Author Topic: New rules I noticed  (Read 7557 times)

Offline nrhs sales

New rules I noticed
« on: March 19, 2018, 02:32:43 PM »
I just read the new rule book and 4 big rule changes i noticed:

1.  all primaries must now be fully enclosed. (This one seems like it needs to be clarified as dry clutch and belt primaries need to be partially open or the clutch will burn up.  I have written tech for clarification)

2.  External air filters must now be safety wired

3.  Lean Angle-  All two-wheeled vehicles, when unloaded, shall be capable of being inclined to an angle of 20 degrees from the vertical without any part, other than the tires, being in contact with the ground.

4.  Ground Clearance-All parts of the motorcycle, other than the tires, shall maintain a 1-inch minimum clearance from the ground. Measurements taken with
rider seated in racing position and motorcycle not on stands.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 02:37:05 PM by nrhs sales »

Offline nrhs sales

Re: New rules I noticed
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 01:19:03 PM »
If you are planning on running BMST and have an open primary you better send pics to tech to make sure it will be allowed.    Would hate for folks to be DQd before they ever got to race and had spent thousands of dollars to get to the event.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 12:52:58 AM »
This might be a dumb question, but why would anyone want to use an uncovered primary drive?

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 03:13:43 PM »
Belt driven primaries with a dry clutch are always "open"  This is real similar to what we are running:

« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 03:17:33 PM by nrhs sales »

Offline maj

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 04:18:57 PM »
That looks covered to me

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 04:36:54 PM »
While I would agree with you the new rule says it must be "completely enclosed". This is where the issue is and what I am trying to get clarified as you can see there are many holes in the outer plate that technically would not comply with the word "completely". 

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 10:52:05 PM »
Yes you definitely need to get that rule clarified. The photo shows a fully enclosed VENTILATED cover to me, but to a tech it may not be.

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline maj

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 03:03:05 AM »
Yep we all can have a different interpretation of the written word and the only one that counts is the guy doing tech

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2018, 02:28:59 PM »
NRHS has attended every BUBS/ BMST since the inception and we have been a sponsor now for about the last 10 years.   I have been one of their biggest cheerleaders even after several very bad years.   I hope last year was not our last.

Offline comet

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2018, 04:14:37 AM »
Hi NRHS.
I am not sure you will get an answer to your question on this forum. From what I have seen BMST like tech questions to be sent to Tech@bonnevillespeedtrials.com
I am sure they will answer your question if they get it via the email address.

Hope to see you there in August. Blimey. That isn't far away now is it.

John

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2018, 11:08:55 AM »
Get what question answered?  i have not asked a question in this thread. :? :?

I am working with Drew directly to hopefully get the issue resolved

Offline comet

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2018, 11:34:20 AM »
My mistake. I had not read all the comments above correctly. Apologies.

John

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2018, 12:03:29 AM »
Going to have some interesting measuring devices at tech----

My biggest gripe with tech is they seemed to have forgotten it is a safety inspection and has turned into a class inspection-- which is not relevant UNLESS you set a record. Last several years they checked the wheelbase possible on my bike and forgotten the kill switch-----
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2018, 01:18:53 AM »
This was in answer to my post--
Tech has turned into a class check because so many racers thought they were racing in one class and wasted time racing in a class to be later disqualified.
 and my reply
The tech inspection used to be just that, and each racer should be responsible for reading the rulebook and making sure their bike is compliant. And UNLESS a record is set it is a waste of time to be inspecting bikes for class before that happens and penalizes all of the rest of us.The amount of time wasted in measuring my wheelbase the last 2 years is ridiculous.
Think about how many bikes are tech inspected and then how many qualify for a record-- a lot less to inspect for class.
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2018, 01:55:52 AM »
The FIM tech inspector has a list of items to check and approve during tech.  Some of those are for safety and the others are for class compliance.  The FIM tech inspector cannot avoid making sure the bikes are legit for their classes as per external measurements.  The engine bore and stroke are measured after the record runs.