Author Topic: UK Lakester build G/GL  (Read 289672 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: UK Lakester build G/GL
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2018, 11:36:08 PM »
WW  I was able to hook my child bride of 35 years on the joy of watching the world WAKE up  when I go pick up the paper in the morning I check for clouds in the predawn sksy---if there are some i give her a sunrise alert

OHh----the greatest sunrises I have ever experienced are at the salt flats---going out to impound---imagine that!!   :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2018, 09:33:55 AM »
My choice is the two piece suit its easier to get into and after a run much easier to cool off. Also consider the SFI 15 suit your rear engine so the 15 suit would be legal this adds to the benefit since the 20 suit is much heavier making exiting the car a bit more difficult.
 Ronnieroadster

I've often wondered about the front engine/rear engine deal as some times a rear engine car becomes a car with the engine in front during moments when you would need the suit the most.

I went with and would still go with the 20 as you might not know what you might get the chance to drive in the future and as has been mentioned, it can/could take time for help to arrive,

Sumner

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2018, 11:57:36 AM »
A one piece suit stays put on your body better in a reclined-lay down position providing better protection if you become the shrimp on the barbie. Just peel the top down if you're going to wander around in it but you only need to be suited up three cars back in line.
  Sid.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2018, 03:51:34 PM »
First let me see if my local blue printing co can do a drawing that is this large, 34" x 54". Or I can take a photo. Let me check.

Rex

Rex,

A 34" x 54" print/poster/photo can be scanned by a Blueprint Shop.     Most print shops that cater to architects and engineering firms can scan large format documents.    The output file can be in .dwg format; or .jpeg; or one of the other photo formats.   If the operator is "knowledgable" they should also be able to "raster scan" at high resolution.    A regular "photo copy" shop, is probably unable to copy that size print, unless in sections.   But again, you would need to check.    A "one piece" roll scan should keep all dimensions correct and to scale, an advantage over a multi-part pieced together scan.

For the information of other readers, U.S. engineering and architectural print sheet sizes, in inches, are:

A:       8.5 x 11
B:       11 x 17
C:       17 x 22
D:       22 x 34
E:       34 x 44
E roll   34 x  ? ?

Further, there are any number of 'roll' formats where the length is virtually unlimited.    Typical roll widths are 34" and 44".       48" and 54" are also available, but not as common.

Hope this is of some help.

:cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2018, 12:09:07 PM »
An apology. My comment about posting the plans (P38) didn’t “translate” - I had my tongue firmly in my cheek and meant don’t bother to photocopy, please post the originals but it may have appeared I was cheekily asking for a hard copy. Sorry. I’d love a photocopy if that’s possible.
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2018, 04:50:46 AM »
After forum feedback and an initial change I have now concluded the mounting of the roll hoops onto the top rail.

I think this is a good compromise; it reduces the angle slightly so perhaps also reduces the effect of a load splaying the top rails (marginal I suspect). It also reduces the frontal area by about one square inch - result.  :-D

The pic shows the mock up roll hoop with a piece of waste tube at the intersection of the top rail, without the duct tape - the 'tail' of the tube will weld onto the diagonal braces so its all nicely stitched together.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2018, 06:14:07 AM »
Helmet visor: I have found a UK supplier of racing helmets certified Snell 2015 and one of the options they offer are different visor tints. One that appeals is iridium blue (light or dark tint).

My normal sunglasses are Revo and Serengeti and when we were on the salt last year the sunglasses booth said I didn't need to buy from them as I had the right tint for the glare off the salt. My sunglasses have glass lenses so are probably not up to the 'shatterproof' rule.

Any comments on tinted visors?

Useful, pointless, darker the better?
Just a squeeze.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2018, 10:13:18 AM »
We always go with the dark windshield and clear visor... then it is driver choice if they wear sunglasses or not.  I never wear sunglasses but Johnboy always wears sunglasses. If I remember right Corey did not, Pork Pie did not, Marty did, Alan did, Kevin did not, Barc did not, Nick did not..... the rest I don't remember...  :roll:

My thought is a clear visor lets the rescue crew see your eyes for preliminary assessment...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2018, 12:10:00 PM »
I've raced with both clear and tinted visors and mirrored/non-mirror.  As far as I can tell, the mirror ones provide a far higher coolness factor than the plain versions.  FAR HIGHER!  The hot chicks fairly swoon, for sure!  Even some of the not-so-hot chicks aren't immune to the reflective-visored racers.

When I started wearing glasses that transition to dark as the brightness increases I discovered that a clear visor was fine.  And so that's what I do now.  After all, I've got Nancy - no further swoonosity is required by me.

Q. E. D.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2018, 12:54:56 PM »
Thank you; clear visor it is - after 33 years of marriage I definitely don't need swoonage - I wouldn't know what to do with it.

If the rescue truck is required they wont need to see my eyes - their olfactory senses will quickly determine if I'm functioning.

Order being placed for helmet, neck restraint and harnesses - that will determine egressability and sign off the basic roll structure.
Many thanks to all for the comments, advise and suggestions to get me this far.
Just a squeeze.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2018, 03:15:54 PM »
The clutch pedal assembly (new part) was dropped in to check that the leg position would allow full throw. The photocopy instruments were a vanity but on gluing them to the dash (subsequently modified to get in and out) they had me think about sight lines through the steering wheel (which is itself plywood and pipe insulation).

John

I 'm not sure how much room you've got but I made a rocker pedal for our clutch rather than a pedestal pedal. It actuates on pressing your heel down and means you can leave your foot on the pedal. It mightn't seem like a big deal but you may not have the room to take your foot right off the clutch.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2018, 04:38:49 PM »
He's not going to be as bunched up as you are in yours Gogg's.
  Sid.

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2018, 10:43:54 AM »
John:

When you begin searching for a head and neck restraint system, take a look at Necksgen. They are very compact and work well in tight or confined cages. I am a pretty big guy for my smallish lakester, OK, OK, I am a fat guy for a smallish lakester and have a hard enough time getting out of my car and didn't need to fight a head and neck restraint too. Necksgen was the perfect solution and didn't make me feel like all my cervical vertebrae were fused.

John

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2018, 11:14:43 AM »
Believe it or not I worked outwards from the foot area; I have size 13 feet in most shoe makes (some are 12 but that's just to make me feel better, like dress sizing).  I used to have a '69 Europa (the teeny tiny Lotus) and that has the smallest footwell around - that was my minimum. I have dimensions of that somewhere if anyone is interested in what you can drive with big plates on the end of your legs.

I was looking at the Leatt MRX PRO head and neck as its SFI tested and certified, has a low neck piece so fits any driving position without needing different angles (or adjustment) and is retailed in the UK. Anyone no this version - good, bad, ugly?

I will look at Necksgen before I place the order, thanks.
Just a squeeze.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2018, 12:40:45 PM »
My choice of the bunch is the Simpson Hybrid, it has a lot less bulk to it & the more reclined you get the more that becomes an issue. In many situations the helmet hits the collar preventing you getting your head far enough forward to be able to see straight ahead. Before you commit to buy, see if you can borrow & try.
You really don't need to own this $hit right now, by the time you're ready to run you'll be re-certifying everything, belts included.
Looks like the Leatt is one size fits all, hope they don't make condoms! :|
  Sid.
Article.http://www.racedaysafety.com/whhenere.html