Author Topic: The camera on the salt flats  (Read 87040 times)

Offline jacksoni

Re: The camera on the salt flats
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2019, 03:06:58 PM »
Nice photo this am with mountains and sky reflected in the lake...…... :-(
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline sabat

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2019, 12:23:56 PM »
I think we some dipstick marks on that piece of rebar :)

(I know, it's still May...)

Offline WZ JUNK

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2019, 04:57:18 PM »
I think we some dipstick marks on that piece of rebar :)

(I know, it's still May...)

I agree, It is difficult to gauge the depth of the water.  The wind direction has an effect on the standing water.  Since I check this camera almost daily, I have noted that sometimes the water evaporates quickly.

The last time that I could see the mountains to the northeast, they still had snow on them.  The snow should be gone by now.  It will be interesting to see the condition of this years salt compared to last year.  Last year was a dry winter on the salt and this year was wet and last year was very good salt conditions.   I believe it will dry out in time to be used for racing.
Crew chief #974 B/BGCC 1953 Studebaker Past Bonneville record holder.

Offline Sporty Dan

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2019, 12:48:57 PM »
Checking the camera today and still seeing water on the salt. Is there any way to know the depth? There also is a build up of salt on the bottom of the post, so does that mean the water is getting shallower?

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2019, 01:11:22 PM »
It's interesting that there has been relatively little rain at the airport but there have been thunderstorms in the area that have not put water on the airport and we all know, of course, that thunderstorms that hit downtown/airport do not automatically translate to water on the tract. Bit farther north is different story. The stake is, as I understand, marked in inches. There is a bit of build up at the base and shallow there but out and away who knows. Few weeks back before the camera stopped working for a while you could see bare salt over by the mountains. Not today. So the water has moved or increased. And still not hot (ok to 85 for couple hours- mostly 60-75 range).
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline WZ JUNK

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2019, 07:27:32 PM »
This morning the camera showed the flats covered in water.  Just now I checked and it is nearly all gone and almost complete covered in salt.  A beautiful site to see.  Shows you how fast things can change.  I would not be surprised to see water there again though.

Offline WZ JUNK

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2019, 08:25:07 AM »
I am just fascinated with this camera.   I may be the only one.  Yesterday it was nearly dry and today it is a lake again.  I have heard that the wind can move the water in and out depending on the direction and strength of the wind.  This might be what happened yesterday and last night.  It could be that we are seeing the effect of warmer temperatures and the snow melt from the higher altitudes is working its way to the salt.  I have noticed that the snow on the mountains, in the upper right of the photo, is now nearly gone.  I wonder what tomorrow will bring.

Offline gas pumper

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2019, 01:49:18 PM »
I am fascinated by the camera, too and check it almost daily. I think the couple of times we have seen it appear dry recently has been lighting conditions that let us see thru the standing water that had no ripples and it appeared dry. One day that I saw that condition some one had posted a photo from the end of the road which showed lots of watercoverage as far as you see from that point of view. On a good note, the snow on the furthest mountain has decreased considerably in the last two weeks.
Crew for 608 AA/GL.
Crew for The Flying Seven, 7207, XO/GCT, V4/FCT Loring.

Offline Sporty Dan

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2019, 01:41:16 PM »
I know it's still early but the salt looks to be drying out nicely. Now I just have to finish up the bike.

Offline ratpatrol66

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2020, 07:43:36 PM »
Every time I look at the camera and it's off line I can't help to think Intrepid is doing something they shouldn't be doing?

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2020, 07:55:28 PM »
It went off line on the weekend,, I believe its the University of Utahs responsibility, and I guess their contractor hasent got it sorted yet
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline comet

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2020, 08:36:20 AM »
I am just wondering about the comments of the flats being under water and then a few hours later dry again. could this be influence of the moon in any way. Tidal almost? If the sitting water ebbed with the moonphase it could run for miles in low tide and high tide phases.
Just thought I'd throw that out there. Today has been long and slow.
I'll get my coat...

Offline saltracer1

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2020, 05:32:59 PM »
I recall someone mentioning in Australia they run with the tides, that is run when it is low tide (maybe)

Offline Dodge Brother

• TS Coachworks
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2020, 10:51:52 PM »
Is the salt Cam ever going back on line? My withdrawal symptoms are almost unbearable!   :-(

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2020, 11:19:00 AM »
I watched it for about a week before I realized I was seeing the same thing !  lololol  I'm, awaiting the fix also !
The Earth, is an intergalactic insane asylum.!