:32:58 PM »
Yep -- last I heard of the revised El Mirage Procedures.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline jdincau

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 05:59:34 PM »
I just down loaded the 2018 EMP and there was no mention of it. We don't camp at the lake bed, hanging around till 5 PM will be a real drag.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 09:29:10 PM »

That's me done with El Mirage.  It was fun while it lasted.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 10:53:52 AM »
Times, they are a changing..... Hopefully the BLM will let us run another year. Tradition and 1937 means nothing to those folks and it is sad.
As for walking the course, as a driver all these years I always did on the meets I was running plus my duty which is Sunday May which means I walk the course Saturday afternoon for my Club.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 10:57:36 AM »
That's going to cut into my margarita consumption :cheers:
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline mtiberio

• ElMo MPG1K 141, LTA MPF1K 137, ECTA MPG1K 118
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 12:02:36 PM »

(Watch for turtles!)
Drivers do course walks?

Have not seen "drivers must do course walk" anywhere.

Offline Eddieschopshop

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2018, 03:16:48 PM »
All drivers should do course walk.  The exception being people who are otherwise involved or volunteering to put on the event in some way.  Most of the people avoiding it are the people who could use some extra walking.   There are too many people who take advantage of all the hard work of others.  Remember this isn't a paid business who are making money off your entry fees. 

I don't see anything wrong with any of the "new" procedures and the only problem will be people who don't try to keep up in the off season and just show up and then want to complain about how they didn't know or it wasn't that way in the past. 

Offline Eddieschopshop

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2018, 03:18:57 PM »
I just down loaded the 2018 EMP and there was no mention of it. We don't camp at the lake bed, hanging around till 5 PM will be a real drag.

We all want to get to town and have dinner and a shower.  It should be part of the deal.  The tire/crash you save could be your own.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2018, 04:19:19 PM »
I may have jumped the gun on that.

Just take it as a warning -- so you won't be surprised.

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2018, 06:30:28 PM »
I may have jumped the gun on that.

Just take it as a warning -- so you won't be surprised.

Good.  My 100 yard knees thank you.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.