Author Topic: UK Lakester build G/GL  (Read 289642 times)

Offline kiwi belly tank

Re: UK Lakester build G/GL
« Reply #255 on: March 08, 2019, 10:21:53 AM »
Don't read anything more into a rule than is stated. 4 return springs is 2 more than required. Fuel line past the flywheel is a given. Throttle stops are built into the throttle bodies so do an adjustable at the pedal so you don't stretch the cable & the pedal needs a toe strap.
Your wiring diagram shows chute switch, it must also have manual overide. 3-N.
  Sid.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #256 on: March 08, 2019, 11:39:44 AM »
Stainless, Sid
Thank you. That gives me direction for the next few jobs. I haven't thought about exhaust routing but the hot bottle comment brought me up short - I need to consider that.
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #257 on: March 18, 2019, 07:32:21 AM »
I was waiting for the front axle to come back so I did a bit more on cockpit packaging. This is the drivers eye view of the progress; battery kill switch and starter button partly obscured by the wheel.

The other swicthes will be ignition, fuel pump, probably an arming switch for the chute switch (so the momentary push button doesn't get knocked on accidentally while wriggling in and out) and a spare - at this stage dash illumination (backlit needle on the gauges etc) but a more practical use will probably make itself known.

Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #258 on: March 18, 2019, 07:39:58 AM »
I picked the front axle up on Friday from Gary who welded it up for me.

Time for 4 bars and something to stop it moving laterally - at this stage my personal favourite remains a sliding block (vs. watts and panhard).

The Woodward steering rack is currently in a box in the USA and will be coming home with me after SW2019.

As an aside I still haven't heard that Prowerks are back in the Stiletto Steering business - that's nearly a year they have been retooling and making components ready to assemble for stock!

Hence the spindles from Strange and the rack from Rex - I guess storage fees are measured in beers(?).

Just a squeeze.

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #259 on: March 18, 2019, 09:27:48 AM »
John:

If you go with a Stiletto steering rack, consider a modification Podunk is doing to mine. It strengthens the steering arm considerably and does away with those four small bolts that secure that arm. I will post images as soon as I get them back from Terry.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #260 on: March 18, 2019, 02:21:06 PM »
John, If you are looking to strengthen the steering arms on your Anglia spindles, buy a second set of steering arms and bolt them to the bottom of the spindle, a long bolt with some proper spacers will allow you to mount the rack and steering links behind the axle itself and be twice a strong.

I really like your idea of a sliding block for the lateral location, very simple and effective.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline ggl205

« Reply #261 on: March 18, 2019, 03:43:46 PM »
Rex, I confused steering rack with a spindle. I was speaking to the Strange spindles. Tom Burkland suggested the same thing (use an upper and lower steering arm) and that would give me double shear in the offing. But when you see the modification, I think you will agree that it is more than adequate.

John

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #262 on: March 19, 2019, 05:07:24 AM »
Rex, John

Interesting you should refer to a double steering arm - I was having that conversation on Friday with Gary who welded the axle for me.  :cheers:

I would like to make the steering arms so that they contour to meet at the steering tie rod heim joint in a horizontal plane, hiding behind the axle (in aero terms). Unfortunately that means finding someone with a mill to put the cruciform grooves in the steering arms where they bolt to the top (and bottom) of the spindle kingpin housings.

Whisper this ....making the steering arms from scratch also allows the opportunity to involve Mr Ackermann but I dont want to open that can of wrigglies again.  :dhorse:

The more I ponder it the more I like it.
Just a squeeze.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #263 on: April 01, 2019, 06:38:06 AM »
A question aimed (primarily) at UK builders.....

Does anyone know how to buy Goodyear Frontrunners in the UK without silly shiping costs on top, or:
Does anyone have a simple means of bringing parts from the USA that involves a container, or part thereof, that is easy to get some items added to? Accepting customs duties will be added so expecting to pay around 30% on top of the purchase price.

A lot of what I have acquired in the US has been shipped to work colleagues and travelled back with me on business trips but I am not travelling as much as I used to and I have just been quoted €850 for freight for four Goodyear Frontrunners via Goodyear Motorsport, Germany. They appear to be the only 'EU' distributor. Thats actually more than the tyres will cost to buy from them (which is 30% more than the US Dollar price to start with) - the cost is airfreight, oh, and plus another €60 from Germany to me in the UK. They only bring in one container a year and I missed it.
Just a squeeze.

Offline ggl205

« Reply #264 on: April 01, 2019, 08:40:01 AM »
John:

If you can use domestic tires of the same size as race rubber, consider using them for your build/shipping and mount up race tires after arriving to the US. Even if you plan on high speed testing in the UK, domestic road tires should fill the need.

John

Offline Podunk

« Reply #265 on: April 01, 2019, 10:41:34 AM »
Are your wheels 15" or 17" ?

Terry

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #266 on: April 01, 2019, 10:43:31 AM »
Thanks John
Good call - I went down another rabbit hole didn't I - and all you get are dead rabbits down there.

Terry
15" rears.

I have second hand rubber on the fronts already. I am using Chev stud pattern on the rear so worst case would be to use a 16 or 17 rim size that gives me the same diameter (for ground clearance) for local testing. I will probably use a road derived diff ratio initially as well to avoid a push start for testing......

.....oh hello Officer, yes I am aware it is 3 am, no I did not expect to see you here either, yes the lighting on my Bonneville Lakester is indeed off my wifes bicycle, no I do not have road tax or an MOT, yes I was aware the speed limit on the M1 motorway is 70mph, yes I have a GPS speedo that was reading 150 mph so your equipment is quite accurate. No, I dont see a problem with this conversation. What do you mean, you have never heard of Bonneville? Why are you reaching for your handcuffs, I am not that sort of guy.
Just a squeeze.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #267 on: April 01, 2019, 10:56:06 AM »
".....oh hello Officer, yes I am aware it is 3 am, no I did not expect to see you here either, yes the lighting on my Bonneville Lakester is indeed off my wifes bicycle, no I do not have road tax or an MOT, yes I was aware the speed limit on the M1 motorway is 70mph, yes I have a GPS speedo that was reading 150 mph so your equipment is quite accurate. No, I dont see a problem with this conversation. What do you mean, you have never heard of Bonneville?"

Yet another wonderful description - and one that many of us have played through our own noggins.  Best of all, though, is your stinger:

"Why are you reaching for your handcuffs, I am not that sort of guy."

Delightful.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Podunk

« Reply #268 on: April 01, 2019, 04:41:00 PM »
Careful of the 17" Top Fuel front runners they are motorcycle dimensions. The motorcycle bead seat is .108" smaller in diameter than the automobile. Contact Jason @ Goodyear Racing Tires.

Terry

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #269 on: April 02, 2019, 08:51:37 AM »
Terry, thanks for the heads up.

The universe answered me with a drag car outfit (UK based) that brings parts in from the USA and can help with the tyres at a reasonable rate but I need to do a quick doubletake per your comment. The wheels are Centreline ConvoPros and although not manufactured anymore I purchased a new set of wheels with secondhand Goodyears on them (a teams spare wheels, they were selling up).

I have also seen these wheels come up periodically on US fleabay with the 22 x 2.5 x 17 Goodyears mounted on them so had assumed the wheels and tires are compatible.

I will speak to Goodyear before I order.

:cheers: John
Just a squeeze.