Author Topic: 225" rail car as a salt racer?  (Read 4172 times)

Offline TheHardOne

225" rail car as a salt racer?
« on: February 10, 2018, 06:17:05 PM »
Hey all, had the chance come up to purchase a damn-near ready to go 225" rear engine rail (minus engine and trans) for a decent price.  I know the different schools of racing have different specs when it comes to safety but it seems like it's a whole lot closer to being salt-worthy than the former LSR S10 I bought here a while back.  Are there any considerations to running such a long wheelbase at Bonneville?  I would think center of pressure vs center of gravity wouldn't as much a concern as compared to a pickup.  Also, am I correct in assuming that it would fall into the lakester category of car (or streamliner, with a few fairings add into the mix)?  I don't rightly care about record chasing (yet), I just wanna go fast and have fun doing it (safely).  I would definitely appreciate any input as to running a car like that on the salt.  Thanks!!   :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: 225" rail car as a salt racer?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 06:30:05 PM »
usually lots of things you have to change to be able to get a drag car signed off on the salt or dirt
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 06:38:28 PM »
Lakester for sure, and with a body, possibly a streamliner, but either way, this will fall squarely into the "special construction" category, and all applicable rules will apply.  The degree to which they apply will be based on the speed of the current record in the class.

There aren't but a dozen special construction categories with records below 200 mph, so unless you're running a 250 cc motorcycle engine, it's likely to be very highly scrutinized.

You'd be hard pressed to find a drag car with sufficient roll cage and construction considerations to be allowed to compete, even in the slower, smaller engine classes.

Go to the Bockscar build in the build diaries.  If he's running the old engine, then it's being set up for a 1 liter, and it likely already weighs twice what a drag car the same size weighs.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline TheHardOne

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 06:51:55 PM »
Lakester for sure, and with a body, possibly a streamliner, but either way, this will fall squarely into the "special construction" category, and all applicable rules will apply.  The degree to which they apply will be based on the speed of the current record in the class.

There aren't but a dozen special construction categories with records below 200 mph, so unless you're running a 250 cc motorcycle engine, it's likely to be very highly scrutinized.

You'd be hard pressed to find a drag car with sufficient roll cage and construction considerations to be allowed to compete, even in the slower, smaller engine classes.

Go to the Bockscar build in the build diaries.  If he's running the old engine, then it's being set up for a 1 liter, and it likely already weighs twice what a drag car the same size weighs.

I met Stainless here a while back and got to check out his shop, live just under an hour from him.  Always check to see where he's at on the Bockscar resurrection whenever I sign in.

I have yet to actually lay eyes on the rail car, my racing partner sent me some info on it a couple hours ago.  Just an idea, and one that I thought might be closer to salt worthiness than the little S10 we have right now.
 I've read through the SCTA rule book quite a bit, broke it back out tonight to scrutinize special construction a little closer.  We'll see how it all plays out, still try to go see the rail and get an idea of what we'd be up against.  Appreciate the replies.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 06:53:52 PM »
I think two of us are telling you it is worth what parts you can harvest off of it---which will be very few that will help you the frame is usually worthless  
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 07:13:37 PM »
Tyler, look at tube size and wall thickness, then look at frame flex... Most RED are designed to have flex for weight transfer... often with sliding parts on the top rails.  There have been several show up over the years, some made it past tech if they were beefed enough...
 Your truck will be easier  :cheers: :cheers:

Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2018, 07:22:30 PM »
Bob will have your back on this - you've made a good acquaintance, there, and you're lucky to have him in the neighborhood.

Especially when he's pouring . . .  :cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline desotoman

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2018, 11:53:39 PM »
I would definitely appreciate any input as to running a car like that on the salt.  Thanks!!   :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Been there done that. Back in the mid to late 1980's I bought a super comp 4 link dragster off Harry Hoffman Jr.. I thought the 4 link would be perfect for El Mirage and Bonneville as it provided some suspension in the rear. After I ended up having the car front halved and putting more bracing everywhere, it would have been cheaper to just build one from scratch. Especially after the cost of all the aluminum body work. I eventually sold the car to Charles and Gains Markley and they ran the car for a couple of years at Bonneville, then they bought a belly tank.

I personally would not go that route again, but sometimes we have to learn the hard way.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline TheHardOne

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 08:58:43 AM »
I think two of us are telling you it is worth what parts you can harvest off of it---which will be very few that will help you the frame is usually worthless   

Your truck will be easier  :cheers: :cheers:

I would definitely appreciate any input as to running a car like that on the salt.  Thanks!!   :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I personally would not go that route again, but sometimes we have to learn the hard way.

Tom G.

Appreciate the input and experience, fellas.  Just an itch we thought might be faster scratched going that route.  My partner has offered his Trans Am WS6 to be modified to run in either the 130 or 150 club until we get our class racer project rolling.  We just wanna race, darnit.  Haha...  :cheers: