Author Topic: 55 Chevy Wagon at Bonneville in '72  (Read 394 times)

Offline Stan Back

55 Chevy Wagon at Bonneville in '72
« on: March 12, 2024, 03:26:54 PM »
Phil Stevenson built this Wagon for speed!  His wife had rolled the speedometer into the 6-digit numbers so he decided to go racing with it.  In went a 390" Cadillac with automatic trans. and out to El Mirage went the wagon from Rialto, California -- he drove it out.  If I remember correctly, he dropped off the mufflers and ran in the 120s.

Then he decided to give Bonneville a try.  He was at a swap meet and eye-balled just what he wanted -- a 6-pot Cadillac manifold.  The guy thought it was for a Chrysler and wanted $60 for it, but Phil convinced him that he was the only one in California that might want it, so he finally gave him $25 for it. 

I threw in four 97s and a few months later we headed for Bonneville -- Phil driving the wagon.  He'd found a pair of 18-inch Halibrands and each had a tire, too!  One was an old Indy tire and the other was a Bonneville tire -- each with cords showing thru but stamped good for "175 MPH".  (Those days were hard to find 18s.)

If I remember right (?!), he ran in B/Gas Coupe (including Sedans and Wagons) and he knew he wanted the experience.  Well, he mounted the tires on the wagon and it did run in the 140s.  He earned the annual trophy for fastest car driven there.  (In the following years, some competitors drove in -- you know -- from Wendover or Bend in the Road and I guess that yearly trophy just went away.)

Years later I ended up with the Halibrands and put them on my 28 Mercury Torpedo Salon -- but that's another story.

(Now if Stainless will post a picture for me, you guys can take a look.)

« Last Edit: March 12, 2024, 06:55:46 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline noboD

Re: 55 Chevy Wagon at Bonneville in 2072
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2024, 04:47:18 PM »
Are you smoking that Cal. loco weed? 2072?

Offline Stan Back

Re: 55 Chevy Wagon at Bonneville in '72
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2024, 06:19:18 PM »
I knew it was something with a '72 in it  . . .

I shudda remembered better.  I hadda take the Greyhound outta the Stateline to SLC to San Bernardino early as I was informed that my son John was on his way to be born.  He showed up 10 weeks later.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2024, 06:25:29 PM by Stan Back »
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2024, 04:52:16 PM »
Stan you MUST have figured the pic thing out... Sorry I'm in AU and was away from the  computer.  The one you sent me fit
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline dw230

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2024, 08:19:43 PM »
I remember that car. At the time I was still awed by the entrants. We hung with the low budget guys, too humble to approach the fast ones.
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth