Author Topic: Gyroscopic Precession Affect of Spinning Wheels on High Speed Cars Questions.  (Read 7430 times)

Offline J79

• J79 Exhaust from a F4 Phantom II
Gyroscopic Precession Affect of Spinning Wheels on High Speed Cars Questions.

In this video, at 22:16, the Physics Teacher spins a bicycle wheel, holds the axle in both hands and sits on a movable stool. When he leans the wheel to the left, the stool turns left, when he leans the wheel to the right, the stool turns right.

What kind of affect does this gyroscopic affect have on high speed cars, 3 wheel cars or 4 wheel cars? What does it want to make the car do that it would not do if it was on ice skating blades instead of wheels? Anyone want to share some simple knowledge of this, videos, examples, links etc?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPUuF_dECVI
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 04:57:28 PM by J79 »
"My, people come and go so quickly here." Dorothy, from the movie Wizard of Oz.

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure, and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, 1874-1922.

From the movie Dr. Strangelove, General Jack D. Ripper:

"Mandrake, in the name of Her Majesty and the Continental Congress come here and feed me this belt boy... Mandrake, come over here, the Red Coats are coming!"

"He said war was too important to be left to the generals. When he said that, 50 years ago, he might have been right. But today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious "automotive" bodily fluids."

Offline BHR301

Re: Gyroscopic Affect of Spinning Wheels on High Speed Cars Questions.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 09:42:45 PM »
Propster strikes again!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 10:56:05 AM »
Propster strikes again!

No, the Propster wouldn't be asking questions or attempting to stimulate discussion.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 10:58:55 AM »
Franklin.... 'nuff crap
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline JimL

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 12:25:37 PM »
Gyroscopic precession iis the curse of living on a planet with gravity.  All you can do is make anything that spins as light as possible and try not to disturb its direction of travel (as a group of components).

You will find the formulas used by professional marine pilots are very accurate.  Those guys are not simply "fellows that know the harbor or can read a chart".  They must pass stringent tests of their ability to calculate the up or down movement of the bow of a ship when they call for a change of shaft rpm or make changes to the course of the vessel.

In simpler terms, this is the force that rattles the flywheel off the crankshaft of your motorhome's Onan generator when your wife insists you run the roof-air on a bumpy freeway.

MotoCzysc tried to run counter-rotating crankshafts to "cancel" the effect in a race bike.  An old friend told me how much money was spent on that project, but it's not my place to comment.  They moved on to electric racebikes and had better success.

Offline J79

More videos demonstrating the same Gyroscopic Precession Affect. So what does this do to a car traveling at high speed? Does it want to make the wheels lift up and rotate like shown in the videos?

1. holding a 3 foot long axle with a 40 pound 12" steel wheel spinning at high speed and lifting the device over head
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeyDf4ooPdo

2. holding the same device and standing on a weight scale.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLMpdBjA2SU

3. Forces causing Gyroscopic Precession explained.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty9QSiVC2g0

4. http://www.gyroscopes.org/behaviour.asp
"If the gyroscope/engine is spinning at a fairly high speed in a clockwise direction, as seen from the back of the car and as shown in the diagram above. When the car is turned to the right (clockwise from above) forces A and B are applied to the structure of the car forcing the front end of the car down and the back end up. If the car is turned to the left then the front end of the car is forced up and the back end forced down. If the gyroscope is spinning in the opposite direction then the reverse will happen."
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 10:01:46 PM by J79 »

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure, and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, 1874-1922.

"Mandrake, in the name of Her Majesty and the Continental Congress come here and feed me this belt boy... Mandrake, come over here, the Red Coats are coming!"

"He said war was too important to be left to the generals. When he said that, 50 years ago, he might have been right. But today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious "automotive" bodily fluids."

Offline turborick

• Go as fast as we can with as little as we can
    • http://www.bonnevillestreamliner.com
I wonder what these guys are trying to do at 15000 rpm
Rick Yacoucci

The new Nebulous Theorem 3.5 #788
http://www.bonnevillestreamliner.com

Offline J79

Those wheels look 4 inches diameter.  What are they used on?

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8

Do you see the website url below his name?  Check it out.  :x
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline mtiberio

• ElMo MPG1K 141, LTA MPF1K 137, ECTA MPG1K 118
What kind of affect does this gyroscopic affect have on high speed cars, 3 wheel cars or 4 wheel cars?

Does nothing if you do not try and steer. 8^))

Offline turborick

• Go as fast as we can with as little as we can
    • http://www.bonnevillestreamliner.com

The wheels are 13 inches in diameter and are used on this streamliner
Rick Yacoucci

The new Nebulous Theorem 3.5 #788
http://www.bonnevillestreamliner.com

Offline J79

I saw the link after you mentioned it. Are those the front wheels on the Nebulus? If so, are they about 12 inches in diameter? 

Do you see the website url below his name?  Check it out.  :x

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Franklin.... try reading all the posts in a thread, not just yours, the answer was there for 10 hours....
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline RichFox

The trick is not the wheels. It's how they steer.

Offline Stan Back

SOMEBODY DO SOMETHING!!!
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records