Author Topic: Danny Thompson  (Read 18797 times)

Offline desotoman

Re: Danny Thompson
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2018, 04:13:21 PM »

My information had come from one of Georges crew!

Sid.  

Reminds me of the old saying "Believe nothing of what you hear and half of what you see, because what you see may not be what it appears to be. Sid, maybe the crew-guy was exaggerating or adding his own two cents, but we know that never happens.  :roll:

I will ask SSS to help with a fund for Danny as I was serious.  SSS, I have my pay Pal ready, lets help out. I think that car will run 450+      and I'd love to see it.

George,

No need to have SSS start anything. Just go to Danny's webpage and donate like many other people have. Here is a link for you. http://thompsonlsr.com/partners/

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/4fe4b72984aefa6aa5a93f72/t/5a42c73e9140b74c01342908/1514325860944/THOMPSONLSR+2018.pdf

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2018, 05:59:55 PM »
Woody,
Thanks for the post of the "new" Herbert liner, didn't realize they were that far along. I was always impressed that they used a set of large section rolled steel channels for the basis of the frame, stiff and a great base for the rest of the car. They really look like they are about 50% finished as the body and all of the "little" detail is what take time and dollar$!!

Regarding DT (Danny Thompson) I worked with Danny in 82-83 at Interscope Racing and I can tell you that he is a RACER!!! When he decided to revive his dad's last streamliner it wasn't a matter of just dropping a couple of late model hemis in and taking it to the salt! The list of changes that were made to the car would take a book! All of these required engineering and fabrication and money. If you have seen Danny's pits at the salt they certainly don't appear to be "low dollar" but every thing that is there is because it was needed to make the effort successful and Danny doesn't do things half a$$ed. Danny certainly has an advantage having a famous father but he also has a huge number for great friends and people that want to see him succeed. (I put myself in that group) Danny knows his responsibilities to the team to keep it together and successful and works at it continuously to make it work. I am sure that we all identify ourselves with Danny and his effort and are all looking forward to that first 450 mph ticket!

I also have to comment about Sid's (kiwi belly tank) effort and also eddieschopshop's effort. Sid is a real "one man band" when it comes to building what I think will be a super competitive AA streamliner. I have not seen his car but did talk to him in depth about it last year at the salt and I am really looking forward to seeing this effort. Sid has (as is obvious from his posts) experience in building race cars and especially salt cars and I know that all of that experience will show on his new car. Sid, are we going to see it this summer????

Regarding the eddieschopshop car, what can you say other than beautiful!! What a surprise when it showed up at Elmo last summer. It was great to check it out at Bonneville and the guys that built it are typical salt racers, great to talk to and will answer about any question you ask. Anyone that shows up at the salt with a polished aluminum body that is damn near perfect must be a real "panel beater". I am sure that they are going to be a force on the salt but they are very similar to Sid, they had an idea and the ability to make it happen and probably on their own buck. Beautiful car.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Eddieschopshop

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2018, 09:34:17 PM »
thanks for the nice words Rex. 

I am a one man shop.  I have had employees in the past but it has been just me for quite a few years.  My crew helps with some cleaning and maintenance between events and obviously couldn't do it without them at the races.  I built the car in my shop after hours by myself.  18 months start to finish and I am very proud of it.  The body is not perfect there are definitely nicer alluminum bodied cars like the marianni and Moore cars but I think I did good.  The car is completely on my own dime.  I thought I had a sponsor for a trip to the wind tunnel this winter but it looks like that fell through,  so nope no sponsors for me.  I do everything myself except for my long block.  I have someone put that together for me.  But I do all my own fab/tuning/design you name it. 

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2018, 01:34:10 AM »
That is a nice post, Rex.  Everyone here has something positive to contribute the this sport.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2018, 08:44:10 AM »
In racing communities of this nature, my experience is that there is almost always overwhelming support, not only for friends and acquaintances competing in "other" classes, but for those entrants competing directly with you in "your" class.     It is a sense of "shared experience" that is rare in other aspects of life.

