Author Topic: Simpson Arm restaint ... Does it meet the new rule?  (Read 34209 times)

Offline ronnieroadster

Re: Simpson Arm restaint ... Does it meet the new rule?
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2018, 08:52:33 PM »
Just Recieved

Hey Brian, those brand new DJ restraints you just bought aren't legal!  That's not a true 3 bar adjuster. 

OK now Im sure were all really more confused Nathen who has the required correct arm restraints ?  Please help us? Pictures would be great.
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2018, 09:29:15 PM »
  Nice to hear this. My new Deist restraints just got here Saturday.
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Buamotorsport

« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2018, 12:44:08 AM »
This is now becoming silly. Can someone at the SCTA or DJ Safety please put something up on here to show exactly what is required otherwise there will be a lot of unhappy people.

Offline handyguy

• BANTAM FOURPLAY
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2018, 02:11:28 AM »
    The arm restraint now is required to have only one piece parts.   Which means the adjuster piece that HAD a moveable  center bar  (known as the D-RING ) to adjust the length of the reach was loose in the center so you could easily tilt the piece to adjust the length.    NOW the adjusting piece is one piece  (square with 2 slots for the strap) is  adjusted like the seat belt at the bolted end by moving the strap a little bit at a time .  The arm restraint that KIWI STEVE had was from DJ SAFETY with 2018 date . I don't know what other companies have these available ..   Part of the reason I was there was to see for myself what was the offical answer to this new rule.  Driving a thousand miles to know the answer was partly why I went ..   My restraint is a 2016 DJ Safety and has the moveable  2 piece adjuster .  I need the new restraint .     AND  NOOO , you can't modify the old restraint yourself .. Has to be done by SFI authorized  dealer ..    Another new rule is about single axle brakes will require a PARACHUTE   no matter how slow you run !!!    The meeting was well attended by inspectors , but only 2 cars  and couple bikes . Next year hopefully more people can take advantage of a preseason  inspection  look at your car or bike ..  STEVE  ANDERSON  Inspector  , TUCSON , AZ..     40 BANTAM     T/O

Offline deep in debt motorsports

« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2018, 09:58:16 AM »
Just Recieved

Hey Brian, those brand new DJ restraints you just bought aren't legal!  That's not a true 3 bar adjuster. 
[/quot
e]
PICS of true 3 bar adjuster please!
#327 C/GR

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2018, 11:41:11 AM »
I still don't have the 'right' restraints yet.  I have the same DJ restraints that Brian just bought and I confirmed that they do not meet the requirements of the new rule.  The bottom line is that the restraint CAN NOT have any kind of sliding "quick" adjustment.  It needs to be a locking 3 bar design that does not allow for quick slip adjustment.  I think the problem with this type of restraint is that if it can slip tight that it can also potentially slip loose.  By having a non-quick adjustment type restraint, you eliminate the chance of slippage which obviously makes the restraint more effective. 

Attached is the photo I was shown of an example of a restraint with 3 bar hardware.  See how it has a 3 bar adjuster just like your seat belts with the tail tucked back through so that only one bar is showing?  This is what you MUST have.  Anything else will not pass.

El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2018, 12:55:10 PM »
I still don't have the 'right' restraints yet.  I have the same DJ restraints that Brian just bought and I confirmed that they do not meet the requirements of the new rule.  The bottom line is that the restraint CAN NOT have any kind of sliding "quick" adjustment.  It needs to be a locking 3 bar design that does not allow for quick slip adjustment.  I think the problem with this type of restraint is that if it can slip tight that it can also potentially slip loose.  By having a non-quick adjustment type restraint, you eliminate the chance of slippage which obviously makes the restraint more effective. 

Attached is the photo I was shown of an example of a restraint with 3 bar hardware.  See how it has a 3 bar adjuster just like your seat belts with the tail tucked back through so that only one bar is showing?  This is what you MUST have.  Anything else will not pass.

Thanks Nathan and I believe Mike also posted the correct ones on page one of this thread....

Sumner

Buamotorsport

« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2018, 01:08:23 PM »
My Simpson ones which are brand new do not comply. Simple as that, which is rediculous. I can see this being a real problem come August. Is there no other way to solve this. Has anyone approached any other manufacturer....Simpson tell me me they will not make them or it is not there intention..though I stand to be corrected.

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2018, 01:09:06 PM »
Indeed he did.  :-D  Well now we can all be doubly sure that those are the ones to get... assuming they can be got.

I think the one thing that chaps me about this is that the SCTA is requiring one specific type of equipment even though all the other pieces meet the SFI spec.  So our requirement is now essentially higher than what a regulatory body consisting of a team of engineers have deemed acceptable through rigorous testing and analysis.  But I guess if it saves one person's hand or arm or life then it's worth it, right?  Better safe than dead.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 01:11:08 PM by NathanStewart »

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2018, 01:10:25 PM »
Nathan- a solid 3 bar adjuster is specified in the rule book. Got that. Does the "tail" of the strap HAVE to be tucked back through as is shown and your response implies. That is not specified in the rule. Is this one of the "we interpret the rule" (which does not specify) deals?

Thanks for your input.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2018, 01:18:20 PM »
Jack - good point.  Having to have the tail tucked back through actually isn't specified but knowing what we know about this type of hardware, the belt or tether isn't 'locked' unless the tail is sent back through leaving only one bar showing.  I am going to deduce that this will be the unwritten requirement as I believe one of the comments I heard after a recent crash was the someone's arm restraint simply came undone during their crash as in the tether just pulled right through the hardware and not that the tether actually broke or failed otherwise.  Leaving the tail untucked means the tether can slip through the hardware making the restraint totally useless thus I can assume/presume that in order for it to actually be effective, it must be 'locked' by having the loose tail tucked back through.  I don't think this really needs to be written as the equipment manufacturer's intention is that the tail be sent back through because that's how the system works.  The underlying rule has always been that safety equipment be properly installed and used PER MANUFACTURERS RECOMMENDATIONS and tucking the loose tail back through would fall under that premise IMO.

Offline jdincau

« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2018, 01:25:04 PM »
That is what DJ seat belt install instructions say.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline RogerL

« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2018, 01:54:21 PM »
Just and FYI, I have Stroud restraints sown on the suit. Bob fixed me up with new "legal" 3-bar tethers for 30 bucks.

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2018, 02:40:37 PM »
Just and FYI, I have Stroud restraints sown on the suit. Bob fixed me up with new "legal" 3-bar tethers for 30 bucks.

Are you sure the sown on location will meet the rule which if I read this correctly is now at the wrist?
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2018, 02:43:37 PM »
Mine are the same as Mikes pics. actually better with the steel attaching point. I am showing up in may with these. Someone official needs tho straighten this $hit out and stop all the spectulation
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean