Author Topic: UK Lakester build G/GL  (Read 289679 times)

Offline Lemming Motors

Re: UK Lakester build G/GL
« Reply #120 on: September 26, 2018, 05:35:50 AM »
Thanks John, I appreciate the suggestions and warnings.

At this stage the only thing in the cockpit with me are the brake and clutch master cylinders. Nothing forward of the foot box structure. Of course, when I start to squeeze things in rear of the firewall the space may dictate different solutions than those in my head.

Finalised the inner lining last night and bolted the harnesses in. Strapped myself in as tight as I could and made vroom vroom noises. Couldn't actually reach the turnbuckle to release the harnesses - my hand didn't quite turn back on itself far enough with the shoulders so completely isolated and no way of nudging an elbow out the side now the sides are in.
I 'lay' there with the vroom vroom noises gently turning to a whimper. Apart from the obvious bail out fail I was wondering how long it would be before Tracey came out to say it was time to come inside - she doesn't mind me spending time with the mistress in the garage but a bit at a time, not hours on end.
Then I clocked that the shoulder harnesses could be easily slackened off in that position (only needed to slacken one) and that freed my arm movement to allow my hand to do the buckle - a 2 second release process so that should be fine (?).

A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #121 on: September 26, 2018, 10:08:36 AM »
Tight cockpits have that issue with the buckles that require you to turn a knob... If you could loosen your own shoulder harness you weren't in tight enough, were you wearing your arm restraints as well?  My suggestion is get a duckbill release for your 7 point harness. 
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #122 on: September 26, 2018, 10:23:26 AM »
I wasn't wearing the wrist restraints. I was on my own after all. That would have been kinky.

Have a friend from NZ visiting this weekend - he has ambitions to drive Squeeze of Lemming (we went to SW as spectators last year) so we'll explore how tight we can strap in (with wrists) and see what happens.

One step forward....and he trips over.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #123 on: October 02, 2018, 11:37:21 AM »
The big day arrived and mini Squeeze of Lemming went into the Lammas Way wind tunnel.

Initial trials gave a measurable drag force (on a set of jewellers scales) but reproducibility was poor and I had to conclude that I learned a lot about wind tunnels and aero by researching and building this but absolutely nothing useful for the build in terms of data - I was hoping (okay, maybe too much hope involved) to learn something about wheel track - I did not.

I think I made the test area too large for the amount of suck available, or maybe the model is simply too slippery.  :-D
Just a squeeze.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #124 on: October 02, 2018, 11:38:34 AM »
At least the throttle pedal and push / pull cable appear to be working as they should.
Just a squeeze.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #125 on: October 02, 2018, 03:58:42 PM »
Went to an air-show over the weekend (IWM Flying Legends) at Duxford UK. Everything on the flight line got into the air (B17, 11 Spitfires, a DC3 and a DC6, Focke Wulfe's, Hurricanes, Grumman cats, Curtis -Wright Hawk, War-Hawk, P40, B-25 Mitchell's, Corsair and etc.). Then they did a display with an F35 which ripped the sky apart.

Towards the end of the day a P-38 Lightning came out to play and, with the association to the original tankers, I freely admit to getting a little excited seeing one in the flesh.

Not many in the air this side of the pond these days - it had come over from Austria.

Unfortunately there were no belly tanks 'lying around' in the museum or workshop sections (all open to the public) so I didn't get a chance to see if one would fit on my roof bars.

When I was involved in online combat flying (Microsoft Combat Flight Sim 2) there was a site called Duxford Legends where you could download 3rd party planes. The home page had audio of a Spitfire passing low overhead at full tilt.
The first time you hear it it scares the Subaru out of you. My old mate Errol (79) at the time fell off his chair. I felt really bad about suggesting he turn the sound up to full volume. :oops:

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #126 on: October 05, 2018, 09:35:16 AM »
Making vroom vroom noises.
Just a squeeze.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #127 on: October 05, 2018, 10:13:33 PM »
John, That looks great! I really like the raised forward floor, it looks comfortable and your legs are well protected and lots of options for the body shape. The whole thing lookis like a great foundation for a great lakester. Keep it up.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #128 on: October 05, 2018, 11:24:42 PM »
The A2 wind tunnel in North Carolina is set up for testing vehicles sent to them from remote places with video links to their distant  customers.  The customers do not need to be there for the testing.  That might be an option.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #129 on: October 06, 2018, 05:10:30 PM »
Sir Lemmings
on the 126 post just where are you planning on the frt axle passing through?
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #130 on: October 07, 2018, 01:36:04 PM »
Rex; thank you. Only time and money and some more money and some salt will prove the design.

Wobbly; MIRA in the U.K. has a full size wind tunnel. I wrote to them but was met with silence. It sounds like A2 has some LSR experience. Waiting for a lottery win to be able to make multiple trips to the U.S. from the U.K.

Sparky; the front axle is planned to be around 2 inches under the bottom rail under the legs; pretty much directly under the point that the two diag braces make this is the widest point of the chassis and tapers forward from there - under the calves / ankles give or take. In theory the roll structure will provide some weight over the axle. There will be vertical push rods acting on a rocker translating bump and rebound to horizontal coil overs pretty much above the thighs mounted along the top longitudinal tube.
Just a squeeze.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #131 on: October 13, 2018, 12:28:17 PM »
Had a great business trip to Irvine Ca last week. Made time to visit Simpson and am now the proud owner of an SFI 20 suit. They did me a deal as I only ‘need’ a 15 but they didn’t have stock and when I called a couple of weeks ago they couldn’t make one up in time for my visit. Over specking the suit has been recommended to me so that worked out okay.

Talking to the nice man who will help with my engine build and this came up..... I will be running gas: what octane is typically available at Bonneville and perhaps a little optimistically: how are tanks sealed after a fill if one was on a qualifying run?
Just a squeeze.

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #132 on: October 13, 2018, 01:33:37 PM »
Any octane you need. Rick (ERC) will ask size, comp ratio, etc, and recommend what you need. Rick seals the tank with a piece of duct tape and a marker. The "MAYOR" knows what it is supposed to look like and can tell if it's been tampered with.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #133 on: October 14, 2018, 04:19:51 PM »
Thanks Ron
Just a squeeze.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #134 on: October 29, 2018, 10:53:56 AM »
DIY, canoe training and work seem to be interfering lately. I decided to mount the pedal assembly this weekend (just been sitting in-situ until now) and in the process did some rework and made the mounting adjustable for different leg lengths.

That creates a lot of extra work (drilling, welding nuts in place) and more plate (3mm) than I expected but I want them a bit more robust than simply bolted through the 2mm ally floor.

I just don't have the experience to determine the material weights so typically apply the 'too much is just right' engineering principle.
Just a squeeze.