Author Topic: Valerie Thompson at Lake Gairdner  (Read 24979 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Valerie Thompson at Lake Gairdner
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2018, 01:10:22 PM »
Valerie, here's to a fellow "Zoanie"!   :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Rob

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2018, 12:15:11 AM »
For those on Facebook, here are some photos of the 'liner per Jean Turner, looks like Valerie's going to sport a bruised shin and not a lot more. Can't imagine sliding so far after a short flight and the damage doesn't appear to be too bad happily. I ditched Photobucket when they wanted coin or I'd share them here. Someone else likely will do.

Glad you are ok Valerie.

https://www.facebook.com/jean.turner.98/posts/10215930508797007

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2018, 12:59:46 AM »
Huh!
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline comet

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2018, 04:46:34 AM »
Great news to hear that Valerie is unhurt. The liner doesn't look to bad from the pics I saw on FB, so hopefully it is not bent and very repairable.
Well done Valerie. We are all wishing you the best of luck.

Offline Rob

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2018, 06:16:36 AM »
From the FIM Facebook page.

"FIM - Fédération Internationale de Motocyclisme

Valerie Thompson Racing and Team 7 Racing suffered a crash at speedon Monday 19 March, at Lake Gairdner during day three of the World Speed Trials Australia. Fortunately Thompson walked away from the stunning wreck with only minor injuries.

Conditions were ideal in the morning, as anticipated, and Team 7 Racing set out to make their attempt at the all-time FIM World Record, aiming for speeds near 400 mph. Thompson had passed the four-mile marker and reported being at 299 mph when the trouble started. Chase vehicles saw the tail end of the streamliner come up in the air, but the chutes were deployed which helped stabilize the resulting crash. The wreckage was spread out along nearly a mile of the course.

The team is currently assessing the damage and reviewing the incident. Owner Denis Manning and the rest of Team 7 Racing are relieved Thompson was able to walk away from the crash, and were glad to report that the safety equipment all performed as intended.

The streamliner left an impressive trench along the edge of the course, but there was no major damage to the track, which remains in near-perfect condition. Cleanup has taken place and racing is back underway for the rest of the contenders at the final day of the World Speed Trials Australia."

Offline ack

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2018, 12:28:07 PM »
Valerie crash.

I feel really bad for Denis I know the feeling.

https://youtu.be/Yl8NDTyeHqg

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2018, 02:27:02 PM »
Thanks for the video Mike.

Denis built an awesome bike with the emphasis in the right places.  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2018, 05:16:30 PM »
From the FIM Facebook page.

"FIM - Fédération Internationale de Motocyclisme

Valerie Thompson Racing and Team 7 Racing suffered a crash at speedon Monday 19 March, at Lake Gairdner during day three of the World Speed Trials Australia. Fortunately Thompson walked away from the stunning wreck with only minor injuries.

Conditions were ideal in the morning, as anticipated, and Team 7 Racing set out to make their attempt at the all-time FIM World Record, aiming for speeds near 400 mph. Thompson had passed the four-mile marker and reported being at 299 mph when the trouble started. Chase vehicles saw the tail end of the streamliner come up in the air, but the chutes were deployed which helped stabilize the resulting crash. The wreckage was spread out along nearly a mile of the course.

The team is currently assessing the damage and reviewing the incident. Owner Denis Manning and the rest of Team 7 Racing are relieved Thompson was able to walk away from the crash, and were glad to report that the safety equipment all performed as intended.

The streamliner left an impressive trench along the edge of the course, but there was no major damage to the track, which remains in near-perfect condition. Cleanup has taken place and racing is back underway for the rest of the contenders at the final day of the World Speed Trials Australia."
  299mph is a far cry from 343mph either way.  Went through the four mile at 299 and then the trouble started.  Glad she and everyone is OK.  Sorry Denis and hopefully the damage is not too bad.

Online stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2018, 06:30:13 PM »
i was spotting a the six mile and heard the "Thud", a very distinctive 'Thud"  :-(

« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 08:19:52 PM by stay`tee »
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2018, 06:49:20 PM »
Don't most bike liners have a "tilt switch" that launches when they go over?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2018, 10:19:42 PM »
Don't most bike liners have a "tilt switch" that launches when they go over?
Yes they do... and it looked like that one worked...
I was at the 6 (middle of timed mile) for the run too, heard what I thought was a pop, then the thud, the bike had been called passed the 4 when it happened... the video looks like it flopped on its side.  I thought it might have locked the rear wheel when I heard the first pop, the motor sounded great till it didn't
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline ack

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2018, 11:08:09 PM »
Looking at the slo mo video the chutes did not automatically deploy. In the first part of the crash the bike appears to yaw badly and the tail section rises rapidly then slams down on its side. The chutes should have been deployed at this point. The cycle repeats and the second time the tail slaps down and one chute deploys. I am guessing the second event caused the carbon fiber section that houses them to break apart. Jean Turners still photos show the two chute launch pistons hanging out of the missing tail section. She is very lucky to be able to walk away. 

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2018, 04:38:59 AM »
I looked at the asme video and it looked to me that it all worked excatly as is was meant to
the carbon fibre tail section was designed to come off before the chute deployed
And that seh walked away had nothing to do with luck, it was more to do with it being a very well designed streamliner
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline ack

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2018, 10:47:22 AM »
I looked at the asme video and it looked to me that it all worked excatly as is was meant to
the carbon fibre tail section was designed to come off before the chute deployed
And that seh walked away had nothing to do with luck, it was more to do with it being a very well designed streamliner
G

The rules require the chutes deploy automatically when the bike tilts 45 degrees or more. I guess I missed the section where it says; or when the bike is breaking apart during the crash.

I generally don’t pass along private correspondence but this is probably the most critical safety issue when designing a motorcycle streamliner and anyone building or contemplating building a streamliner should take heed.

From Tom Burkland:

Mike,
Absolutely spot on assessment. BUB7 spent a long period of time sliding on the right side in a full 90 degree roll, and eventually rolls full inverted to loose the canopy in a massive spray of excavated salt.
Both parachutes (Denis subscribes to the small high speed canopy that stabilized but doesn’t provide much braking) were deployed together by the impact that broke the tail area.
Canopy retention is a significant safety feature for rider protection and aerodynamic stability. This one has always been too light for my taste, as proven by the early loss in this accident.
Thanks,
Tom Burkland 

From Rocky Robinson:

Hi Mike,

I watched the slow-mo a few more times and you are right, the chutes should have deployed as the bike went on its side initially, but did not until after the second impact. When I drove that machine we had several chute failures. They use shear pins to hold the tail pieces in place and the air rams on several occasions didn’t have enough hit to break them. I was surprised the carbon shell held up as well as it did. I agree she was damn lucky to walk away without injury.

Rocky Robinson
www.rocky-robinson.com

The failure of the chutes to deploy can have dire consequences. If you don’t believe me ask Cliff Gullett, Leo Hess or Sam Wheeler.

She is very very lucky to walk away.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2018, 12:37:19 PM »
In every crash the person involved is lucky to walk away!

Maybe I am not seeing it right... when the liner comes from behind the van it looks to be on its wheels... I can't tell for sure but it almost looks like a waggle before it goes behind the van.  Things happen very quickly from there.... is that how everyone is seeing this?

Mike, I agree with Tom, auto chute deploy is critical to bike liners...

I am thinking about a way to trigger it on the new lakester... not at roll over but at departure from running straight... but that is off topic and for another thread
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O