But, like everything else in the "human experience", not all "humans" share identical values.    The eastern idea of "yin & yang" somewhat explains it.    The bottom line is that it takes a certain amount of "adult behavior and self-control" to wish a competitor the best, under all circumstances.

Now I'm not a psychiatrist, I don't want to be one, and I've only seen them played on TV, but, to paraphrase Mr. Dylan, "You don't need to be a psychiatrist to tell which way the wind is blowing."    What I mean by this is that I always evaluate contrarian statements using my own set of life learned values.    I tend to be in agreement with statements based on facts rather than put any credence into statements driven by unproven speculation, raging emotion, or, perhaps, those based on human instincts such as envy or greed.

We as a species are an imperfect lot, no doubt we always will be.    But we can all strive to personify what is the best about our species and our society.    Every individual's behavior is their own personal choice, actively decided, not forced, under these circumstances.    You have the freedom to choose yin, or to choose yang . . . . . . . .          I strive to choose . . . .  wisely . . . . .

Mr. Thompson, I have never had the pleasure of your acquaintance, but I recognize how difficult it is to achieve what you are attempting.    May all the factors and stars be in alignment for your goals, the wind be at your back, and the best of luck to you.     I  wish you success, and, perhaps, one day we will meet at the salt.

:cheers:
Mark
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline racergeo

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2018, 04:03:09 PM »
    Yes Danny inherited a Name a legacy and a car. It is remarkable that at such an advanced age he has chosen to follow his dream. Even more remarkable is his finding help and support. Any comparison to he and George Poteet is a farce. Danny's finances are about as different from George's as their cars are different. Further, I'd say that Running 435 on the track that was there on about his 5th run was pretty gutsy. My take on George's thrash (changing engines and such) to get the H R mag top speed trophy is just the result of being addicted to being the top dog...nothing more then what you would expect from a fierce competitor.

Offline Eddieschopshop

« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2018, 10:07:55 AM »
You can't compare Danny and George anymore than you can compare Danny with a small average Joe race team.  George wants that trophy there is no secret,  he is going to do everything he can to get it. He is willing to spend his own money to do it. That's passion or pride or whatever you want to call it.  Its the one thing nearly every driver out there has in common.  It takes a certain type of person to want to do this in the first place.  Some try just to get out of the car and say "nope not for me".   I sure hope to see someone beat George out for the trophy while he is still running though.  Not because  I wish Ill towards the Speed Demon but just to keep it interesting.  Its wouldn't be near as impressive for someone to get top speed just cuzz Speed demon didn't show up.  Unless they can beat their top speed then their is no doubt.

George is great for the sport.  He spends his money and supports many business's.  My experience with George has been very positive.  I get the impression his overall reputation is that of a class act. 

Danny has been getting a lot of publicity which is always good for the sport, he also seems to have a very positive reputation.  Hopefully he is pushing the salt issues every chance he gets with all that face time.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2018, 10:41:55 AM »
(Comments never posted/deleted before posting) :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2018, 12:37:56 PM »
!  been there done that  :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline racergeo

« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2018, 01:23:04 PM »
      SSS was just sayin', if Danny had my money, he'd throw his away. :lol:

Offline John Burk

« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2018, 02:51:41 PM »
By his data logger Danny's second run was quite a bit faster than his 435 when the rod let go . But for luck he would have had the Hot Rod trophy .

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2018, 09:12:38 PM »
After watching “Strange Inheritance” featuring Danny Thompson and his work on getting Mickey’s streamliner out on the salt flats, I was reminded of my time with Mickey in 1968 at Bonneville.

Although I had several years’ experience in drag racing back then, I had none in land speed record setting at Bonneville. So, at the advice of USAC headquarters, in the summer of 1968 I traveled to meet USA Steward Joe Petrali at his office in LaVerne, California. My objective was to learn whatever I could about the various requirements for setting international and world records under FIA sanction.
We discussed The Blue Flame LSR project and how we wanted to attempt a world land speed record in September, 1969. Joe gave me lists of names to contact at the State of Utah Bureau of Land Management in Salt Lake City, the Western Motel in Wendover, and said he would handle the paperwork with USAC, ACCUS-FIA and the FIA in Paris, France.
As I continued to ask him questions about running on the salt flats and the course layout, his eyebrows suddenly raised and he had a smile on his face. “Let me get this straight now”, he said, “You and your crew have never even been to the Bonneville Salt Flats, right?” I nodded affirmatively.
“And you intend to go out there next year and break Craig Breedlove’s World Land Speed Record, right?” Again I nodded.
“You do know his record is 600 mph!” “Yes”, I replied.
“You do know that you have to go at least 607 mph to set a new record?” he continued. “That’s what it says in the FIA rulebook, exceed the record by 1%.” I again responded by nodding my head.
“Well, then, we’ll have to help with your education”, Joe said, chuckling.

