Author Topic: Motorcycle tires  (Read 2548 times)

Offline Sequim Jim

Motorcycle tires
« on: March 25, 2018, 10:10:37 AM »
Last year I ran Bridgestone BT003 tires and they passed tech inspection, but they are hard to find. Are there any other tires that will pass tech for 260 mph?
Best regards
Jim

Offline Leenavy

• New folks
Re: Motorcycle tires
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2021, 08:19:09 PM »
I know it's been a few years since you asked the question, and maybe you already found out the answer. But just in case...any "Race Only" tire will work for speed of 200+.

Offline Takatsukasa_Fumio

• New folks
  • 50cc streamliner design under consideration
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2021, 10:59:56 PM »
I'm going to ask a question about the tyres on the bike I'm going to try for the Land Speed Record.
Rather than start a new topic, I thought it would be better to post my question in this existing topic, which has been viewed by nearly 2000 people in total.

When riding on the salt flats with a tyre designed for track use on a motorbike, my guess is that you are running near or slightly above the maximum pressure recommended by the manufacturer.
When I see spectators cycling on the salt flats, the smaller diameter and wider the tyre, the harder they pedal.

Doesn't the rolling resistance of a tyre on the salt flats increase or decrease depending on the width and length of the contact surface and their ratio? That's what I'm guessing.
So you might choose the thinnest and largest diameter tyre you can find, and set the maximum pressure you can tolerate or have experience of.
I think there is a lot of error and lack of thought in this assumption.
If I may, I am posting this question here to ask for some advice from senior salt flat users.
Former aviation technician, former automotive engine technician (on medical leave).

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2021, 11:22:35 PM »
Our fronts were always the smallest for the rim size I could get.  The rear was a combo of what made gearing sense and availability.  We ran both at 50 to 60 PSI. They were 17 inch rims... GSXR 1000
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline mtiberio

• ElMo MPG1K 141, LTA MPF1K 137, ECTA MPG1K 118
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2021, 04:32:23 AM »
If you are not traction limited (my 70 HP motoguzzi only goes about 140 naked and never spins tires), run as narrow and hard as you dare. (yes I run about 5 or 10 above sidewall max).

If I had a big jap 4 which was spinning, I'd try wider rearswith lower pressures.

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2021, 05:59:27 AM »
I know it's been a few years since you asked the question, and maybe you already found out the answer. But just in case...any "Race Only" tire will work for speed of 200+.

Be aware that "Race Only" tires also have to meet the required speed rating,,

The Bridgestone R-11 is a race only designated tire, however its speed rating is listed as "V" = 149 mph,,
The Bridgestone RS-11 race and street tire (heavier construction) has a listed speed rating of "(W)" = 168+ mph
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2021, 08:05:29 AM »
If you're building a 50cc streamliner to run on gas, you only need tires rated over 48 mph (SCTA), but if you're planning to run in 50cc fuel streamliner, you'll need tires rated at over 132 mph. So for gas class, bicycle tires should be OK.  However, for safety reasons, choose tires rated at the speeds you expect.

Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2021, 12:56:11 AM »
>Stainless
Thank you very much, you have given us a real example of running with higher than recommended pressure, which has reduced one of the doubts in the design process.

>metiberio
The 50cc streamliner I'm designing will only produce 30hp even with ideal tuning, including the turbo system, so I'm not worried about traction.
I guessed that a narrower, harder tyre would be better than what I had available.
I'm not sure if I'm missing anything, but I'm sure I'll be able to get away with it in the future.

>stay'tee
We will pay attention to the speed rating. Sorry for the concern.

>Koncretekid
I didn't know that gas class could be used with bicycle tires. I'm designing a fuel streemliner that aims to beat Buddfab's record, so I'll choose a Tire with a speed rating of 132mph or higher.

Thank you to everyone who responded
As I have only ever observed salt flat racing, I would like to thank you all for your help and advice.
I will try to work towards the day when I join the running group.
Former aviation technician, former automotive engine technician (on medical leave).

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2021, 08:52:25 AM »
Actually, the rulebook says for up to 50 mph, "any production tire designed for motorcycle use is permitted," so not bicycle tires.  It also says "shall use tires with an appropriate speed rating", so obviously with what you're building, choose appropriately.
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

• New folks
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2021, 04:19:28 PM »
>Koncretekid 
Thank you very much.

We would like to carry out a strict verification of the speed rating of the tyres we use.