Author Topic: UK Lakester build G/GL  (Read 289720 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: UK Lakester build G/GL
« Reply #420 on: November 08, 2019, 12:39:49 PM »
John, it is a good idea to be fully dressed with all external padding in place for the driver fitting check.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #421 on: November 08, 2019, 12:48:16 PM »
That's another fantasy dashed.
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #422 on: November 08, 2019, 09:35:20 PM »
John your drivers cockpit looks excellent. Some thoughts for you for some additional comfort in my car i decided to add padding to the drivers seat i used one inch thick dense foam padding same material used in furniture its green in color here in the states I found the material in a fabric store since its also used in pillows.  From what I can see there looks like plenty of room for you when your fully suited up.  Since the engine is behind you a SFI 15 suit will be fine now if you decide to go with the 20 suit things will get tighter.
 Ronnieroadster
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #423 on: November 11, 2019, 09:50:15 AM »
Ronnie
Its actually quite tight at the hips and shoulders. I have an SFI20 suit. I ordered one from Simpson to pick up whilst passing through LA for work - it was not in stock so they sold me an XL SFI20 for 15 money.
I don't have a comfort issue with this driving position at all but I will have to have the belts altered as the buckle sits between hip and inner cockpit skin and that will bruise.

In fact, in an early bailout test, fully kitted, cinched in by myself, I could not undo the rotary buckle - the inner cockpit skin stopped my elbow going out far enough - it was fine without the panel work - I sat in the garage whimpering quietly wondering if my wife would ever notice I hadn't come in. I managed to loosen a shoulder strap but I don't think that would be appropriate for true bail out.

I will probably change the belts completely to a lever action buckle - they will be a couple of years old before they see tech anyway.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #424 on: November 12, 2019, 04:03:33 AM »
Plan C (rear shock mount) it is.

This is a mock up so the bell crank / lever end brackets are just sitting on the chassis rail and the other end is more or less in free space but hopefully the pics make sense of it. The shot without the spring shows the length will work cross chassis with the shock compressed around 1.5". I need to get some bolts that are the right length and make sure everything clears etc.

Plan A was the original assumption but in the flesh it didn't look right.
Plan B was a good compromise and looked balanced - i.e. the line of the shocks was aesthetic but the chassis mount was a bit compromised.
Plan C improves the bell crank to chassis location and potentially opens up the area over the prop shaft for the extinguisher bottles.
Just a squeeze.

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #425 on: November 12, 2019, 12:14:45 PM »
Ronnie
Its actually quite tight at the hips and shoulders. I have an SFI20 suit. I ordered one from Simpson to pick up whilst passing through LA for work - it was not in stock so they sold me an XL SFI20 for 15 money.
I don't have a comfort issue with this driving position at all but I will have to have the belts altered as the buckle sits between hip and inner cockpit skin and that will bruise.

In fact, in an early bailout test, fully kitted, cinched in by myself, I could not undo the rotary buckle - the inner cockpit skin stopped my elbow going out far enough - it was fine without the panel work - I sat in the garage whimpering quietly wondering if my wife would ever notice I hadn't come in. I managed to loosen a shoulder strap but I don't think that would be appropriate for true bail out.

I will probably change the belts completely to a lever action buckle - they will be a couple of years old before they see tech anyway.

John seeing your tight by the shoulders and hip I think you will find after a few runs those areas f the body will have some bruising and feelings of some pain. In my car I experience that along the lower areas of the body being so tight in the car once the belts are set.  About the belt release system no matter what type of belt you use when the good until date has been reached you will find the belts can be sent back to the manufacturer for whats called a reweb the cost is always less than a new set and I find each time I have had this done the belts are like new when returned.
 Ronnieroadster
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #426 on: November 13, 2019, 10:08:17 AM »
The rotary works well in door cars and cars with lots of elbow room... not so much in narrow cars... unless you have an extra joint between the elbow and wrist  :?
As said, you will have a few dents in you after a week of driving... the Bockscar bruised every driver including our thinnest, Pork Pie.  You won't want padding unless you are a lot smaller than the car... every bit of room helps.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #427 on: November 13, 2019, 11:06:15 AM »
... every bit of room helps.

Amen to that.

John

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #428 on: November 13, 2019, 11:06:37 AM »
We fixed a 3-inch piece of 1-inch wood dowel to the end of the latch "tab".  It's much easier to find when you want to pull it.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #429 on: November 13, 2019, 11:39:40 AM »
Brilliant stuff - if I get a weeks driving and there are a few bruises to show for it I will be over the moon. My big fear is spending time in the pits. It is a long way from the UK.

The car is not larger than me - I have my own padding. I do bruise rather easily though so that could be a picture at the end of the week.
Just a squeeze.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #430 on: November 19, 2019, 08:18:59 AM »
You know how sometimes you spend a few hours (or in my case elapsed CD's) in the garage and you come away feeling very pleased with yourself?

Saturday; I bolted up the rocker arms (for the rear shocks) on the bench with brackets etc. and spent ages measuring and aligning until I was ready to spot them onto the chassis rails. Brilliant; coffee, a walk with the dog, happy boy. Out I go Sunday morning to disassemble them and add fillets etc. to brace the loads and you guessed it, all the bolt heads were facing 'inwards' and could not be extracted past the assembly next to them so some of the mounting tabs had to come off.  :cry:

I don't have the wheels mounted yet but pivoting on / near the axle end flanges with one wheel bump of 1.6" gives me 2" of shock stroke. That's not the full track width so the ratio will reduce but I am pleased I am working the shock in a meaningful way. Spring load and rate will be interesting too.
Just a squeeze.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #431 on: November 19, 2019, 12:54:43 PM »
That's one of the main reasons we use little tiny TIG tacks!  :-D :-D :-D

Keep up the nice work.

Pete

Offline bones

« Reply #432 on: November 20, 2019, 11:43:48 PM »
I can't  tell from the pictures, but the shock linkage looks like it will go past 90deg when the shock
     is fully compressed.
    Bones

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #433 on: November 21, 2019, 09:42:47 AM »
Bones - thanks for the observation / catch; I didn't notice the angles  when I was manually activating the rockers but I will do some meaningful evaluation once I have the new rear axle tubes and wheels in place to make sure nothing binds or over centres etc.

I was hoping to have the rear axle back by now - all I can do for now is make all the rear brackets in anticipation and move on to somewhere else. I'll come back to this in the future. I don't want to start the front end until I have learned all the lessons from the rear end (no double entendre intended).
Just a squeeze.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #434 on: December 02, 2019, 09:47:04 AM »
I did a manual check - 90 degrees at the bump stop on the shock but that wont be reached in action.

I have mocked up all the axle brackets but am still waiting for the new rear axle to tack them to so I started on  the rearward structure (supporting the chute, push bar etc).

To get the main rearward central tube aligned I started by aligning the dummy axle as much as I could so I could take triangulated measurements from that but for the life of me I couldn't centre it, then realised the Watts linkage was mocked up.  :oops: At least I know it works.

I ended up with plumb lines, string lines and a laser level. I havent reverse measured it to the axle yet (fear of what I might find probably).
Just a squeeze.