Author Topic: UK Lakester build G/GL  (Read 289766 times)

Offline Lemming Motors

Re: UK Lakester build G/GL
« Reply #240 on: March 04, 2019, 04:31:09 AM »
Sid re Aoteoroa. The land was there but not a single cloud in two weeks. Auckland, Hamilton, Tauranga and Nelson. Given that we were with family and not some resort with air con, a pool and a bar it was tough going from the UK winter to 30 degree (C) plus heat - not so much a holiday as an exercise in tolerance.

Rex  :cheers:  all safety related elements are going to be finished by pro welder persons and the blast shield should finally be off to them this week. The physical evidence of my welding rarely matches my expectations; there seems to be a lot of art involved and I did biochemistry and microbiology - that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

I experimented with the open area around the clutch slave cylinder and have opted for something that bolts in place to close it out. One experient resulted in the lower half of the shield being, er, unremoveable. I think the entire shield should be painted some bright safety colour considering how long the bothersome thing has taken me. Having said that; if it never gets tested I won't be disappointed.
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #241 on: March 04, 2019, 10:34:13 AM »
A fish plate lap welded to the outside of the box across each butt weld would give a lot of added energy absorption strength.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #242 on: March 04, 2019, 10:41:44 AM »
Those ruddy great gaps between plates in the pictures are actually V notches rather than really poor alignment. A couple of the guys at my local engineering firm (steel, welding, crane services etc.) have built and raced cars in various forms so I assume they will understnd what is needed.

Fish plates noted - I am assuming the reference is an engineering one and not to my design smelling of aquatic creatures  :-D
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #243 on: March 04, 2019, 10:55:41 AM »
You've put a lot more attention to detail into this than I've seen on most other home built shields Mate! Yagunna (one word) have them weld it while is still bolted up?
  Sid.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #244 on: March 04, 2019, 10:00:58 PM »
A fish plate is shown on the attached scientific type drawing.  They are used a lot for adding strength to beam and girder splices, pipe joints, and other highway and bridge maintenance repairs.  They work good for other things, too.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #245 on: March 05, 2019, 12:25:07 AM »
I think that would be over kill & it would sure ugly the $hit out of it!
  Sid.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #246 on: March 05, 2019, 03:39:52 AM »
The two halves are bolted together and off to the welders today.

I will explain the functional requirments (like not distorting and containing schrapnel) and see what they say about finishing it.

My 'engineering' doesn't need any help in the ugly department  :-D

Thanks again for the feedback and input.
I have decided to paint it safety yellow along with things like the prop shaft hoop - it will make them easier to scrute in the crowded confines.  :cheers:

Next job .....
Just a squeeze.

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #247 on: March 05, 2019, 09:12:20 PM »
The two halves are bolted together and off to the welders today.

I will explain the functional requirments (like not distorting and containing schrapnel) and see what they say about finishing it.

My 'engineering' doesn't need any help in the ugly department  :-D

Thanks again for the feedback and input.
I have decided to paint it safety yellow along with things like the prop shaft hoop - it will make them easier to scrute in the crowded confines.  :cheers:

Next job .....

Well one problem we have at times relates to telling a vendor were going to race this thing and would like you to do the welding so its safe. Vendor says im not going to do it now as the fear of liability sets in!  So we just do it ourselfs more back yard Hotrodding. I like the safety yellow idea the tech inspector will see the shield easily.  If your heading to Speedweek stop by our pit and say hi.     :cheers:
 Ronnieroadster
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 09:14:04 PM by ronnieroadster »
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #248 on: March 06, 2019, 07:00:50 AM »
RR: I am lucky in the UK - litigation hasn't taken hold (much). We had ambulance chasing injury lawyer ads for a while but clearly the uptake wasn't great - most have disappeared.

I will be at SW2019 - all booked and ready to go.

