Author Topic: UK Lakester build G/GL  (Read 289709 times)

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
Re: UK Lakester build G/GL
« Reply #375 on: August 27, 2019, 11:23:56 AM »
I'd be screwed right now if I didn't live in the US as I don't have the use of my left hand.

Shoot, Sid, that has to restrict Fosters consumption.

John

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #376 on: August 27, 2019, 10:37:24 PM »
Nah, I'm not a drinker John. The shifter in my liner is also on the left but the front drive shaft takes up the right side.
  Sid.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #377 on: August 28, 2019, 01:19:02 PM »
Sorry to hear of your injury Sid: keep that man away from sharp objects and cutting implements.

John; I made an enquiry a while ago as to why so many single seater race cars have the shifter on the right as I thought there might be some convention involved.

I was told it was related to the Hewland box design only.
My exhaust is on the right and might be in the way of a R.H. shifter but in truth I am more used to driving on the correct side of the road, manual gear box shifter is therefore on the left.

You guys all drive autos anyway so you would have to learn a manual shift whichever side it was on? Insert disparaging remarks about the mother country, its colonies, and some other enlightened countries (all RHD) here.

I think the French for left sums it up nicely: gauche.  :evil:

On a more serious note: radiator top hose is inches above the head, photo perspective doesn?t make that clear.
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #378 on: September 08, 2019, 03:29:16 PM »
Question about suspension please: what is a reasonable assumption regarding bump and rebound at the wheels?

Is one to one and a half inch of wheel travel in bump reasonable or excessive?

It?s  been a full weekend (8 hours a day) of DIY so all I can do is think about the next phase of the Lakester.

John
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #379 on: September 08, 2019, 04:44:34 PM »
Question about suspension please: what is a reasonable assumption regarding bump and rebound at the wheels?

Is one to one and a half inch of wheel travel in bump reasonable or excessive?

It?s  been a full weekend (8 hours a day) of DIY so all I can do is think about the next phase of the Lakester.

John

John on my car before i went to rigid in the front I had 1 inch of travel. This worked well on the runways we ran on which had various areas with surface transitions as well as on the salt.  The rear suspension has no more than 1-1/2 inches travel. I never experienced any suspension issues related to bump or rebound with the above listed movements. 
 Ronnieroadster
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #380 on: September 08, 2019, 04:51:37 PM »
Thanks RR
Just a squeeze.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #381 on: October 01, 2019, 11:06:17 AM »
A little bit of progress at the rear.

The axle is an old one being used for location and packaging purposes.
The remote oil takeoff solved the problem of the oil filter poking through the chassis rail.

4 bar / rear suspension mock-up is evolving; the rear cover on the axle is a beefy casting that has watts linkage mounts integral - the watts linkage rocker is not in the pic - that's a brass block while I was weighing up watts linkage proper vs. sliding block - watts is ahead with link arms around 6 or 7" each side - I was swayed to watts at SW seeing how successful cars can have really short link arms - it was that length that was worrying me.
Just a squeeze.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #382 on: October 01, 2019, 11:07:07 AM »
A couple more.
Just a squeeze.

Offline salt27

« Reply #383 on: October 01, 2019, 01:32:42 PM »
John, your mockup differential looks as if it's already visited Bonneville.   :wink:

Nice work,  Don

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #384 on: October 01, 2019, 02:27:56 PM »
Hey John. Your cage gussets need to have an open corner, weld the tubing then put the gusset in. (page 36) It also looks like you might need to turn up your welder for more penetration with tacking so you won't have to come back & grind them out on the final weld.
Was this year your first to the salt?
  Sid.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #385 on: October 02, 2019, 11:37:16 AM »
Thanks Don - I had not thought of it like that - pre-rusted - saves time.

Sid - welder - noted, thanks - I will be paying someone to weld up the tubes properly (the roll structure forward of the firewall is already tigged). Rear structure is all my work to date. The shoulder gussets do have the corners sliced off, maybe not enough.

We were spectators on the salt in 2017 and guests (in Geoff 7707 pits) in 2019 and used this years trip to do a lot of research as we now have a much better idea of what we don't know.
Just a squeeze.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #386 on: October 02, 2019, 12:17:51 PM »
Fair enough Mate, sounds like you're on it!
  Sid.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #387 on: October 14, 2019, 07:48:56 AM »
Watt's that on the back of the axle?  :-D
Just a squeeze.

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #388 on: October 14, 2019, 01:50:12 PM »
Nicely done, John. What are your plans for the front axle?

BTW, I failed to answer a question you asked about bump values. I run a low ground clearance car (2?) so anything over .500? of bump travel is excessive.

BTW(2), I am replacing my 1:1 damper arrangement, with a rocker. I can now easily move from 2:1 to a 1.5:1 ratio. This should give me more flexibility without changing spring rate. It cleans things up a great deal too.

John
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 05:48:37 PM by ggl205 »

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #389 on: October 15, 2019, 05:39:22 AM »
Thanks John
I am ignoring the front axle and hoping for a light bulb moment - triangulating the lower 4 bars vs. sliding block  :|

I played around with the shock / spring rocker and went for 1.66 on the rear as the arc traveled translated into just shy of 1.5:1 but I suspect the angle of the push rod off the axle to the rocker and the starting angle of the rocker also makes a difference here. I am just waiting for the coil overs to arrive so I can mock that part up properly.
The rocker: I want to take the input (push rod) from outside the rear chassis tube but translate to the output (shock) inside the chassis rail - I could go on a diagonal over the chassis tube through a 'traditional' rocker but am experimenting on using a short shaft with arms each end - one end splined to allow for altering the relative arm angles - probably a rabbit hole.

My rear axle is English Ford Capri and the new pigs head and axle tubes should be here soon with bespoke axle end flanges and two piece half shafts (wheel flange is splined and bolted so can be altered) to mount a chevy brake back plate, for 5 stud wheels.
Just a squeeze.