Author Topic: Breaking the Land Speed Record. Unlimited Budget, How Long, How Fast, How Much?  (Read 11377 times)

Offline J79

• J79 Exhaust from a F4 Phantom II
How fast will 160 horsepower get you on the water? Will it get you 200mph on water?

For example, if 1,000 horsepower will get you 200mph, how fast will 1,000 horsepower get you on the water. Just use averages and avoid the extremes.

I think 160 Hp should get you over 200 MPH on the salt'

John
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 10:15:05 PM by J79 »
"My, people come and go so quickly here." Dorothy, from the movie Wizard of Oz.

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure, and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, 1874-1922.

From the movie Dr. Strangelove, General Jack D. Ripper:

"Mandrake, in the name of Her Majesty and the Continental Congress come here and feed me this belt boy... Mandrake, come over here, the Red Coats are coming!"

"He said war was too important to be left to the generals. When he said that, 50 years ago, he might have been right. But today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious "automotive" bodily fluids."

Offline J79

• J79 Exhaust from a F4 Phantom II
In the standard free fall skydiver position from 10,000 feet, you will fall at approximately 120mph.
How fast would you be going if they dropped you from 10,000 feet into the traps at the five?
"My, people come and go so quickly here." Dorothy, from the movie Wizard of Oz.

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure, and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, 1874-1922.

From the movie Dr. Strangelove, General Jack D. Ripper:

"Mandrake, in the name of Her Majesty and the Continental Congress come here and feed me this belt boy... Mandrake, come over here, the Red Coats are coming!"

"He said war was too important to be left to the generals. When he said that, 50 years ago, he might have been right. But today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious "automotive" bodily fluids."

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
In the standard free fall skydiver position from 10,000 feet, you will fall at approximately 120mph.
How fast would you be going if they dropped you from 10,000 feet into the traps at the five?

Yea but what if they dropped the 160 horses on top of you  :roll:

I guess one vehicle can do 200 on 160 but another may take 1000... same would go for boats... not all have the same streamlining... watch the cup races sometime.....
Do some research and get back to us in a month or two  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline TrickyDicky

And how fast if you were in a record-breaking streamliner?

:dhorse: :dhorse: :dhorse: :dhorse: :dhorse:

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
I`m somewhat attracted to the idea of dropping Franklin from 10K feet.............
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Ron Gibson

And then drop 160 full grown horses on him. Sorry about that PETA. Would not hurt animals. No animals were hurt in this suggestion. :dhorse: :dhorse:

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline ski123

Skiers can ski down a mountain at over 150 mph with no propulsion.
So, terminal velocity means what?

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
Velocity/ Smalocity.....let`s get on with the Franklin bashing :cheers:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Ron, PETA will forgive you, use dead horses, it seems like an ethical use for them  :-o
 :dhorse:  :dhorse:  :dhorse:  :dhorse:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline tallguy

My question is, if you were a billionaire and wanted to break the current Land Speed Record of 763mph by Thrust SSC

1. how long would it take you to either buy a car already made, North American Eagle, Aussie Invader, Steve Fossetts Sonic Wind... or a make a custom made car and break the current 763mph record?
2. what would you use for power?
3. what speed could you easily reach?
4. how much do you think it would cost? Say that you agree to pay workers $50,000 per year, pay all their living expenses while working, provide free food and sleeping rooms, and pay their normal bills at home so they don't go broke while working to build/run the car?
5. include anything else you think would be important.

I just watched the SpaceX launch of their heavy rocket and saw the 2 rocket boosters land upright, side by side, which goes to show you that a land speed record should be obtainable compared to that. This 1 minute video shows the boosters as they fire their rockets prior to landing with sonic booms https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_kfM-BmVzQ

10 most wealthiest people in the US as an example of who could easily afford it:
Bill Gates of Microsoft 81 Billion
Jeff Bezos of Amazon 67 Billion
Warren Buffet Bershire Hathaway 65 Billion
Mark Zuckerber Facebook 55 Billion
Larry Ellison Oracle 49 Billion
Michael Bloomberg Bloomberg LP 45 Billion
Charles Koch 42 Billion
David Koch 42 Billion
Larry Page Google 38 Billion
Sergey Brin Google 37 Billion

1.  About 5-8 years (please note that money would be spent like it's going outta style)

2.  A single throttleable hybrid rocket engine that could be replaced by a new one in less than an hour

3.  800 mph

4.  Probably more than a billion dollars, but possibly less than two billion dollars.  The workers would be much more expensive
     than what you described, and it's likely that a much larger team of people would be required, compared to early
     guesstimate(s).

5.  Many, many test runs, at gradually increased speeds; using the Black Rock Desert, with (many, many) lanes pre-prepared
     and 20-25 miles long.  This includes using sonar or other suitable method to detect hidden hazards (such as rocks) buried
     up to 6 inches below the playa surface.  Many, many spare parts, such as engines, parachutes, wheels, etc.  Money can be
     a wonderful tool if enough is available.

Offline MAYOMAN

That car exists - The Blue Flame - in the museum in Sinsheim, Germany
Ray Dausman, Pete Farnsworth, and Dick Keller built that car 52 years ago.
1. 2 years construction and testing
2. 22,000 pounds thrust bi-propellant rocket - HTP and LNG - refueled between runs
3. designed for 825mph peak speed - 815mph kilometer average speed - transonic wind tunnel verified
4. $4million to build in 2023 - $500,000 in 1970
5. pneumatic tires and wheels were tested at Goodyear at 850mph - would be able to run on the salt flats
We had to detune The Blue Flame rocket in 1970 because Goodyear restricted our maximum speed, just for 1970, to 700mph. We hit a peak speed of 660mph mid-mile with a 630mph kilometer record.
The sponsor decided not to pursue the Mach1 goal in 1971 as the risk/reward for them - the American Gas Association - was not good for publicity.
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline MAYOMAN

Here is the 22,000 pound thrust bipropellant residing in The Blue Flame in Germany.

Offline MAYOMAN

Here is the 850mph Goodyear tire and Cragar wheel on The Blue Flame in the museum in Germany.

Offline MAYOMAN

This view shows how the HTP and LNG bipropellant rocket in The Blue Flame in Germany works.
The liquid HTP provides cooling heat transfer in the rocket housing before decomposing in the catalyst pack.
LNG gaseous injection lights the flame, then the LNG liquid injector acts as sort of an afterburner for full thrust.

Offline MAYOMAN

These Solidworks views show more clearly the actual construction details of the 22,000lb thrust liquid bipropellant rocket in The Blue Flame in the German museum.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 11:19:34 AM by MAYOMAN »