Poll

Whats your name

mark
0 (0%)
mirk
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: 500 MPH WHEEL DRIVEN  (Read 17870 times)

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
Re: 500 MPH WHEEL DRIVEN
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2018, 01:59:19 PM »
I'm more referring to your instantaneous reading of 500 mph rather than averaging the speed over a specified distance, normally mph or kph. The instantaneous speed reading removes much of the challenge.

Pete

Ooh, this sounds a lot like the battle between The Blue Flame and The Budweiser Rocket. I will let Dick Keller fill in the blanks.

John

Offline Speeditaly

• New folks
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2018, 02:39:11 PM »
Yes Pete...butt WHEEL DRIVEN!
@RichFox:  landspeed for me is speed on land...even my road car is land speed. I posted this thread in the general chart..and only to ask the help of people like you that have big experience in this area..so i don t think that is out of the spirit of this community. ... :wink: :cheers:

Offline RichFox

« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2018, 03:02:02 PM »
the land speed record (or absolute land speed record) is the highest speed achieved by a person using a vehicle on land. There is no single body for validation and regulation; in practice the Category C ("Special Vehicles") flying start regulations are used, officiated by regional or national organizations under the auspices of the Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile.[1] The land speed record (LSR) is standardized as the speed over a course of fixed length, averaged over two runs (commonly called "passes").[2] Two runs are required in opposite directions within one hour, and a new record mark must exceed the previous one by at least one percent to be validated. .....................................................i GOOGLED IT.

Offline Speeditaly

• New folks
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2018, 04:32:23 PM »
Ok. I agree....Bugatti veyron has  guinness world record for fastest production car 431 km/h. It TOUCHED 434 km/h in one direction and 429 in the other way.
It had not averaged two way 1 mile pass. But It is consider the fastest.  Ok. I don't want the Land speed record ...but only to build the absolute fastest car. :-)....In the remote case in witch this car will may ever be build and hit 500 mph mark for first time in history...someone will consider it a big record ...other people will not consider this achievement. STOP.
My post is not about the definition of land speed record.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2018, 05:35:31 PM »
Yes Pete...butt WHEEL DRIVEN!
@RichFox:  landspeed for me is speed on land...even my road car is land speed. I posted this thread in the general chart..and only to ask the help of people like you that have big experience in this area..so i don t think that is out of the spirit of this community. ... :wink: :cheers:

Where did I infer something other than wheel driven???  :? :? :?

All you're trying to do is make the effort easier. I don't think it should be. If it becomes easier it loses its value.

Pete

Offline edinlr

« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2018, 10:47:21 PM »
Speeditaly, bench racing is fun but you need to use better comparisons.  The Bugatti (which costs a million dollars+) may have run 434 km, but that is only 269 mph and barely half way to 500 mph.  There are lots of $50,000 to $75,000 race cars that will run at least that fast.  Building the horsepower to get to 500 will be simple, assuming you have enough money to call Kenny Dutweiler or Reher-Morrison.  Then all you need is a good chassis, a crew who can handle every detail under terrible conditions, an experienced driver, lots of dyno time, wind tunnel time, testing, and a perfect course.  How much simpler can it get?

You can be assured that all of the cars that run 350 to 400+ mph have done the calculations to see how much horsepower is needed for a certain speed, but even if they had the power, the course, tires, and conditions require lots of planets and stars to align perfectly.
Honda CX650 turbo, Kawasaki H2 Ninja, Kawasaki ZX750 turbo

Offline Speeditaly

• New folks
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2018, 04:52:33 AM »
Hi Edlnr,
your words are correct. Volkswagen has spent million of dollars to build Veyron: 434 kph with those kind of constraints is a big achievement.
Big goals need big efforts.  It is not possible make a 500mph car with little budgets….My  intent is not to build a low budget hot rod. Make a 500mph prototype is totally different than build a 200mph modified –production car….In my head, this sort of car could be developed by a crew like treit & davemport, carbinite or bloodhound.  They are not mega budget car-makers (like Volkswagen…or even JCB with dieselmax) but structured teams with very experienced crew and quite big sponsor….I think that a crew like that could have the right  characteristics to build a car like my proposal….until someone of this forum show me some impassable issue.
Mark

Offline tortoise

« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2018, 12:09:28 PM »
The goal is to make a sort of drag race pass and top 500mph after  ½ mile ca.  So you can make run in many asphalt track…like Maxton/texas/ohio mile or some landing runway in airport.
These runways are not surfaces like an NHRA drag strip.  They are more irregular than those used for the currently popular so-called "no prep" drag racing. The popularity of no-prep races is largely the result of the increased incidence of crashes. You are proposing something crazy dangerous. Do you want to drive?

Offline Speeditaly

• New folks
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2018, 01:37:13 PM »
Hi tortoise...i am not able to drive this car: a professional driver should drive.
The irregular surface s condition of those track could represent a safety issue..maybe in a landing strip could be safer. I m shuttle that around the world is easy to find a good one mile strip...

Offline Speeditaly

• New folks
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2018, 02:07:27 PM »
Butt in the end...with a suction fan i don t believe tha my proposal is more dangerous than project like bloodhound ore even sir malcom campbell...even in Texas mile, mojave or similar tracks.

Offline RansomT

« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2018, 07:58:07 PM »
My opinion:  The human driver can't do it.  (If my simple math is correct) John Stapp accelerated to right above 500 mph at the 2640' mark on his way to 632 mph at 3100'  ... and the acceleration G-Forces were astronomically high (black out time), when the sled braked is almost killed him (at -40Gs)

Offline jl222

« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2018, 02:03:46 AM »
My opinion:  The human driver can't do it.  (If my simple math is correct) John Stapp accelerated to right above 500 mph at the 2640' mark on his way to 632 mph at 3100'  ... and the acceleration G-Forces were astronomically high (black out time), when the sled braked is almost killed him (at -40Gs)

NHRA.....Top fuel 332 + mph.  Elapsed time 3.68 sec. Both times in 1000 ft :-o

JL222

Offline Speeditaly

• New folks
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2018, 02:47:42 AM »
John Stapp -40g was from 600mph+ to 0. ...about acceleration remember that Kitty O'Neil made 3.22 quarter mile @422mph, with a rocket dragster. I belive that 500mph in 1/2mile is possible in term of G-force.

Offline bubruins

« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2018, 12:13:22 PM »
Has any wheel driven car been 300mph on pavement outside of a prepared drag strip? In my opinion, the powertrain, aero, packaging, and tires currently exist to make this possible with a dedicated effort; yet I have not seen any pavement oriented streamliners built to date.

IMO it would be possible to build such a streamliner for about the price of an NHRA promod. Why hasn't it been done? What are the limitations that I'm missing?

Offline tortoise

« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2018, 01:45:37 PM »
Has any wheel driven car been 300mph on pavement outside of a prepared drag strip? In my opinion, the powertrain, aero, packaging, and tires currently exist to make this possible with a dedicated effort; yet I have not seen any pavement oriented streamliners built to date.

IMO it would be possible to build such a streamliner for about the price of an NHRA promod. Why hasn't it been done? What are the limitations that I'm missing?

Not much bragging rights for going the same speed as a top fuel car, but using a longer distance.