He suggested that I witness land speed racing first hand later that summer. Mickey Thompson planned to publicize the new 1969 Ford Mustang Mach 1by setting numerous FIA international speed and endurance records at Bonneville on the International Course. Joe and his USAC crew would be out there timing and certifying the records, so he invited me to witness the event.

Mickey had set up an encampment with all of his Mustangs and service equipment near the mile six marker and off to the side of the course. He also had a double-wide trailer (a ranch house, really) parked opposite the USAC timing trailer. The Autolite Special streamliner was also parked near the trailer.

Inside the timing trailer, Joe and his crew fired up their generator and warmed up the timing lights, electronic timers, etc. They were to be out there for two weeks as Mickey and Hawaiian racer Danny Ongais set over 100 records for speed and distance on the international straight line course and the 10-mile circle course for class B (305 to 488 cu in) and class C (183 to 305 cu in) sedans.

As the Mickey Thompson team prepared the various Mustangs for their record runs there was plenty of down time for Mickey and the USAC crew. Joe introduced me to Mickey later in the day. “Mick, here’s a young man who will be coming out here next year to break Craig’s record.” Mickey looked me over carefully, and then exclaimed: “You’d better have a ton of money if you want to do that.” “We do,” I boasted. Then Mickey looked over toward one of the Mustangs and said “Let’s go for a little ride.”
We hopped into the blue 1969 Mustang which had been prepared for the flying start mile and kilometer speed runs. Mickey strapped himself in and put on his helmet while I crouched on the floor hanging on to the roll cage tubing. “What am I doing here?” I thought. Mickey then took me on a high-speed trip up and down the course at 150 mph, showing me how to spot soft salt and other speed killers.
“Thanks, Joe,” I shouted afterwards while climbing out through the window, “I think!”
I spent a few days watching Mickey and Danny setting lots of records with the Mustangs. The Autolite Special streamliner was just sitting there until I left. I always wanted to see that beautiful car run, and now Danny has made that happen. Keep going, Danny!
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline Steve Cole

« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2018, 03:31:12 PM »
I can assure everyone George is a Class act all the way, but he is a racer and will do whatever he can to go home with the Hotrod trophy. It would not be in him to put the car away and pull it back out because someone said something. If there is any chance of making a fast run, the car will be running down the salt. If he has to fly parts in just to get another run on the car he will do it. At the same time, if he can help a fellow racer he will do that too! When we were at a Cook event we had just made a record pass but had some minor body damage after the pass. George walk over and offered anything he had so we could get back out in time, for the second run. After getting repairs finish (with his crews help) we had but a small time window to make the pass. Driver gets pushed off, but gets onto the throttle to much and spins the liner off the track. No damage and its still running but were 100's of yards off the track and cannot get the push truck to the car. George sends his entire crew to help us push the liner back towards the track far enough so the push truck can get it. Got it back to the line in time and off the car goes again. Yep, we set the FIA record, but it would not have happened without Georges and Ron's help. So I would have to say that any thought of the car being pulled back out of the trailer because of something that anyone may have said just isn't what happened. My guess would be they found what was needed and made the necessary changes in time for George to do what he truly loves to do.......... go 400 + MPH down the Bonneville Salt Flats.

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2018, 06:55:42 PM »
Wobbly Walrus - re: streamliner build locations - you left out fruit stands, like the one where two brothers put together a four engined one that was pretty successful back in the day.
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2018, 08:15:16 PM »
My mom used to say;
"If wishes were fishes we would all have some to fry"!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!