Update on the grenade shield - it was welded up same day.
I will be thoroughly peeved if my clutch or flywheel try and recreate the big bang as that might hurt my nice shield. It weighs 35 lb (16 kg in new money) which is a lot of steel and weld but the box does have a lot of bellhousing to cover.
Just a squeeze.

Offline handyguy

• BANTAM FOURPLAY
« Reply #249 on: March 06, 2019, 08:46:37 AM »
I hope to check this awesome build in inspection at the SALT ..  STEVE

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #250 on: March 06, 2019, 09:29:17 AM »
Thanks Steve.
I am coming to SW2019 with hand luggage only. Someone has kindly let me crew with them all week this year (i.e. make the tea) so that I can go from super rookie to just rookie by experiencing tech, start procedures, record runs and etc. from the inside so to speak.

I doubt the car will make SW2020 but definately shooting for SW2021.

I am hoping to run it next year with street gearing on Pendine Sands in Wales and on disused runways at speed events in the UK to shake things down.

My proposal is to initially run with no bodywork to sort mechanical gremlins, sneaking up from slow speeds to test handling and then with body work on to see if aero (at lowish 3 figure speeds) comes into play - i.e. a tendency to fly or burrow compared to being naked. Not me though - I will be wearing the most expensive suit I have ever bought in my life - heck - I hired the one I got married in so this is way more serious (don't tell my steering committee I said that)!
Just a squeeze.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #251 on: March 06, 2019, 11:11:50 AM »
This is how the fish plate does its job.  Something banks into the blast shield having weight and speed.  The shield suddenly decelerates it with massive energy transfer from the moving piece to the static shield.  The shield is very good at resisting this without rupture if there are no defects in the metal.  Stress concentrates at a defect and this is the weak point where it will break.  Once the break occurs the stresses are concentrated at the end of the tear and it takes relatively little energy to rip the metal apart.

Welds are assumed to have some sort of imperfections and they are linear.  Butt welds are the worst for this.  This is the perfect place for stress concentration and tearing.  The fish plate makes the tear go from a butt to a lap joint, makes the tear turn 90 degrees, and increases the length of the tear path.  This greatly increases the amount of energy the shield can absorb before it comes apart.

A lot of folks do not know this.  Ugly is a matter of perspective.  These plates look good to the welder who considers liability for the work and an inspector that knows about metallurgy and engineering. 

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #252 on: March 08, 2019, 03:55:31 AM »
Next steps - some rookie questions;

Rule 3.I
Regarding fuel lines / clutch flywheel / run through heavy steel tubing got me over thinking that area.
Did I miss that in the rule book?
What about extinguisher bottles that I had planned to mount alongside the transmission? I guess if they are pierced that kindoff sorts out any fire risk from the explosion anyway and the discharge is quicker than the any driver reaction time; bangsquirt  :-o

Rule 3.J
One of the next jobs is finishing the throttle cable at the ITB end (as the cable run needs to be sorted so other items to be added accommodate it). My ITBs have return springs on the external spindle, one per ITB so thats 4 return springs pulling them closed - these springs are wrapped around the spindle shaft (rather than a linear pull along the line of the throttle cable). Does anyone know if that setup is acceptable or do I still need to add two throttle cable linkage springs? I ask because if thats a yes the cable mount needs to accommodate them. I also need to configure a positive stop somewhere - is doing that at the pedal end a better option?

Just a squeeze.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #253 on: March 08, 2019, 09:59:04 AM »
I had a very productive lunch break - just starting to think about what the circuit needs are. This is what going in to the office everyday is all about right - Lakester planning and design.
Just a squeeze.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #254 on: March 08, 2019, 10:12:00 AM »
Throttle springs... the throttle needs to snap shut.... we have an additional spring and the stop on the pedal... even though the TB has a stop and springs... so the throttle is hard to press and snaps shut.

If a Fuel line runs next to your clutch and flywheel then run it through a steel tube... left over cage material works for that.  No rules regarding fire bottles, but if they are in an area that is really hot they could go off.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O