Author Topic: UK Lakester build G/GL  (Read 289643 times)

Offline Elmo Rodge

Re: UK Lakester build G/GL
« Reply #495 on: February 27, 2020, 02:17:29 PM »
Do you know of a lever action firing pin or were you going to make one?
Wayno

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #496 on: February 27, 2020, 03:14:50 PM »
If some bits arrive in time: this weekend I shall mostly be responding to peer pressure by mounting my pre-filter and pump together (thanks for the direction Stainless) and seeing if it will fit in a position closer to the ground and completing my fire bottle mounts with the expectation that a lever action firing pin (as opposed to push action) will allow me to mount them bum forwards.

Are you sure the fire bottles actuate by pushing? The cable system I have the knobs are pulled to fire the bottles.  This allows the trigger pin that was held away from the bottle to now plunge inward thus setting off the system.
 Ronnieroadster
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #497 on: February 27, 2020, 04:46:45 PM »
The nozzle end of the bottle is in two parts. One that screws onto the bottle has a burst disc built in. Onto that screws the actuating mechanism with ports for the hard lines when activated.

The mechanism I currently have has a central firing pin that looks like a very large syringe needle. As currently supplied this is plunged into the burst disc by being attached to a push cable (something like an old choke cable if that makes any sense).

The alternate available is a lever action attached to the plunger that would be attached to a pull cable.
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #498 on: February 28, 2020, 07:45:31 PM »
I always liked the idea of (in a panic), you start pulling things, even if you break them.

Pull the parachute release.

Pull the fire bottles.

Pull the fuel shut off.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #499 on: February 29, 2020, 12:08:38 AM »
My preference in a fire emergency (& I've been there twice) is to hit the knob to activate it. With big-a$$ gloves on you have no feel to find things in an emergency but if you pound away in the right area, even in a crash with no visibility, you're bound to find it.
If you don't like the way it works just put a bell crank in to reverse it!
  Sid.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #500 on: March 02, 2020, 10:43:46 AM »
I am waiting for an adapter for the fire bottles nozzle trigger. In the meantime I finished the basic mounting assembly though this might be modified to put the nozzle end higher than the base for clearance reasons - probably a better orientation anyway.

I decided to wrap up the plumbing for radiator / tank / vent and took the opportunity when that was all stripped for assembly and paint to put a hole through the firewall for the throttle cable. The 'seal' is a stainless plate with a nitrile rubber gasket.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #501 on: March 02, 2020, 11:37:36 AM »
Buying a firewall seal can save time compared to fabricating one. I used a blank seal and cut out a hole slightly smaller than my shift rod with a thinwall brass tube. I placed the rubber seal over a wood block and struck the brass tube with a hammer; it cut out a nice round hole. Seals-It makes these grommets in various sized OD and pre-made holes as well as blank ones.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Seals-it-GS1003BL-Blank-Grommet-Seal-3-Inch,385671.html
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #502 on: March 02, 2020, 04:57:10 PM »
The firewall seal came from a U.K. company Trigger Handbrakes. They make a variety of sizes and types.
Just a squeeze.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #503 on: March 04, 2020, 04:35:09 AM »
Some pics to show the alternatives for actuating the fire bottle as discussed earlier.
Direct push cable (s205) vs. a cap with a lever arm (s207).

In my (to be revised) layout the nozzle end will point rearwards so cables travelling away from the nozzle pass through the suspension and need to U turn back to the cockpit.

One alternative would be to make a new lever and thereby pull towards the base of the bottle (mocked up with the supplied lever reversed in s206). The cable now runs straight to the cockpit.
Just a squeeze.

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #504 on: March 05, 2020, 08:45:47 PM »
John with the nozzle pointing rearward this being the top of the fire bottle means the bottom of the bottle that being the largest diameter is now pointing forward. Being a drop tank shape with the front of the tank being narrow due to the radius of the body wouldn't it be more space fitting efficient to place the nozzle end forward? Building my race car with the limited space in the nose of the drop tank shape by locating the nozzle forward has given me more room to locate other vital systems needed for the car in this  area. I now had additional room to locate forward weight that was needed to get the car balanced in reference to the CP and CG.
 Ronnieroadster
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #505 on: March 06, 2020, 05:28:24 PM »
The tanks are mounted above the prop shaft, I don?t have room up front. To be honest nozzle forward is better for packaging for a number of reasons but I will try and mount them base forward as described by others as a safer arrangement in the event of firing them during a frontal or parachute moment.

Nothing committed yet. Heck, everything has been made at least twice, I just hope I end up with the better of those two builds  :-D
Just a squeeze.

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #506 on: March 07, 2020, 03:33:18 PM »
The tanks are mounted above the prop shaft, I don?t have room up front. To be honest nozzle forward is better for packaging for a number of reasons but I will try and mount them base forward as described by others as a safer arrangement in the event of firing them during a frontal or parachute moment.

Nothing committed yet. Heck, everything has been made at least twice, I just hope I end up with the better of those two builds  :-D

Heck John if you only build the car at least twice your doing a lot better than everyone of us who have hand built a race car especially for the salt.  Lets see our cars first event was in 2010 so here we are ten years latter and today in the shop we were working on the body replacing areas not happy with also reworking the air inlet for the engine. But the fun continues with a redesign of the alternator mount and making bracket modifications to re-positioning one of the engine water pumps since the alternator is now in the way a bit.  And its only March. Two argon welding bottles and counting.
   Ronnieroadster

« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 03:36:41 PM by ronnieroadster »

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #507 on: March 08, 2020, 01:30:46 PM »
Twice is perhaps blinkered on my part (the body forgets pain) and just to get it on its feet - who knows after that.

Stainless - in another thread you referred to your duck billed release lever (harness) - who is the manufacturer please - I will need to get mine made again now I know that rotary does not work with non-double jointed elbows and the hip buckle is inexactly the right place for a masochist.

I have just got a green light from my steering committee to do a bit of a road trip with her in August and include a couple of days in Wendover - cant decide if I want to do a small RV, motels or what and if we go the motel route chances of a double bed in Wendover during SW on an ad hoc basis are slim.  Probably aim for early in the week so unlikely anyone will have gone home. I guess we could commute and see Wells (okay, that's only 10 mins) and SLC.
Just a squeeze.

Offline 7707

« Reply #508 on: March 08, 2020, 02:48:17 PM »
The rooms have just been released in Wendover. So get online and book.
Current class record holder (A/BFRMR) at 258.679mph and i?m Just trying to go fast!

Look for our Facebook page ...  Geoff Stilwell

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #509 on: March 08, 2020, 06:29:33 PM »
They must have moved Wells since I was there if it's only 10 min away now.