(Note: Donations are not tax deductible)

This is a public forum. The opinions expressed here don't
necessarily reflect the feelings of The Folks That Run The Site (that's us)
unless we explicitly say so, ok?

Forum's been "upgraded".
Things will look a bit different.
A *few* posts might have gotten lost in the crossover.
PM bobc with problems, or post in "Website Suggestions".

Author Topic: Mounting a "Turnip Eater" type fairing  (Read 4247 times)

Offline Unforgiven

Mounting a "Turnip Eater" type fairing
« on: January 16, 2018, 03:06:40 PM »
Anyone familiar with the bike the "Turnip Eater". Am trying to figure out best way to attach to a sportster frame. I am pretty good at fabricating and body work but this is a first and I want it to look professional and pass scrutinizing. 'Preciate any help.

Offline Beef Stew

• New folks
Re: Mounting a "Turnip Eater" type fairing
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 12:46:33 AM »
Anyone familiar with the bike the "Turnip Eater". Am trying to figure out best way to attach to a sportster frame. I am pretty good at fabricating and body work but this is a first and I want it to look professional and pass scrutinizing. 'Preciate any help.

Check-out these photos from Hot Bike https://www.hotbikeweb.com/harley-davidsons-golden-age-racing#page-2

Buck Lovell is the former editor of Hot Bike https://www.facebook.com/bucklovell He knew everyone, including Leo Payne and Mel Disharoon. He lives in South Dekota, and still works as a photographer.

Sporty Parts, in Fullerton, CA may have the parts you need https://sportyparts.com/ At one time they carried all the racing parts from the HD catalog. I haven't been over there recently, and they have new owners.

Former record holder at RIR ½ mile drags, El Mirage and Bonneville.

Beef Stew doesn't have his head where the sun-don't-shine. His head is in SoCal where the unusual is an everyday happening.

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 07:16:46 AM »
Mike in Tacoma

"aww, what the hell - let's just do it".............

Bike #833
100cc A/G, A/F and APS/G (in 2019)

Online WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 08:09:15 AM »
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline mc2032

• Reliability and performance are highly overrated.
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 09:09:02 AM »
I mounted an aftermarket GSXR fairing on the Sportster (with much assistance from Bob "Stainless" Steele) using a bracket similar to the one shown on Airtech's web page.  Four point mounting and rock solid.  Granted, there were a few more steps involved than just the front bracket/mount but overall was fairly painless.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 02:09:33 PM by mc2032 »
#1032 1350 A-PBG & F, Bunches of passes down the salt and quit counting.

Offline Unforgiven

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 07:54:46 PM »
Airtech can guide you in mounting this.....

http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/vintage/vintagefairingsfull.htm

Thanks much. I am shooting for 1000cc MPGPS (Modified Production Gas Partial Streamlining) (Is that right) ? I got the fairing from someone who had it stored. Have a rigid mount sportster frame and a 2008 Buell XB9 motor. Looking for a lighter ironhead frame locally.

Offline Unforgiven

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 07:59:46 PM »

Check-out these photos from Hot Bike https://www.hotbikeweb.com/harley-davidsons-golden-age-racing#page-2

Buck Lovell is the former editor of Hot Bike https://www.facebook.com/bucklovell He knew everyone, including Leo Payne and Mel Disharoon. He lives in South Dekota, and still works as a photographer.

Sporty Parts, in Fullerton, CA may have the parts you need https://sportyparts.com/ At one time they carried all the racing parts from the HD catalog. I haven't been over there recently, and they have new owners.

I've got parts from them in the past. Old owners were good sportster fanatics. I have a lot of my own sportster hoard , but everytime I head one direction, it leads to another. Shooting for a 1000cc MP build with a buell XB9 motor on a rigid mount frame or an early ironhead frame. Someone told me not to get too light.

Offline Unforgiven

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 08:03:15 PM »
Thanks to ya'll for your help and direction.

Offline mtiberio

• El Mirage M-PG 1000cc record, 141.693
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 08:19:31 AM »

Thanks much. I am shooting for 1000cc MPGPS (Modified Production Gas Partial Streamlining) (Is that right) ? I got the fairing from someone who had it stored. Have a rigid mount sportster frame and a 2008 Buell XB9 motor. Looking for a lighter ironhead frame locally.

MPS-PG modified (production) partial streamlining - pushrod gas...

I ran that class last year on a 1000cc Guzzi at El Mirage. All I had was a small bullet fairing. I went 139.9, the minimum for a record is 144. Good luck, with the fairing you are looking at and the Buell motor, you should blow that away. If you are thinking about a Bonneville record, that is 169.9 done by fireman Bill on a Guzzi. Beating that will be tough.

Offline Unforgiven

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 03:32:28 PM »
Thanks man, Yep that is the class I am shooting for. Didn't know if I had all the letters correct. Someone told me the AMA event record was 146 and change. I don't know if I want to run that event anyway. H-D used the Cal-Tec wind tunnel to design that fairing on Mr. Leo's motorcycle; Saying it was the best design for that bike. I always liked the Turnip Eater; It looks fast sitting still. I can manage the parts list fairly cheap. Got frame, have engine, have fairing; Have 40 years knowledge and experience with the XL. I should do ok; Except I have never gone fast on salt; Just asphalt and some holligan flat track races. I found the fairing mounts on Airtech's site; So I have that covered. I can come up with side mounts and such. I sure appreciate all the help I get here. Oh yea, I have  a 1968 Moto Guzzi, supposed to be an Eldorado. I kinda like it. I would own a new Eldorado except there isn't a dealer within 1500 miles of me.

Offline **RP**

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2018, 08:04:16 AM »
Looks like Leo mounted the fairing with the fasteners from that time period.  Dzus 1/4 turn buttons and spring plates are the way to go today. Photo of typical brackets on a half fairing with 4 mounting points, may want to go with 6 mounting points on a full fairing.
Ralph Pitlock
www.paintworkz.com

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2018, 06:20:53 PM »
MPS-PG 191.752 Mellor, T Triumph 2011
MPS-PF 136.346 Woodford, D Harley-Davidson 2014

AMA Records as of July 2017