Author Topic: UK Lakester build G/GL  (Read 289660 times)

Offline Lemming Motors

Re: UK Lakester build G/GL
« Reply #570 on: April 28, 2020, 10:54:49 AM »
I have a question about nuts please:

Rule book 2.G says 1/2" wheel studs with 1" lug nuts. I am using steel wheels (stock) which I assume are a 60 degree interface but all the 1" wrench size lug nuts I have looked at (Jegs, Speedway etc) state they are 45 degree for racing wheels.

Am I misunderstanding the compatibility?

Does anyone have a supplier for a 1/2" thread lug nut (1" wrench) for stock Chevy steel wheels - can I use the 45 degree ones or is that a no-no?
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #571 on: April 28, 2020, 11:02:33 AM »
If you can't find them, anyone with a lathe could change the angle on the nuts rather easily. those nuts are a pretty good size so there should be lots of material.

Pete

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #572 on: April 28, 2020, 11:49:18 AM »
Thanks Pete, good call and that is now my back up plan.

Hopefully it wont come to that (importing nuts then machining them) - I am hoping there is a source of compatible ones 'off the shelf'.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #573 on: May 18, 2020, 08:58:18 AM »
Sourced the wheel nuts and the angle is being altered to align with the road rims.  :-D

Aw chute, today is my last day of work. Not a victim of the virus but of corporate greed (well, an acquisition which is sort of the same thing).
Tomorrow I start gardening leave which, in my case will be a mix, negotiated with the steering committee, that includes the garden, diy and the garage.

Recent progress pic attached (for the pun value).
Just a squeeze.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #574 on: May 18, 2020, 09:11:03 AM »
Fooling around with the front suspension at the moment.

4 bars mocked up, steering rack mount to the axle and the shock actuation (location = above the drivers legs) in mock up, seen here.

If the stars align the entire chassis and all of its critical bracketry will be ready for a welding session in a couple of weeks.
Just a squeeze.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #575 on: May 27, 2020, 01:15:29 PM »
The chassis is upside down (hope that doesn't happen too often) and that allowed some proof of concept work on the sliding block for the front axle lateral location.

The rod end / turnbuckles are there to reinforce the guide tower both laterally and fore / aft.

The block pivot 'bolt' is 3/4" thick threaded at one end so it screws through the 5mm plate to a captured 3/4" nut and turned down at the other end for the 1/2" locating / lock nut.
Just a squeeze.

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #576 on: May 27, 2020, 02:01:08 PM »
John:

Is there going to be a bearing in the block?

John

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #577 on: May 27, 2020, 02:43:50 PM »
John - not in the plan - I am aware Alfa did incorporate one in their GTA rear axle set-up.

I figure it can rotate on the 3/4" pivot and its not designed to do large mileage or very much suspension travel / movement.
Just a squeeze.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #578 on: May 28, 2020, 04:47:10 PM »
John,
The slider block is brass  (or bronze?) that is a bearing. Love to see a good sliding block locator. Great job John!
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #579 on: May 29, 2020, 09:54:22 AM »
Thanks Rex and yes, good point, the brass will act as its own bearing for my purposes.

I am not sure if it is a 'good' sliding block locator but it is at least a sliding block locator with limited space for watts etc. in my application and might be food for thought for others.

Lets see if the car tracks straight before giving it an unconditional thumbs up though.
Just a squeeze.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #580 on: June 03, 2020, 11:42:19 AM »
The full chassis incorporating the previously completed roll structure has gone away for a welding session by someone who has a better strike rate than I do (some of my welds are gutter balls - I just don't have the art).

I decided to finish up the pedal assembly today; clutch foot rest (adjustable), throttle return spring #2 plus the throttle stop (adjustable) and a floor wedge (to be covered with anti-slip) for a heel to push against when bailing out.

The entire pedal assembly can be moved for shorter legs than mine by around 5" so the clutch and brake masters will need flexi lines on them (with stainless over-braid) - any reason why I shouldn't run that stuff all the way thus avoiding joins from flexi to hard line and back to flexi to attach to the slaves? I am thinking a 1.5" x 3/4" channel running under the floor for the wires and pipes to run in - punch that through the firewall and liberally seal it with intumescent silicone?
Just a squeeze.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #581 on: June 03, 2020, 12:03:57 PM »
I wouldn't recommend doing that. Flexible hose lines don't have enough rigidity to prevent expansion under pressure. This results in a "soft pedal" feel.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #582 on: June 03, 2020, 01:08:30 PM »
John, what size master cylinder are you using for the clutch?

John

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #583 on: June 03, 2020, 01:50:21 PM »
John,
 I have worked on cars that used -3 stainless flex line from the master cyl to the brake(s) it was a road race car, and there didn't seem to be a problem. On the other hand you "should" be only using the brakes once the parachute has gotten you down to "slow" so brake use is pretty light and even if you should loose your chute you will have lots of room to coast down. Do not use -4 that will make the pedal soft. Use -4 for the clutch circuit.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #584 on: June 03, 2020, 03:58:00 PM »
We use flex lines on the bikes.  It is the typical line.  There is a big difference in response when different line materials are used.  The softest and spongiest response seems to be with the rubber lines and the opposite using the teflon tube with braided stainless steel cover lines.