Author Topic: Blown Fuel Rear Engined Roadster  (Read 20264 times)

Buamotorsport

Blown Fuel Rear Engined Roadster
« on: March 11, 2018, 04:48:02 PM »
Car in the workshop

Buamotorsport

Re: Blown Fuel Rear Engined Roadster
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 04:50:39 PM »
This is 7707 in its new home in LA. I will be writing up our story over the next few days documenting what I hope will be a fantastic year.

The story starts at Bonneville in 2017 with a chance meeting between myself and Carl Olson one of the owners of 7707. Carl told me that 7707 was up for sale and would I be interested. After various emails a deal was struck and I became the owner of 7707. Fast forward to February 2018 when I was in LA on business. Myself together with Bob Muravez and Ray Iddings made the trip north to its temporary home to pick up the car and bring it back to LA.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 05:00:57 PM by Buamotorsport »

Buamotorsport

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 05:56:00 PM »
The Team.

Of course this could not be done without the help of my team. The names may sound familiar as we have been involved with Drag Racing most of our lives. This race car is to stop us old boys getting up to mischief.
First up is Bob Muravez aka Floyd Lippencotte..driver of the “Freight Train”  twin engined chef top gas dragster.
Then we have Bill Schultz member of the “Over the hill gang” and owner of the Schultz and Glenn Nosalgia Top Fuel Car, and Sparky Perry, tuner and Top Alcohol Funny Car Owner and driver. Team “MOM” is Sharon Muravez who looks after all us. In addition Carl Olson is continuing to be part of the team going forward.

At this point I need to thank a few people beside my team. My sponsors so far this year currently are “Lucas Oil” and “Iskenderian Cams” and I need to thank Simpson Safety Equipment for supplying my new fire suit and helmet. Anyway..I will post a few more pictures in due course. Any questions please feel free to ask.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 05:57:33 PM by Buamotorsport »

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 08:47:30 PM »
Great to see you have the 7707 , so best of luck in the future and looking forward to seeing you at the SALT! With that list of guys for a crew you should not be short of horsepower!!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Buamotorsport

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 01:08:16 AM »
Hi Rex,

To be able to do this is just amazing and I am so excited not only for me but for the team. This is outside the box for them and a new discipline. So it’s a steep learning curve for all of us. We are hoping to be at El Mirage in May to test and get some seat time weather permitting. There is a lot to learn so Seat time and running is important.

Buamotorsport

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 01:45:12 AM »
Continuing the story.

7707 had been sitting around for a year or so before I spoke to Carl and quite simply as Mike Kuhl had been taken ill and the team decided to park the car. So, when we got the car back to LA and in its new home we had a real close look at the car. It was everything and more. The detail, the workmanship was fantastic. But we need to give it some “TLC”. The car has been stripped back to the chassis and working from the front to back every “rod end” has been cleaned and serviced in fact everything we can see has been cleaned and oiled (where need).

The motor...well we are putting together what we think should be a nice motor. Nothing to outrageous to start with but something that will allow us to put some passes in without too much trouble. Our aim is to continue where Kuhl and Olson left off. Nothing would make me prouder than to achieve what Mike and Carl set out to do originally.

Currently we have items out for servicing. The fuel system, the Mag, the Heads and the Blower are all being checked, serviced and freshend up. We need to update some of the safety equip so we have a new seat harness and blower restraint on order plus the fire bottles are being refilled and  Recertified. Basically anything that needs checking is either with someone or will be.

At the same time we are searching for or ordering up spares to build up our inventory. But, I want to thank the guys at HILBORN, NORM GRIMES, HAMPTON BLOWERS and DJ SAFETY for all their help and advice so we can start off this project without doing something silly.

I make no bones about it...as I have said before this year we want to learn about the car, I want to learn to drive it as it is quite different from my previous drive and achieve the goals we have set ourselves.

Buamotorsport

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 01:39:26 AM »
April update.

Well everything is coming together. All the items that where out for servicing are now back. Plus everything that needed to be updated or recertified has also been done. A Huge thank you goes out to the guys at Hilborn, Norm Grimes Racing, Simpson, Lucas Oil and To the “Camfather” Ed Iskenderian. Cannot thank them enough for all there input, advice and support.

Buamotorsport

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 05:54:34 PM »
May update

Lots been happening recently. The trans has been fully serviced, we have replaced the master cylinder and during the work we discovered the brake pads had seized into the brake callipers. It took a day just to free them off but glad to say they are now working. My new Simpson seat harness is all installed with my seat, fire bottles installed and then many general small jobs all completed. I was hoping we would be ready for El Mirage but sadly not. We are waiting on some parts for the motor which have been delayed.

We took delivery of the trailer which looks fantastic and we are waiting on the design for the vinyl wrap. So, all in all everything is good and progressing well. We will be testing soon and then get ready for Bonneville.

Buamotorsport

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 12:02:01 AM »
There are some picture updates on our Facebook page.  7707 salt shaker  - enjoy.

Offline revolutionary

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 10:01:54 AM »
Looks like you are almost ready for Speedweek!
Breaking Wind #9614
  ECTA Record AA/BGALT 214.8
  SCTA Bonneville PB AA/BGALT 237.4
Breaking Wind "Spirit of Effluvium" #451
  SCTA Bonneville Record SC/BF100 48.931

Buamotorsport

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2018, 10:24:58 AM »
Fingers crossed we will be ready. My team are just amazing and i cannot thank them enough for everything they do to make my dream come true.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 10:39:32 AM by Buamotorsport »

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2018, 12:15:52 PM »
That is a nice clean workshop!  :cheers:

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2018, 01:57:03 PM »
That stack of tires is making my trousers tighten...…………….
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Buamotorsport

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2018, 02:34:52 PM »
Lol...the answer is go on a diet lol !!!

Offline GH

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2018, 07:34:09 PM »
I haven't heard the name Lippencotte in many years.