Author Topic: Modern day parable  (Read 5090 times)

Offline Ron Gibson

Modern day parable
« on: January 24, 2018, 10:19:09 AM »

Modern Day Parable

A Japanese company (Toyota) and an American company (General Motors) decided to have a canoe race on the Missouri River.  Both teams practiced long and hard to reach their peak  performance before the race.

On the big day, the Japanese won by a mile .

The Americans, very discouraged and depressed, decided to investigate the reason for the crushing defeat.  A management team made up of senior management was formed to investigate and recommend appropriate action.

Their conclusion was the Japanese had 8 people paddling and 1 person steering, while the American team had 7 people steering and 2 people paddling.

Feeling a deeper study was in order, American management hired a consulting company and paid them a large amount of money for a second opinion.

They advised, of course, that too many people were steering the boat, while not enough people were paddling.

Not sure of how to utilize that information, but wanting to prevent another loss to the Japanese, the paddling team's management structure was totally reorganized to 4 steering supervisors, 2 area steering superintendents and 1 assistant superintendent steering manager.

They also implemented a new performance system that would give the 2 people paddling the boat greater incentive to work harder.  It was called the 'Rowing Team Quality First Program, with meetings, dinners and free pens for the paddlers.  There was discussion of getting new paddles, canoes and other equipment, extra vacation days for practices, and bonuses.  The pension program was trimmed to 'equal the competition' and some of the resultant savings were channeled into morale boosting programs and teamwork posters.

The next year the Japanese won by two miles.

Humiliated, the American management laid off one paddler, halted development of a new canoe , sold all the paddles, and cancelled all capital investments for new equipment.  The money saved was distributed to the Senior Executives as bonuses.

The next year, try as he might, the lone designated paddler was unable to even finish the race (having no paddles), so he was laid off for unacceptable performance, all canoe equipment was sold and the next year's racing team was out-sourced to India.

Sadly, the End.

Here's something else to think about: GM has spent the last thirty years moving all its factories out of the US claiming they can't make money paying American wages.

TOYOTA has spent the last thirty years building more than a dozen plants inside the US .   The last quarter's results:

TOYOTA makes 4 billion in profits while GM racks up 9 billion in losses !!!

GM folks are still scratching their heads, and collecting bonuses... ???
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
Re: Modern day parable
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 03:01:31 PM »
And THAT, in a nutshell is the complex explanation of:

A/    Short term profiteering, as taught by Harvard Business School and other business schools,

2/    Vampire Capitalism, as "perfected" by the new "Billionaire Class" here in the USA,

d/    Offshore Capital Investment combined with Offshore Product Production, to sell here in the USA, again perfected by the new "Billionaire Class",

I could go on, but I suspect no one is listening . . . . . . . . .

Not too funny now, is it?

Is there anybody but me worried about our children and grandchildren?

:cry:  :cry:  :cry:
Too late for our generation . . . . . .
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 04:52:08 PM »
Having lived in America for some time now I was also worried about this scenario so I killed off all my family, problem solved! :roll:
  Sid.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 12:42:10 AM »
It is an odd situation.  The tow vehicle is a 2008 Toyota Tacoma that was custom assembled to my specifications in Fremont California.  Delivery time to Oregon was six weeks after the order was placed.  There have been no problems with the truck that was its fault.  I like to buy american so I get OEM Toyota parts 'cause they are made here.  My preferred american brand is Ford.  They have no normal size trucks anymore.  Only big monsters like F-150's.  It is hard for me to not buy a Toyota.

Offline tallguy

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 03:33:52 AM »
I've had 3 Toyota trucks in a row.  They usually last me about 11 years before some annoying problem makes me want to sell.
The first 2 of these trucks each blew a head gasket once.  My latest is a 2007 Tacoma, minimal everything with NO extras or
options (but it is an automatic.  Maybe that's "standard").  Still going strong.  No issues.  And the functional design
keeps improving.  For example, the fan belt is very wide but thin, so the flexing doesn't cause cracks to develop.  Smart.
The truck still has all original engine & internals (including rings and bearings). I have had the sparkplugs replaced at least
once, as part of factory-recommended maintenance.  Still have original starter, generator (or alternator), cooling system parts,
tranny, differential, etc.

I may be on the second set of brakes now (don't remember). I know I've had the battery replaced at least once, but it did
last a good 5 years each time.  Have gone through several sets of tires.  I am a gentle driver and keep up with maintenance
very well (especially oil changes).

I have no big complaints about Toyota trucks lately, and will likely buy another.  Unless I run into a lot of money.  Then I
may try another brand (possibly out of curiosity) of truck.  But I don't dislike or hate any other automaker.

Offline mtiberio

• ElMo MPG1K 141, LTA MPF1K 137, ECTA MPG1K 118
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 07:08:34 PM »
Guess who would win WWII today...?

USA would.