Author Topic: High Speed Driver Kitty O'Neil. 512mph for 1 mile and 396mph 3.22 secs 1/4 mile.  (Read 16118 times)

Offline Malcolm UK

The average speed of Kitty's FIA SS 500m run is just 207 mph plus change. Numbers do not 'add up' in the article.

Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline interested bystander

Back to sanity, thanx Malcomb.
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline J79

• J79 Exhaust from a F4 Phantom II
Malcolm.
1. I could not find a contact email on the website.
2. 396mph to 512mph is only 116mph more or roughly 25% more speed, correct? 116mph is not that much in a speed increase, but 512mph is a lot of speed to obtain in 1/4 mile from a stand still.

I suspect the answer can only come from the writer of the article or the owner of the car or Kitty herself.

The surveyed quarter mile would have been in the middle of any space on the desert to gain FIA recognition for two way running.

Was the dragster a 500+ mph car - I very much doubt it because of the design and fuel containment. [396mph to 512mph does not seem plausible but I have not got the information to check the maths]. 
"My, people come and go so quickly here." Dorothy, from the movie Wizard of Oz.

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure, and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, 1874-1922.

From the movie Dr. Strangelove, General Jack D. Ripper:

"Mandrake, in the name of Her Majesty and the Continental Congress come here and feed me this belt boy... Mandrake, come over here, the Red Coats are coming!"

"He said war was too important to be left to the generals. When he said that, 50 years ago, he might have been right. But today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious "automotive" bodily fluids."

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Malcolm.
2. 396mph to 512mph is only 116mph more or roughly 25% more speed, correct? 116mph is not that much in a speed increase, but 512mph is a lot of speed to obtain in 1/4 mile from a stand still.

Franklin, when you do the math for 1/4 mile runs.... if it was a 2500 lb car, it required 12200 HP to do 396 in the 1/4

and only 26400 HP to make that extra 116 MPH.... so piece of cake....  :roll:  :dhorse:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline TrickyDicky

Malcolm.

I'll make it easy for you: http://www.dlra.org.au/contacts.htm.

I still think you should be at Lake Gairdner 12-16 March 2018. You will learn a lot.

:cheers: :dhorse: :cheers: :dhorse: :cheers: :dhorse: :cheers:

Offline J79

• J79 Exhaust from a F4 Phantom II
Thanks for the link TrickyDicky. I just sent him an email asking him to join us and answer the question: From a standing stop, did she go 512mph in a quarter mile type race in a rocket powered car in the Mojave Desert?

I cannot go to Lake Gairdner. I have to work and cannot take time off.

Malcolm.

I'll make it easy for you: http://www.dlra.org.au/contacts.htm.

I still think you should be at Lake Gairdner 12-16 March 2018. You will learn a lot.

:cheers: :dhorse: :cheers: :dhorse: :cheers: :dhorse: :cheers:
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 10:47:11 PM by J79 »
"My, people come and go so quickly here." Dorothy, from the movie Wizard of Oz.

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure, and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, 1874-1922.

From the movie Dr. Strangelove, General Jack D. Ripper:

"Mandrake, in the name of Her Majesty and the Continental Congress come here and feed me this belt boy... Mandrake, come over here, the Red Coats are coming!"

"He said war was too important to be left to the generals. When he said that, 50 years ago, he might have been right. But today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious "automotive" bodily fluids."

Offline aircap

J79's insistence on visiting history reminds me of a certain PITN with the initials FR who loved Volkswagen motors and propellers....

Suspicion confirmed. The Propster ignores replies as per usual, and stays firmly entrenched in fantasy. Get lost, man.
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline lvsalt

• http://www.dcwaterjet.com
 :-D
Gary Cole     DCWATERJET Z

Offline aircap

^^^ What a scary looking piece of crap. ^^^

Offline kiwi belly tank

Looks like a blown gas lakester to me! :-D
  Sid.

Offline turborick

• Go as fast as we can with as little as we can
    • http://www.bonnevillestreamliner.com
Looks like a blown gas lakester to me! :-D
  Sid.
:-D :-D
Rick Yacoucci

The new Nebulous Theorem 3.5 #788
http://www.bonnevillestreamliner.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
It that a PVC roll cage? 
Almost looks like it....  :dhorse:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline kiwi belly tank

What's wrong with PVC, that's legal with SCT Eh! :-D
  Sid.

Offline ronnieroadster

It that a PVC roll cage? 
Almost looks like it....  :dhorse:

That helps with the CP/CG issues      :-D
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline aircap

It that a PVC roll cage? 

I thought it was electrical conduit wrapped in yellow electrical tape.