Author Topic: Why not use Computer Driven, Driver Less Absolute Land Speed Record Cars?  (Read 4106 times)

Offline J79

• J79 Exhaust from a F4 Phantom II
With all the computer technology today, (for example 2 rockets that can land themselves, Robotic Dogs that can open doors) why not use cars that do not contain a driver? That way, if the car crashes, their are no injuries/deaths and a computer can process more information and react faster than a driver. Why put a driver at risk of death or serious injury if they survive?

An example of computer technology with Space X Rockets landing themselves.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0-pfzKbh2k

Robotic Dogs that can open doors.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUyU3lKzoio

« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 02:52:32 PM by J79 »
"My, people come and go so quickly here." Dorothy, from the movie Wizard of Oz.

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure, and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, 1874-1922.

From the movie Dr. Strangelove, General Jack D. Ripper:

"Mandrake, in the name of Her Majesty and the Continental Congress come here and feed me this belt boy... Mandrake, come over here, the Red Coats are coming!"

"He said war was too important to be left to the generals. When he said that, 50 years ago, he might have been right. But today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious "automotive" bodily fluids."

Offline DallasV

Re: Why not use Computer Driven, Driver Less Land Speed Record Cars?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 02:54:55 PM »
Because saying you went 1000 MPH gets you the chicks. Saying your computer went 1000 MPH gets you a wedgie.
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline 55chevr

Re: Why not use Computer Driven, Driver Less Absolute Land Speed Record Cars?
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 04:21:23 PM »
Already been done.  The USAF rocker sled has gone 6416 mph on land ... Not much of a record without a pilot. 

"Unmanned rocket sleds continue to be used to test missile components without requiring costly live missile launches. A world speed record of Mach 8.5 (6,416 mph / 10,325 km/h) was achieved by a four-stage rocket sled at Holloman Air Force Base on April 30, 2003, the highest speed ever attained by a land vehicle"

Offline TD

Offline J79

• J79 Exhaust from a F4 Phantom II
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 05:36:10 PM »
The Rocket Sled is on a track and it's going to stay on that track unless it explodes, it doesn't need a driver and a human may not be able to live due to the G forces during 6,400mph acceleration and deceleration. A car requires input to stay straight and to prevent it from going down or up. 

Already been done.  The USAF rocker sled has gone 6416 mph on land ... Not much of a record without a pilot.  

"Unmanned rocket sleds continue to be used to test missile components without requiring costly live missile launches. A world speed record of Mach 8.5 (6,416 mph / 10,325 km/h) was achieved by a four-stage rocket sled at Holloman Air Force Base on April 30, 2003, the highest speed ever attained by a land vehicle"
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 06:09:33 PM by J79 »
"My, people come and go so quickly here." Dorothy, from the movie Wizard of Oz.

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure, and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, 1874-1922.

From the movie Dr. Strangelove, General Jack D. Ripper:

"Mandrake, in the name of Her Majesty and the Continental Congress come here and feed me this belt boy... Mandrake, come over here, the Red Coats are coming!"

"He said war was too important to be left to the generals. When he said that, 50 years ago, he might have been right. But today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious "automotive" bodily fluids."

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 09:33:28 PM »
You probably should have put your brain in gear & eased the clutch out before posting this, the person holds a given record not a vehicle. :dhorse:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 10:06:12 PM »
You probably should have put your brain in gear & eased the clutch out before posting this, the person holds a given record not a vehicle. :dhorse:

Sid... major assumption on your part.....  Franklin, you posted the rocket video twice now... think that's enough times...  
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 10:07:47 PM by Stainless1 »
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline BHR301

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 12:10:17 AM »
Will somebody please pull the plug on this clown......

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 12:30:36 AM »
Will somebody please pull the plug on this clown......

Yes!  It's way past time.   :-(

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 09:39:26 AM »
So far.... Franklin has done nothing to get banned.... if he posts countless off subject videos, long articles without referencing the author.... or goes back to ranting.... then.....

So group... stop reading his posts.... ignore  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 09:55:08 AM »
Yup - Mr. Stainless has spoken sooth.  I sit here waiting for some unpardonable foul, not intending to "ignore" anybody.  I can't as the head handlebar holder.  I gotta look at all of this stuff.

I won't say that I'm glad we've got J79 telling his woes, because I know that there well could be some folks that see his stuff and get fed up and leave the Forum.

Q E D   :dhorse:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline martine

• Vero Drive - Advanced Driving Coaching
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2018, 04:47:29 PM »
...why not use cars that do not contain a driver? ...
Errr because it's against the FIA LSR rules?

Or are you suggesting a change in said rules?

If so, that would be a shame in my view.  Part of the appeal to me of the LSR is the 'human endeavour'.  Would Apollo have been so inspiring unmanned?  I think not.
Martin - Bloodhound LSR ambassador

Offline aircap

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2018, 12:34:50 AM »
Put Franklin in the seat, and it will be still be driver less......
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince