Author Topic: UK Lakester build G/GL  (Read 289665 times)

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
Re: UK Lakester build G/GL
« Reply #315 on: April 17, 2019, 11:26:36 AM »
John, I am looking for a reasonably priced "White Rhino", all aluminum case for my Mk9. How plentiful are they in the UK?

John

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #316 on: April 17, 2019, 05:19:02 PM »
John
No idea what that is but guessing it’s stronger than standard: let me speak to the race car engineer who did my roll structure welding; he will know what you are referring to and where they hide. Doesn’t sound like a hand luggage kinda thing but maybe with a strappy handle it could double as a small suitcase  :evil:
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline ggl205

« Reply #317 on: April 17, 2019, 07:53:08 PM »
John, I should have better explained. Rhino cases were used by FF and FC cars to give added strength to the Hewland transaxle. It was a more robust aluminum/magnesium case and worked well. When off road vehicles began mating higher horsepower engines to VW Transaxles, an even stronger case was needed. VW responded by making an even more robust all aluminum case with a cross bolt that tied both side covers together. They sell these cases here in the states but are a little pricey. As Hewland is much more common and available in the UK, I was hoping to find one in your back yard.

John

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #318 on: April 18, 2019, 03:30:51 AM »
John
Gary is going to speak to his gearbox man for me / you.

I Googlised it, sorry, I should translate that; Googlized it, and found a new one in the U.K. but then saw the small print as Sold. It wasn’t exactly a popular search item.

I suspect it probably helps to know someone who knows someone and if Gary doesn’t know someone in the U.K. car racing world they are most likely someone’s imaginary friend.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

Offline ggl205

« Reply #319 on: April 18, 2019, 09:11:53 AM »
Thanks, John.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #320 on: April 18, 2019, 09:23:23 AM »
I was listening to a radio program today and they were talking about the use of Z vs. S in English words as apparantly the Prince of Wales (he of tradition) incorporates the Z as, for many english words, dating back several centuries, the Z was predominant.

Apologies; it looks like Googlize is probably the correct 17th century spelling after all.

On a more serious note, I just received some Borgeson steering UJs compatible at one end with the Clear Steer and the Woodward rack at the other (the rack that Rex is keeping warm for me) and a 3/4" DD collapsible column to connect them per Stainless' comments ages agio about my column so thats another thing sorted. I love getting parcels, even if I already know whats in them.

The only teeny fly in the engine oil is the DD shaft - it is slotted to positivelly engage the slide so I cant nick a bit off each end to remake my shifter - I will have to get a whole new one - ouch.
Just a squeeze.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #321 on: April 18, 2019, 11:11:29 AM »
That rubber seal needs removed, then you can see what you are working with... it will just trap salt in there anyway and cause issues.   I shorten and lengthen those things all the time.... 
You only need as much of the slide as you need.. plus a little  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline ggl205

« Reply #322 on: April 18, 2019, 11:31:52 AM »
Stainless, I think John is using this DD shaft for shift linkage. Are you thinking steering linkage?

John

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #323 on: April 18, 2019, 12:45:41 PM »
Stainless put me onto it for the steering linkage but I think it is also spot on for the cockpit endd (v3.0) of my shift linkage too. I will be using two of them.

And the point is noted - you don't want salt getting into your shaft.
Just a squeeze.

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #324 on: April 18, 2019, 01:04:08 PM »
Apologies; it looks like Googlize is probably the correct 17th century spelling after all.

Zhorten zteering zhaft linkage?  :? Iz that zo?  :x :-D
Pleaze zay zomething about thiz Ztainlezz!  :cheers:
The Black Prinz ztrikez again!  :-o
Thiz iz zo zilly! :-D
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #325 on: April 18, 2019, 01:42:52 PM »
Woody, az you probably know zometimes you can buy both zides in 18 inch lengthz.... cut and pazte az required  :cheers:

Yes I know he is looking at it for shift linkage... you still might find a couple of Morse cables would be easier  Rev 12?
Stainless

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #326 on: April 18, 2019, 01:54:11 PM »
John
 Something to remember when you install the steering shaft be sure it has a positive stop at the top as per the rules. If the unthinkable happens the shaft will not try to penetrate the driver causing bad things.
 Ronnieroadster
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #327 on: April 19, 2019, 05:10:20 AM »
RR
Good call. I am using a Clear Steer so my steering wheel is about 16” above the steering column shaft which will be under the floor. Having said that it’s good to constantly rethink the design as I am sure when, deep in a rabbit hole, I have missed something obvious.
John
Just a squeeze.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #328 on: April 19, 2019, 11:02:44 AM »
They have pills for that..... ask Alice  :roll:  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #329 on: April 19, 2019, 11:59:31 AM »
And the ones that mother gives you, don’t do anything at all  :cheers:
Just a squeeze.