Author Topic: UK Lakester build G/GL  (Read 289697 times)

Offline Lemming Motors

Re: UK Lakester build G/GL
« Reply #90 on: July 09, 2018, 06:32:36 AM »
Personally very happy with the structure; some tweaks made following comments to the early iteration of the model on this forum and now its steel the project becomes very real.

The roll structure was loaded on a trailer and I visited the supplier for my harness - he also imports extinguisher and chutes (I want the safety kit to be recognizable brands) so we had a chat and a measure up. I can get a 5 lb bottle under the seat no problem but the 10 lb would mean amending the lower X brace and I don't want to do that - having re-read the rulebook..... 'at least 5 lbs for the driver' I interpret that to mean, in my application, 2 x 5 lb bottles linked - that will still be neat and out of the way under the seat and protected in the event of an oops and I am happy the roll structure design did allow that to work. The engine bay 10 lb bottle will be back with the oily bits.

Thinking chute (planning way ahead), mounted in a tube with a sprung pilot to launch, Martin asked me to provide him the target speed, all up weight and how fast I want to stop. I am assuming slow deployment rather than multiple g and eyes on stalks; what does that mean in the real world though?

Question: if I was (very optimistically) cruising through the 5 at 220 mph how much distance would you work on to have the chute pull that down to say 50 mph - half a mile, a mile, less - am I even asking the right question? Thanks.
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Buamotorsport

« Reply #91 on: July 09, 2018, 09:39:22 AM »
Please remember that when tech inspect the car they must be able to see the fire bottles. And laying them down on the side is probably not ideal. They should be vertical or have a high angle. Put them and then a a nozzle or nozzles into the driver area.  Also, over a certain speed remember you have to have 2 chutes.

Offline handyguy

• BANTAM FOURPLAY
« Reply #92 on: July 09, 2018, 10:09:48 AM »
I inspect cars that people have pictures of  (can't see parts) , not sure about the fire bottles unseen .  Access panel would fix that with view of inspection  sticker.    And how will you pull bottle safety pins ??    2 nozzles in engine compartment  and 1 for driver required , some people have more than minimum nozzles ..    STEVE

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #93 on: July 10, 2018, 12:38:47 AM »
Put the safety at the handle end of the cable like most everybody else does.
  Sid.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #94 on: July 10, 2018, 11:09:19 AM »
We always seem the use a mile to slow, get out somewhere past the 6

Bottles laying down are just fine, if they are designed to lay down... our halon bottles have been like that for 30 years.

download the SCTA inspection sheet and ensure everything on that can be seen... including the attachments for everything on the sheet.  We remove as many body panels as we think we need to, if they want more removed, you can do that while they inspect something else on the sheet
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #95 on: July 10, 2018, 01:08:46 PM »
We always seem the use a mile to slow, get out somewhere past the 6

Bottles laying down are just fine, if they are designed to lay down... our halon bottles have been like that for 30 years.

download the SCTA inspection sheet and ensure everything on that can be seen... including the attachments for everything on the sheet.  We remove as many body panels as we think we need to, if they want more removed, you can do that while they inspect something else on the sheet

Verily, Stainless doth speak truth... horizontal mounting of a halon bottle is fine. See:

https://safecraft.com/wp-content/documents/installation/model-lt/Model_LT_Installation.pdf

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #96 on: July 11, 2018, 03:45:36 AM »
Many thanks for the replies.

The bottles can be mounted flat (per the company) but will in fact follow the line of the seat back so they have an up angle. I was intending to have a swaged hole (bomber seat style) in the seat back to eyeball the fill gauge but from the above comments have determined that also having quick removal of that section of the seat back (basically the spine region) would facilitate other aspects of inspection.

I was assuming the safety pins would be at the handles as the firing levers on the bottles will be completely isolated but belt and braces might be a good idea - at least for transport.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

Offline handyguy

• BANTAM FOURPLAY
« Reply #97 on: July 11, 2018, 09:53:38 AM »
Inspection of fire bottles requires seeing the fill date  tag / decal, less than 2 years .   STEVE

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #98 on: July 16, 2018, 08:51:46 AM »
Went to an air-show over the weekend (IWM Flying Legends) at Duxford UK. Everything on the flight line got into the air (B17, 11 Spitfires, a DC3 and a DC6, Focke Wulfe's, Hurricanes, Grumman cats, Curtis -Wright Hawk, War-Hawk, P40, B-25 Mitchell's, Corsair and etc.). Then they did a display with an F35 which ripped the sky apart.

Towards the end of the day a P-38 Lightning came out to play and, with the association to the original tankers, I freely admit to getting a little excited seeing one in the flesh.

Not many in the air this side of the pond these days - it had come over from Austria.

Unfortunately there were no belly tanks 'lying around' in the museum or workshop sections (all open to the public) so I didn't get a chance to see if one would fit on my roof bars.
Just a squeeze.

Offline comet

« Reply #99 on: July 16, 2018, 09:22:40 AM »
I quite fancied going to RIAT this weekend with a mate. Unfortunately I got booked up for a wedding instead. Missed the air show which seemed to be very good. Maybe I can get to one later in the year. Luckily I do get to see the odd spitfire every now and again from Headcorn. They sometimes do a fly over near enough to see and hear them.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #100 on: July 24, 2018, 12:27:22 PM »
Almost made a newbie mistake so I record it here for future builders of limited experience.

The roll structure is fully welded and I am mocking up the cockpit area; steering column and wheel, gear shift lever (manual shift), fire T handles, chute release etc. before mounting anything permanently. After several tries I got the steering wheel in a nice position; tacked in place using thin scrap as the column mount so that I could bend it to fit while seated in the position.

I was pretty convinced that was right and started to make a proper column mount. I got distracted and came back to it and decided to mock up the harness mounts instead. Got in, cinched them up as tight as I could on my own and oh dear - the steering wheel is too close to me now as I have almost zero shoulder movement and so I need to have the wheel at a longer arms reach - lucky save.

Henceforth I shall be belted in before checking likely positions of anything being added in the cockpit; especially the cup holders.

Just a squeeze.

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #101 on: July 24, 2018, 08:02:38 PM »
Almost made a newbie mistake so I record it here for future builders of limited experience.

The roll structure is fully welded and I am mocking up the cockpit area; steering column and wheel, gear shift lever (manual shift), fire T handles, chute release etc. before mounting anything permanently. After several tries I got the steering wheel in a nice position; tacked in place using thin scrap as the column mount so that I could bend it to fit while seated in the position.

I was pretty convinced that was right and started to make a proper column mount. I got distracted and came back to it and decided to mock up the harness mounts instead. Got in, cinched them up as tight as I could on my own and oh dear - the steering wheel is too close to me now as I have almost zero shoulder movement and so I need to have the wheel at a longer arms reach - lucky save.

Henceforth I shall be belted in before checking likely positions of anything being added in the cockpit; especially the cup holders.

It gets even tighter with the fire suite on so suit up for all fitment tests.

John

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #102 on: July 25, 2018, 12:16:24 AM »
lemming- thanks for that advice.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #103 on: July 25, 2018, 10:59:24 AM »
     Also don't overlook factoring in a little extra room for the future due to the usual aging process when it becomes much easier to gain than lose weight.  Trust us, don't ask how we know..........

Further down the road it could determine how quick a larger driver digs out a purchase price.

Ed

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #104 on: July 25, 2018, 03:38:43 PM »
In a lay-down car distance to pedals and steering and other controls are much more critical than for a car with more conventional seating.  I made all of those adjustable to hopefully work for drivers of different heights and such.  Not that it matters much if the car never goes down the track  :cry:

Sumner