Author Topic: Inspector  (Read 6650 times)

Offline deep in debt motorsports

Inspector
« on: April 12, 2018, 10:50:12 AM »
I am hoping we could meet with an SCTA inspector in regards to rule 3.E.(sealed drivers compartment)We purchased a roadster that does not meet the rule and want,need clarification on what exactly needs to be done so we can continue to compete.To completely seal off our drivers area may require a complete redesign of car which may not be in the cards.Car has been legally raced since 91 until now due to rule change.We were allowed to run in 2017 at WOS(great guys)but we know it must be addressed now.WE were also hoping to run Elmo this year but that's a no go.I live in central Ca and hoping we could meet up with an inspector who may live within a couple hundred mile radius?Thanks in advance.
#327 C/GR

Offline MRK

Re: Inspector
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 11:04:51 AM »
I suggest you contact Steve Davies ( Chief Car Inspector ). He may be able to direct you to someone in your area who can assist. His contact info is in the rule book. Good luck.
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." Steve McQueen

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 11:13:38 AM »
Dave Davidsons crew are in the Chico area. The run 3 or 4 roadsters out of that shop. Stop in for a visit. Vintage Hot Rods.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 11:19:35 AM »
I think the rule's pretty clear.  It doesn't say that it needs to be sealed off.  Says a floor or aft bulkhead is required. Obviously suspension components may need to protrude from inside the car to out thus you'd have close fitting openings for that but what you don't want is the back of the car to be totally and completely open. 
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Eddieschopshop

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 11:23:27 AM »
I am in Orangevale /  Folsom CA.  If you want to bring it by I may be able to help.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 12:34:57 PM »
Deep --

Go back to your "Profile" and enter your location – it'll help you get even more replies.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 09:48:00 AM »
Thanks for the replies,I have reached out to Steve Davies so i will see where that goes.
Eddie I may still take you up on your offer as soon as I hear from Steve,thank you all.
Steve Hutchinson
#327 C/GR

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2018, 07:42:18 PM »
Spoke with Steve Davies,were screwed,he interpits that it must be sealed off just like a fire wall.100% sealed off!!period.!Interpitation?.Eddie,would appreciate if we could come pay you a visit this Friday?Can I give you a call?
Thanks
Hutch
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 01:01:27 AM by deep in debt motorsports »
#327 C/GR

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 11:35:10 AM »
Well I'm actually the person who introduced the rule so I pretty well know what I meant when I wrote it.  I specifically didn't add any wording about being 100% sealed because that'd be very difficult if not impossible for a lot of cars.  The idea was that having something like a bulkhead or flooring with tight fitting openings for suspension components was way better than being totally open and exposed to fire and dust (at El Mirage).  This is also explicitly why I did NOT use the word "firewall" in my wording since firewall would more or less imply needing to be fully sealed.  I've never required that adaptation of this part of the rule be 100% sealed. 

My advice - get out some cardboard, scissors and tape and start mocking up a rear bulkhead.  Everyone else has had to do it so you can figure it out too.  If you want to race, you're gunna have to get something back there.  Do what you can to make it as effective as possible with an eye towards trying to make it as sealed off as you can.  That will go a lot further than having nothing back there at all.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 12:58:06 PM »
Understood but unfortunately Steve has a different opinion.This is why I'm not going to just wing it and leave it up to interpretation,show up and get turned away because it may not be done correctly.Will be meeting Eddie soon I hope so we can nail down what to do to meet rule.Thanks again for responses.
#327 C/GR

Offline revolutionary

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2018, 12:31:24 PM »
As a note, I have the rear 4 link bars in my car protrude through the rear bulkhead. I did some measuring and had had Thermal Control Products, that makes NASCAR shifter boot and firewall cable covers, make me some custom fire retardant boots to go over the bars.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 12:33:22 PM by revolutionary »
Breaking Wind #9614
  ECTA Record AA/BGALT 214.8
  SCTA Bonneville PB AA/BGALT 237.4
Breaking Wind "Spirit of Effluvium" #451
  SCTA Bonneville Record SC/BF100 48.931

Offline modelAsteve

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2018, 12:54:14 PM »
Why not just block it all off and avoid all this BS?
It's a lot easier to do at home than on the salt with old beer cans!

Offline will6er

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2018, 11:04:51 PM »
How about a picture?

Will Willis

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2018, 05:51:52 PM »
Nathan, the rule as you intended it is correct in my way of feeling. Personally for me I conformed to a complete floorboard from the end on the step pan back to the back of the body and a sealed area where the driveshaft went from the trans back a must especially at El Mirage. Like described above another "sealing" bulkhead behind the driver would be extremely hard to do in many cars especially roadsters. I conformed to your intent of the rules many years ago but an additional sealed bulk head behind me would be very difficult if not impossible.
With this said, there is no way you are going to be the final word on it that will come from the head inspector after an inspector denies a car and the owner/driver asks for a clarification. I hope it will not come to that for any car unless it does nothing/very little to seal the driver from the elements or fire.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro