Author Topic: UK Lakester build G/GL  (Read 289738 times)

Offline Lemming Motors

Re: UK Lakester build G/GL
« Reply #105 on: July 26, 2018, 11:00:10 AM »
Ed, the starting place is a larger driver so that should be covered if 6 foot and change and two hundred and thirty ish pounds counts?

Sumner; yes to adjustable pedals but my steering will be fixed; its going to have manual shift so that will be placed for my convenience which limits the driver adjustability - maybe a removable seat back that re-bolts in with steel spacers to the roll structure - something to noodle.
I read you site cover to cover a couple of years ago - sorry, I am not aware of why it isn't on the salt but given the work done it deserves to be.
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #106 on: July 28, 2018, 07:23:49 AM »
     Two thirty ish is just about where I started, another twenty ish crept in from somewhere before we got the car down a course.  6 foot would have covered me well, the weight must have come from the shrinking result of the natural aging process..............   :-D

All my best for you to stay safe, have fun, and go fast  :cheers:

Ed

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #107 on: August 29, 2018, 09:47:13 AM »
A small amount of progress on the roll structure; harness mounts and steering column mocked up to sort out the location of all the bits (including the fleshy ones) in the cockpit area.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #108 on: August 29, 2018, 09:55:04 AM »
Question: I understand the gas pedal needs to be a positive return (i.e. a toe strap) but how does that work with regard to the throttle cables - normally the butterflies pull closed with spring tension at the throttle bodies (I'm running n.a.). Now I am wondering if it is intended to mean that one cable pulls the butterfly open and the other cable is a return to pull it closed??

With a toe strap all I am doing is bring the gas pedal back to the start position but with Bowden cables this has no positive action closing the butterflies. Should I be thinking push / pull cables? Why am I thinking this now - I am sorting out the pedal assembly in the cockpit and am making the gas pedal box bespoke.

Rule 3.J
Twin throttle cables / springs  .....
.....with two (2) adequate return springs. There shall be a positive stop to prevent sticking in ‘over centre’ position.
Accelerator toe straps are required except on OEM cable or hydraulic throttles. 
Just a squeeze.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #109 on: August 29, 2018, 09:58:30 AM »
Ultimately form will follow function but here is a 1:18 scale concept model (with the SoCal Lakester for perspective) for general amusement.

I am sure it will look nothing like this in 12 or so months time but I can sit this on my desk to remind me why I go to work and travel occasionally to the US for business parts buying trips.
Just a squeeze.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #110 on: August 29, 2018, 10:30:20 AM »
We use a Morse Cable for throttle, looks like this...
https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/15706/10002/-1?CAWELAID=1710779705&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=39714413703&CATCI=pla-457013475003&CATARGETID=230006180040357463&cadevice=c&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzaiumLuS3QIVnbjACh1s4gISEAQYASABEgJGzPD_BwE

Lord what a long link... they are used on outboard motors for steering among lots of other uses.  Shifter cable is another.
They are made to length so you can get what you need, it might uncomplicate your throttle
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #111 on: August 29, 2018, 11:38:04 AM »
Lemming;

Yes, you will need a push-pull control cable for your throttle, a Bowden cable will not meet the rule book requirements. I'd recommend contacting these guys: 

http://www.controlcables.com/push-pull-cables/

They can supply any length you want as well as various choices of end fittings. Tell them that it is for a throttle cable and they will suggest a low-friction cable. To measure your length, use a rope or garden hose to route where the cable will run and then measure that lying out straight. Keep the bends as large a radius as possible and secure the cable at intervals with clamps so that the friction will be lower and lost motion will be small.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #112 on: August 29, 2018, 02:01:17 PM »
Thanks guys

I have used Morse cables when I did bespoke shift mechanism for the Europa.
Just a squeeze.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #113 on: August 29, 2018, 07:49:53 PM »
A Bowden type cable is legal, it's recommended that you don't use a plastic lined type for obvious reasons. Morse type cables can be very draggy when the engine is two city blocks behind you due to the length & bends making it hard to get good throttle response.
Another option is a clutch master/slave cyl hydraulic setup or you can buy a system for about $400us ready to go.
  Sid.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #114 on: August 29, 2018, 08:00:40 PM »
Sid & Lemming;

The problem with hydraulic throttle setups is that the hydraulic fluid expands and contracts as its temperature changes. It is hard to set the stops unless the temperature is constant.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #115 on: August 30, 2018, 03:59:53 AM »
Thanks everyone.

I just re-read the text (rule 3.J) in the actual rulebook. I have gone through the rule book and transcribed (read typed) out all the sections relevant to me and made notes so that I can work on the vehicle by 'area'. For some reason I had typed out rule 3.J in such a way that in it reads two throttle cables - I am taking the word 'redundant' literally to mean two cables but if its a morse type push / pull does it really need two of these cables?.

Does RTFM translate?
Just a squeeze.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #116 on: August 30, 2018, 10:26:49 AM »
Lemming;

One push-pull control cable.

Two return springs.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #117 on: September 19, 2018, 03:50:12 AM »
Throttle cable on order (one of, push pull) so the throttle assembly will have to wait.

In the mean time I thought it worthwhile to line out the roll structure to ensure that final placement of the contents (with fire suit and harness, neck restraint, boots, gloves, helmet etc on) is as restrictive as it will be in life; having gaps between the tubes does allow bits to ooze out and make it feel larger than it really is.

2mm aluminium on top of the full size roll structure tubing used to reinforce the seating area (as seen in previous pics).
Just a squeeze.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #118 on: September 19, 2018, 03:53:03 AM »
The aluminium still has its plastic sheet covering and not all the locating fixtures are installed yet. The two 1/2" bolts are the lower seat belt mount points and neatly line up with bum rather than bone.
Just a squeeze.

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #119 on: September 24, 2018, 03:24:24 PM »
John, as you are laying things out for your lakester, I would like to mention a tech related issue I faced at the 2017 WoS. If your fuel tank is mounted ahead of your foot box, a fluid tight bulkhead will have to be made just like the one separating the driver from a mid-engine configuration. Rules state that the roll cage extends the full length of the driver compartment so place your bulkhead forward of what constitutes your foot box. Also, if you plan to run fuel lines from front to back, you will need a steel enclosure (round or rectangular steel tubing) for your fuel lines, to capture any fuel potentially reaching the driver. Additionally, locate your electric fuel pump (if you use one) on the forward side of the front bulkhead.

John
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 08:15:26 AM by ggl205 »