Author Topic: How fast will the "Target 550" car go???  (Read 24118 times)

Offline **RP**

Re: How fast will the "Target 550" car go???
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2018, 10:12:03 AM »
Bub 7 crashes at 300 Valerie OK

Video out now makes it look pretty bad......is the chassis a museum piece or can it be repaired?
Ralph Pitlock
www.paintworkz.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2018, 01:16:07 PM »
nobody ever responded to my question about married or divorced drivetrain----

I went to the GG awards shindig yesterday and got my question answered  my suggestion would be to UNCOUPLE the  front and rear drive trains let them run separately   do not know if they are running a spool or not but if so go to a Torsen unit.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Randall Parker

• Yup, I'm a Baby Boomer!
  • My Boss 429 KK2159. bought it from the Breedlove's
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2018, 08:36:55 PM »
Is there a Torsen style diff that is strong enough? I have a Quaiffe That has been mostly reliable but I only put 300hp through it in a sports car. The thing that concerns me with a Torsen style differential is the handling change that will occur which is dramatic.  I think you will induce a spin much easier.  Am I wrong?
The Faster you go the longer you live...it's just physics.

Offline Crackerman

« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2018, 11:18:41 PM »
What about a slipper clutch type coupler? If the engines are close to hp and torque, something with as small as 200 ft/lbs ought to provide plenty of drive, but slip enough on shock loads? I don't know if it can recover the torque after slipping, but a spike ought to be eliminate.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2018, 01:17:28 AM »
I have run over 900 through a stock 7.5 unit out of a Camaro with 28 splines--I felt like it helped my old car go much straighter.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2018, 08:50:03 AM »
Sparky...I believe there is a "line shaft' that runs along side the engines and couples the whole affair together..I guess if they wanted to, They could run it with both engines and make it rear wheel drive only. Or front drive for that matter. JB
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2018, 02:33:28 PM »
Is there a Torsen style diff that is strong enough? I have a Quaiffe That has been mostly reliable but I only put 300hp through it in a sports car. The thing that concerns me with a Torsen style differential is the handling change that will occur which is dramatic.  I think you will induce a spin much easier.  Am I wrong?

I use a Hewland Mk9 open diff with OK results against 342 HP and 195 ft lbs of torque. I have a Torsen diff planned to replace the open unit. The idea is to balance torque application just like your Quaiffe. Not sure why you think the Torsen would induce a spin??

John

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2018, 02:54:59 PM »
JB  that is what I was told-- that is most likely would be a matter of just removing a belt coupler to set it up where they could run seperately

Offline desotoman

I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline racergeo

« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2018, 10:40:14 PM »
   Tom, I just watched about a thousand pictures of Marlo's car build.  Thanks to your post I now have a blister on my finger. That car is as complex as my wife. :-D

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2018, 01:15:08 AM »
Thanks Tom   That  let's us cut to the chase

Offline desotoman

« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2018, 03:03:50 PM »
   Tom, I just watched about a thousand pictures of Marlo's car build.  Thanks to your post I now have a blister on my finger. That car is as complex as my wife. :-D

George,

Sorry about your finger, but hope you enjoyed the pictures.

Thanks Tom   That  let's us cut to the chase

Sparky,

Your welcome. Yes sometimes pictures are worth a thousand words, and there are more I just did not have time to find them all. 

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.