Author Topic: finally jumping in...  (Read 4000 times)

Offline Claybuster84

• New folks
    • Weikert Bros. Racing
finally jumping in...
« on: January 18, 2018, 04:58:33 PM »
Well guys, after spectating every year since 2009 at Speedweek, and the long grueling drive from Des Moines every year (including 2014), I have finally decided to go for it and will be competing in the 250 bike class this year. Hopeful and excited to get things going and may have some questions for you experts as time draws near... especially nor a novice competitor I am trying to avoid any of the stupid mistakes. We are running to try and raise money for the Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research and hoping to get a decent amount of donations as we promote this. Ready to get out there!

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
Re: finally jumping in...
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 05:08:09 PM »
It's about time you joined on here!  This forum is great.  There is a ton of information on here.  You'll enjoy it!

Also, I am sure Ralph can answer questions as you go along.
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 11:41:05 PM »
Plenty of racers here in the Midwest.  I'm originally from Cedar Rapids, there's a team racing a Volkswagon out of North Liberty, Tom Donney's in Ft. Dodge, get across the river into Wisconsin and north to the Twin Cities, and it's remarkable how many make that long, dreary trip through Nebraska.

Tell us more about the Fox Foundation. 

Sam Posey has been an outstanding spokesman for Parkinson's awareness, and has been a hero of my dad since the early Trans Am Days.  My Dad currently suffers with it, but is doing quite well.

Welcome aboard.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Claybuster84

• New folks
    • Weikert Bros. Racing
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 12:43:21 PM »
Here is our donation portal for the Foundation - A lot of great information on there...

https://fundraise.michaeljfox.org/tf-2018/TeamWeikert

This is a great foundation that allows 100% of raised money to go towards research! My dad currently suffers from Parkinson's. He raced Pikes Peak for this same cause in 2012 on the same bike I am running at Bonneville!

Offline salt27

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 01:06:28 PM »
Clay, Would you mind sharing the details on your bike.

Thanks, Don

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 01:43:59 PM »
Clay, you live in the same city as a good road racing friend of mine, Noah Lacona. Noah passed in January of last year and he will certainly be missed. He owned Noah's Ark restraurant that helped finance a number of very fast race cars over the years. Even though we were in two different classes, I raced against Noah's under 2 liter CanAm Lola sports racer in my Tiga Sports 2000 car. Try as I did and as badly as I wanted that car, I could not pry that Lola from his hands.

John

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 02:10:36 PM »
Clay, you live in the same city as a good road racing friend of mine, Noah Lacona. Noah passed in January of last year and he will certainly be missed. He owned Noah's Ark restraurant that helped finance a number of very fast race cars over the years. Even though we were in two different classes, I raced against Noah's under 2 liter CanAm Lola sports racer in my Tiga Sports 2000 car. Try as I did and as badly as I wanted that car, I could not pry that Lola from his hands.

John

John,
Any chance you raced at Greenwood?  I have a small collection of programs and photographs, and am always on the lookout for more.  I love that place...

Justin
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 02:33:01 PM »
Hi Justin:

Never raced Greenwood. I was a Mid Div and Cen Div racer and didn't venture out much. If I needed National points, I would tow to another division but that was rare.

Now I know why I never raced Greenwood. I looked up the track and it was active while I was still attending a Southern California HS. From what few pictures I saw, it was a nicely laid out track, reminiscent of Road America (my favorite) but looked a bit dangerous with trees closely lining each side of the track. By the time I reached the Midwest, Greenwood was long gone.

John

« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 11:08:33 AM by ggl205 »