Author Topic: UK Lakester build G/GL  (Read 289701 times)

Offline bearingburner

Re: UK Lakester build G/GL
« Reply #225 on: January 17, 2019, 06:48:36 PM »
Make sure you can get it apart easily to expect or change clutch, transmission, engine. Run any lines in separate 1/4" tubing shields.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #226 on: January 18, 2019, 09:39:11 AM »
Stan and others - points noted, thank you - thats why I like the opportunity afforded by this Forum - it is so easy to see a solution and make assumptions.
The gearbox is actually rather odd - it looks like it has a really long bellhousing but in fact there is some gearbox gubbins forward of what looks like the start of the transmission case ring of bolts and gasket cement within the bell housing space.

With that said I will more thoroughly consider the possibility of bits of flywheel whizzing around in other than lateral directions and see if they could sneak out; given the inertia involved 'sneak' might be slightly understated.

At this stage the shield can be slid off rearwards but I am aware some are made in two parts so they can be taken off easily and if there is sme infill in places that might require a different disassembly approach. That is a serious consideration and one of the reasons it is only tacked. I have never needed one before so its new and exciting; if cutting 1/4" steel into odd shapes whilst considering the effect of random bits letting go can be considered exciting.

I just received an email that the new ITBs shipped today; proper excitiment - new parts.  8-)
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #227 on: January 19, 2019, 12:42:59 AM »
Per the rule book & the brain book of logic, don't use a cast iron flywheel & you shouldn't have anything trying to leave.
  Sid.

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #228 on: January 21, 2019, 08:05:19 PM »
A little that I learned from SFI-required clutch cans in my blown-alky puller-

Round shape best contains any clutch remnants, especially those still rotating with the crank. A major enhancement was the required addition of a 1/8" chrome-moly liner- which can spin within the can after shearing a small 1/4" bolt. The point of all this is to avoid the bellhousing and/or frame being "sawed in two".

As for access- a Lakewood style inspection cover (nominal 4"x8" oval on the top side of the tapered section) is safe (bolted every 2") and doesn't compromise the smooth inside of the can (extra 1/4" piece welded to the cover's inside). This provides plenty of room to inspect everything, change clutch weights, etc.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #229 on: January 22, 2019, 03:58:23 AM »
Sid, Jack

I am hoping that an OEM flywheel and clutch that was behind a vehicle with a 9k red line and a 3 year warranty will be 'happy' but I cant find the 'crossing your fingers' section in the rule book  :-D All of the experience / inputs are helping me build a better / safer Lakester.

This pretty part was shipped to my office - not a lot of work done for half an hour with this on my desk.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #230 on: January 22, 2019, 07:18:00 AM »
That sucks Mate! Pun intended. :-D
I'm building 1" spacers out of composite to go under the intake manifold right now but I'm not getting very much done, work keeps getting in the way. Here it is 5am & I just got home from another breakdown out in Wyoming.
I'll sleep till midday & start again.
  Sid.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #231 on: January 23, 2019, 06:00:10 AM »
Hi Sid

I used to work shift and on-call at Palmy hospital (labs) when I was training but for me it was simply stagger out of bed, jump in the taxis they sent and run assays on autopilot, stagger out, fall into a taxis, get home, kick the cat (metaphorically) if it was the third or fourth that night, go to bed.

I suspect your call-outs involve a road trip from time to time so you have my admiration; that is one tough gig.

John

Oh: instrument pod is a work in progress (its fibreglass over mdf) but here is another pretty bit (beauty being in the eye of the builder and all that). yes, I nknow, I should be building suspension and finishing the chassis rear of the firewall but a little detour to finish something that makes it look like a vehicle is encouraging.
Just a squeeze.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #232 on: January 23, 2019, 11:47:42 AM »
Wyoming jobs can be a bit of a drive, Jackson Hole is three hours in good weather & you've gotta be tough to do road service here in the winter.
  Sid.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #233 on: January 23, 2019, 12:12:27 PM »
Sid, be glad you are not a Park Ranger in the Wind River Range this time of year!

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #234 on: January 23, 2019, 12:26:31 PM »
30 years ago I lived about 10 miles from where Sid lives. It's one cold sumbitch.  :-P
Wayno

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #235 on: January 23, 2019, 02:34:34 PM »
But its called Hot Springs. Surely that is a warm place?
Just a squeeze.

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #236 on: January 23, 2019, 03:48:21 PM »
Sooner or later you have to get out of the water.  :roll:  :cheers:
Wayno

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #237 on: March 01, 2019, 03:30:40 AM »
Slow progress on the scattershield - visiting family in NZ and an offsite meeting for work have taken me away from home for a few weeks. Eight hours a weekend on the river and canal training for the Easter race doesn't leave much time either.

Having taken on board the scary image of 'bits' pinging about (thanks Sid, not sure if it was that or the cheese giving me nightmares) I have the shield extending beyond the front face of the gear sack and closed it down to just a few mm all round front and rear.
Just a squeeze.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #238 on: March 03, 2019, 01:07:56 PM »
Scatter is an appropriate word Mate! :-D Grenade is another word that fits.
So, the long white cloud's still there?
  Sid.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #239 on: March 03, 2019, 03:16:58 PM »
Nice looking shield! Now the real test is making sure that the welding is absolutely first rate. Grind away all rolling slag on the plates, clean, degrease and probably needs to be a multi pass weld and you may want to do an inside pass also. Again looking good!!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.