Author Topic: UK Lakester build G/GL  (Read 289692 times)

Offline Lemming Motors

Re: UK Lakester build G/GL
« Reply #555 on: April 08, 2020, 07:45:00 AM »
The fuel tank has gone from fibreboard to metal - looks just the same to me.

I have avoided weld on tags to bolt it down as I am thinking there might be some vibration - it will have nitrile rubber wherever it touches and be retained by brackets off the chassis that wedge it in.

The filler neck is attached with 8 bolts but not big enough to get my hand in so the locknut / washer was taped to in the ring spanner that was feed in and maneuvered into position to get the thread started. 8 bolts took an entire Black Sabbath CD!
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #556 on: April 08, 2020, 07:52:00 AM »
I have not been able to find a fire bottle cable in the UK with 'pins' to avoid accidentally setting them off from the cockpit. I got this from Pegasus in the US in around a week - amazing considering whats happening in the world.

I am waving it about but no light bulbs yet. I think I need to make a cardboard one to tape in different places and see if I bash it getting in and out, and if its easy to reach etc.

I notice some door cars (drag racing) put them overhead or on the sides of the head area of the roll structure and pull them forwards - they wouldn't be in the way, the cable routing is nice and direct to the rear of the car and is much neater etc etc; presumably the right hand reaches for the left hand pull - bad idea?
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #557 on: April 08, 2020, 08:58:28 AM »
     For a rough idea of what you might or might not be able to reach/operate:  Sit in the car with full gear or heavy clothing to simulate fire suit, some strings attached between wrists and belt buckle limiting hands to inside of cage to simulate arm restraints, and then check reaches and ranges of motion.  When all necessary functions are considered it can get complicated and some compromises will most likely have to be made.

Now is also the time to build in adjustments to fit different sized drivers.  That need will come, far easier to allow for now than make the changes later.

Ed

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #558 on: April 08, 2020, 10:18:11 AM »
Thanks Ed
I purchased the full fire suit and harness with wrist restraints for that very purpose. The harness will get replaced before this thing ever sees salt but now at least I know where I don't want the buckles, and that a rotary release catch doesn't (as I cant reach it).

The pedal box is move-able several inches via three bolts and flexi lines on brake and clutch but the steering is fixed and the seat depth etc is fixed - I am the most tall / wide any driver of this Lakester can be but for people with inadequate legs we can move the pedals and worst case pad the seat - I believe one inch is allowed, after that it will have to be a bolt in insert. My crew chief has been in it and he is quite a bit shorter / slimmer than I am. If we stick something under his bum the steering and back rest are okay; remember I have a semi reclined position with my legs raised above my bum a la LeMans prototypes - as a rookie I decided on driving comfort (control?) over a few inches of vehicle height / frontal - I will probably regret that decision.
Just a squeeze.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #559 on: April 08, 2020, 02:22:20 PM »
John,
Good plan for the retention of the fuel tank, BTW really nice looking tank!! One thing you might consider is to fill the tank with water to check for any small pin leaks in the welds. I am sure that your fabricator probably already did this but checking again will ensure that it is "fuel" tight. A real pain in the a$$ to fix after gas starts to leak out. ( Don't ask me how I know!)

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #560 on: April 08, 2020, 02:55:19 PM »
  John,

Great to hear you have the issues covered that I thought I did years ago.  Don't ask how I have learned since  :-D 'nuff said on that.

All the best, keep the posts coming, I'll continue to watch with interest.

Ed

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #561 on: April 08, 2020, 05:21:47 PM »
Ed, Rex
If it even remotely looks like I have a clue it is because I am on this forum and leveraging the experience posted and shared herein.

Apart from pin holes I?d love to know what the tank holds so a measured quantity of water to follow, great idea. I just need to remember to blank the male AN fittings for outlet and drain in the bottom of the tank.

John
Just a squeeze.

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #562 on: April 08, 2020, 05:47:48 PM »
"I just need to remember to blank the male AN fittings for outlet and drain in the bottom of the tank."

John, I think you can do it.  :wink:  :cheers:
Wayno

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #563 on: April 08, 2020, 09:38:50 PM »
Hey, I can tell you that you should not apply shop air to the tank to see if any water seeps out.... No I didn't but someone on our team did years ago... 10-15 psi would have been plenty and a lot less scary during the POP!
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #564 on: April 09, 2020, 02:08:41 AM »
I would test it with fuel. Fuel will leak where water sometimes won't.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #565 on: April 09, 2020, 02:35:26 PM »
If you use alcohol you would not have to worry about welding  if you did find a leak :cheers:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #566 on: April 09, 2020, 04:42:35 PM »
I use VERY low air pressure and spray all seams down with a spray bottle filled with water and a few drops of dish detergent. Any leaks stand out big time and there's little danger or cleanup.

Pete

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #567 on: April 15, 2020, 11:05:22 AM »
I filled the tank with water and am none the wiser (in leak terms) but I can confirm it is 14 litres without having it slosh out the filler so around 3.5 US gallons. It did prove that the screws that hold the filler in place need sealing so it was not a total bust.

On a bright note the oil remote takeoff clears the new number one down tube of the headers by about 1/4". The OEM setup has a water / oil inter cooler sandwiched between the block and the oil filter - faster warm up then cooling I guess. Removed that completely and found an M20 / M22 male / male oil adapter thread insert that screws into the block and accepts the top hat of the oil takeoff I already had. Result.

Once the front suspension is all mocked up I will drop the engine and box back in and cross fingers and toes that the headers 'fit'.
Just a squeeze.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #568 on: April 15, 2020, 11:06:29 AM »
Okay, I cannot count - it screws in with the headers in place, past the number one down tube and clears the number two by 1/4".
Just a squeeze.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #569 on: April 15, 2020, 11:46:48 AM »
I use VERY low air pressure and spray all seams down with a spray bottle filled with water and a few drops of dish detergent. Any leaks stand out big time and there's little danger or cleanup.

Pete

Similar to Pete,  I've used VERY HOT water, no soap, no air pressure.   The hot water expands any tank and elicits leaks.    Set on some dry paper towels and the leak will reveal itself.

You need to use something that will not contaminate the weld zone if you need to do repairs.

ONLY the welder knows if there might be a weld zone defect, and most of the time, they are surprised too.

:cheers:
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein