Author Topic: UK Lakester build G/GL  (Read 289703 times)

Offline Lemming Motors

Re: UK Lakester build G/GL
« Reply #540 on: March 23, 2020, 05:23:20 AM »
The headers are in Irvine Ca - the company I work for has an office close by and I used to go there a few times a year for business. I started this dialogue something like a year ago and took over my ITBs to match to the head (US sourced) and a pattern for the relationship of the engine exhaust system to the bodywork (for fit).

I don't get out there anymore so I wont be able to smuggle these back in my luggage.  :cry:

The exhaust shop there has been into racing engines for the last 30 years or so (and does fast street cars etc as well) and he knows his way around the engine I am using so it seemed sensible at the time.
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #541 on: March 26, 2020, 10:07:14 AM »
Prop shaft containment: check.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #542 on: March 26, 2020, 10:12:31 AM »
One last tubey pic since you've been well behaved.

They (it is multiple tubes but a single assembly - they or it I wonder) should be in transit soon. Oh how I pray we got the pattern right  :roll:
Just a squeeze.

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #543 on: March 26, 2020, 10:32:31 AM »
Truly beautiful, John. That guy does amazing work.

John

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #544 on: March 26, 2020, 10:56:37 AM »
OK. Who did the headers?
Wayno

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #545 on: March 26, 2020, 11:45:41 AM »

John Grudynski 
HyTech Exhausts, Irvine Ca.
www.hytechexhaust.com
Just a squeeze.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #546 on: March 28, 2020, 12:17:42 PM »
Back on page 34 of this thread was a discussion about fire bottle orientation (ideally bum forward) and the firing pin actuation of the bottles that I have.

In the following pics the bottles are sitting above the chassis assembly that surrounds the rear axle and prop (drive) shaft and the front of the vehicle is to the left.

The other pic shows an alternative cable actuation lever that I made from some 6mm aluminium (aluminum) plate. I can now 'pull' and with a small inclination of the bottles the assembly will clear my transversely mounted coil overs. I also 'pinned' the plungers so the levers cannot fire the bottles in transit or when working on the car.

Result.
Just a squeeze.

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #547 on: March 28, 2020, 12:27:59 PM »
Cool. I'm working on a bell crank setup for mine. My bottles are transversely mounted and one requires a blister to keep it out of the airstream. When I was building the car none of the suppliers could tell me how far everything stuck out of the top of the bottle. That was not helpful.  :-P
Wayno

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #548 on: March 28, 2020, 12:38:39 PM »
yup, from the bottle opening to the end of the actuation mechanism is a lot further than you expect with this set-up. Thats the main reason I was contemplating nozzle for wards originally but I think I am on the right track now.
Just a squeeze.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #549 on: March 28, 2020, 02:28:08 PM »
Obviously the horse has bolted here Mate but centering the pinion & cutting one side is desirable to not have excessive U-joint angles with a short shaft.
  Sid.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #550 on: March 29, 2020, 04:44:39 AM »
Sid
At least now if the UJs cry enough the resultant bid for freedom will be contained.  :laugh:

I can?t be the only one with a short shaft on a steep angle?
Just a squeeze.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #551 on: March 29, 2020, 11:57:38 AM »
U J's speed up & slow down twice per revolution & the greater the angle is the bigger that problem becomes. This usually creates a harmonic vibration that is somewhat absorbed by the shaft tube but a short shaft & high rpm multiplies the problem. Other than the risk of scattering a shaft, trans or diff parts, this is all sucking up horsepower before it comes unglued.
  Sid. 

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #552 on: March 29, 2020, 01:26:48 PM »
"I can't be the only one with a short shaft on a steep angle?"

Sounds like my excuse at age 13.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #553 on: March 29, 2020, 01:27:43 PM »
Would using constant velocity joints help?

Offline racergeo

« Reply #554 on: March 29, 2020, 02:52:09 PM »
    Oh, Stan  Stan Stan. Keep em coming!!!  And yes constant velocity u joints :lol: