Author Topic: Valerie Thompson at Lake Gairdner  (Read 24892 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Valerie Thompson at Lake Gairdner
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2018, 03:42:22 PM »
It was stated she was going 343 MPH (Data Logger?) and that's something over 500 ft/sec. It looked like about 2 to 3 seconds when the chute started to deploy A lot happens at that speed and I doubt if she could have reacted any faster. The design worked well as it shows the liner protected the rider.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2018, 03:47:01 PM »
Stainless,
   The removable "lizard" tail on my liner is designed to break away in a big crash deploying all the chutes. The releases are bear claw latches that are cable operated. At the cable junction between the wheels I have a solenoid that can trigger all six at once by a tilt switch or driver switch.
  Sid.  

Offline ack

« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2018, 06:03:35 PM »
In every crash the person involved is lucky to walk away!

Maybe I am not seeing it right... when the liner comes from behind the van it looks to be on its wheels... I can't tell for sure but it almost looks like a waggle before it goes behind the van.  Things happen very quickly from there.... is that how everyone is seeing this?

Mike, I agree with Tom, auto chute deploy is critical to bike liners...

I am thinking about a way to trigger it on the new lakester... not at roll over but at departure from running straight... but that is off topic and for another thread

Stainless contact Rodger Lessman he is adapting this sensor to his car for automatic chute deployment.

https://www.2gig-eng.com/mems-inclinometer/

Offline jknowles

• New folks
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2018, 01:13:34 PM »
In every crash the person involved is lucky to walk away!

Maybe I am not seeing it right... when the liner comes from behind the van it looks to be on its wheels... I can't tell for sure but it almost looks like a waggle before it goes behind the van.  Things happen very quickly from there.... is that how everyone is seeing this?

Mike, I agree with Tom, auto chute deploy is critical to bike liners...

I am thinking about a way to trigger it on the new lakester... not at roll over but at departure from running straight... but that is off topic and for another thread

Stainless contact Rodger Lessman he is adapting this sensor to his car for automatic chute deployment.

https://www.2gig-eng.com/mems-inclinometer/

Thank you for posting my companies web address on this forum.  My name is Jody Knowles and if I can be of any help to provide a tilt sensor to improve your safety I would be happy to speak with you.  https://www.2gig-eng.com/contact/     

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2018, 04:34:21 PM »
"Thank you for posting my companies web address on this forum.  My name is Jody Knowles and if I can be of any help to provide a tilt sensor to improve your safety I would be happy to speak with you.  https://www.2gig-eng.com/contact/"

Jody, I spoke with Jesse yesterday and discussed features I was looking for in a sensor to deploy my parachute. You have most everything I am looking for but Jesse said you were working on adding the Z-axis (yaw). Setting the trigger for a user defined angle, both right and left, is one of the more important features for me. Any idea when Z-axis will be available?

John

Offline jknowles

• New folks
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2018, 10:08:32 AM »
"Thank you for posting my companies web address on this forum.  My name is Jody Knowles and if I can be of any help to provide a tilt sensor to improve your safety I would be happy to speak with you.  https://www.2gig-eng.com/contact/"

Jody, I spoke with Jesse yesterday and discussed features I was looking for in a sensor to deploy my parachute. You have most everything I am looking for but Jesse said you were working on adding the Z-axis (yaw). Setting the trigger for a user defined angle, both right and left, is one of the more important features for me. Any idea when Z-axis will be available?

John

Hello John, I have a solution for your Z-axis needs that I would like to speak to you about.  Please feel free to call when its convenient for you.
Jody

Offline kiwi belly tank

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2018, 04:02:42 PM »
Sid, thank you for sharing these great photos. Most people other then LSR racers don't realize what a undertaking it is to run on the flats or Bonneville.
When I went to Bonneville in 1953 I knew nothing about this sport except I got salt fever and go back for a yearly fix.  As you know I was the timer for 21 years and the last few years or so have been a crew member on the two Vesco streamliners and have been doing the announcing for USFRA for the last 3 years. This is a life style for us and meeting so many great people over the years is beyond awesome. Hoping for some good salt this year. The Turbinator wants to go 500 mph.

Thanks again Sid.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2018, 05:48:39 PM »
Nice slide show!  Her parachute looks like a ring-slot design. I wonder how large it is?

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