Author Topic: UK Lakester build G/GL  (Read 289638 times)

Offline Lemming Motors

UK Lakester build G/GL
« on: January 11, 2018, 07:43:42 AM »
I got my first rule book in 2015 and attended my first Speed Week in 2017 so this has been a long time coming; don't hold your breath for updates - lets hope it will be quicker on the salt than getting to the salt.

The roll structure is in mock-up. I might have missed the section in the rule book about materials - waste pipe and duct tape okay?

I am constantly tweaking this but it proved invaluable for exit practice (changes made) - I can place my hands on the top rail and support my large frame during those manoeuvres if you are thinking about mock up materials.  More changes will follow - I am not sure about the roll hoops doubling back (to keep frontal tight) as the load is somewhat in sheer on the top rail though I have seen plenty like this.

I am also worried about where to place the cup holder.

John

A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: UK Lakester build G/GL
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 09:35:39 AM »
It might make sense to build everything that goes in the body first, install it in the mockup, adjust the temporary frame as needed, and then make the frame as the last thing.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 10:31:13 AM »
You are spot on - I had separately mocked up my gearshift as I was worried about using an inline car box several feet behind my bum - the lever doesn't fall to hand. After getting a successful cable operation with bell cranks and levers, resting the motor and box behind this mock-up I realised I could not accommodate that v.1 shifter (Toyota MRII is brilliant if you have the room). The v.2 shifter is still on the drawing board - column shift was considered.

The clutch pedal assembly (new part) was dropped in to check that the leg position would allow full throw. The photocopy instruments were a vanity but on gluing them to the dash (subsequently modified to get in and out) they had me think about sight lines through the steering wheel (which is itself plywood and pipe insulation).

John
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 11:22:27 AM »
Keep the sight line in mind---seems like the eyeballs just keep being shoved down for some reason  the other thing I would suggest keep in mind the bottom of the visor---had to buy another helmet so that we could get the bottom of the helmet chin down against our chest to see over the top of the bottom of the visor opening.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 12:16:54 PM »
You need to be able to get in & out of there with all your crap on & it looks like it would be tough to do with that close steering cross tube. If you don't have a fire suit handy, put a heap of clothing on & a brain bucket then see how that works.
  Sid.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 12:26:16 PM »
Sid, is your moniker related to your country of origin? I grew up in Gisborne.

I was looking at fire suits to test 'fit' and checked the rule book SFI rating requirements then realised it's the 'real' ones - 5 layer and all that. I think I can afford the build but not the suit. Someone mentioned how the suit raises and pushes you forward and now I think I understand the concern. Guess they are not so 'flexible' either.

John
Just a squeeze.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 01:32:55 PM »
     Different brands can and do use different fabrics and materials to make suits and related gear to meet the specs for various time protection levels required as minimums for different classes and speeds run.   Overall flexibility and outside dimensions can and do vary substantially between brands.

We started mocking up with a 40 yr old M/C helmet and heavy insulated winter coveralls then found out it was only a start...........

Ed

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 02:05:47 PM »
The heavy winter coveralls probably be OK for the suit. I don't know about the helmet, probably not.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 03:46:51 PM »
FWIW, I'm not a big fan of cage bars that have swoopy bends in them to join the shoulder bar.  Straight is stronger and tubing with bends in it tends to bend again more easily when stressed.  Can you re-do your cage (just what's around the driver's head) with straight shots of tube and not bends or does that disrupt your aero package too much?  One benefit of going with straight legged cage hoops is that you'll space the cage out away from you some.  Then you can use appropriate padding to buffer the driver's helmeted head.

Just my $.02... is there a British equivalent for that?  Not sure what the exchange rate is nowadays.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Skip Pipes

• I hate being bipolar, its awesome!
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 09:56:04 PM »
Hi John,

Great mockup. Sid (Kiwi) and Sumner are absolutely correct; don’t build the cockpit so tight you have trouble exiting. Nathan drives my Roadster and he has to twist sideways to get the Hans out from under the cage. (And it’s a generous cage). We’re in the beginning stages of a new new Lakester build so were avid fans.

Skip Pipes
Skip's Garage
Builder of the SUNBEAM ALPINE Police Interceptor

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 04:31:17 AM »
Just my $.02... is there a British equivalent for that?  Not sure what the exchange rate is nowadays.

1.5 pence doesn't roll off the tongue the same way (and doesn't buy as much either).

I have reposted the side-on pic with the fleshy bits installed. I will hold off on changes until I have found an SFI 3.2A/15 suit. Not much choice here in the UK by the look of it and no US business trips planned in the near future.

John
Just a squeeze.

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 08:07:52 AM »
John, might I suggest a -20 suit? Bonneville is rather large and you might not end up parked next to a fire truck in case of an incident.  :wink:
Wayno

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 08:49:37 AM »
I forgot one thing that I was going to mention the other day to think about.  I'd probably want to ...

... add bracing to the tube that drops down at the step and then goes towards the back of the car.

Above is one possible solution.  I think it also adds more strength to the cage area above the drivers head.  Just a thought,

Sumner

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2018, 11:48:22 AM »
I'll second Wayno's suggestion -- a -20 is not substantially more than a -15 and offers longer protection.  Never wrong to exceed the minimums.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2018, 03:20:53 PM »
John:

I like how your lakester is progressing. It should prove very fast once on the salt.

Driving position looks comfortable but egress may prove difficult when trying to get your feet in a position to push out of the cockpit. Since your legs and feet are substantially elivated, it looks like you will have to do a sit-up while pushing back against the seat thereby clearing your helmet from the roll bar and knees from the steering wheel hoop. Looks like a task for a young, slim, physically fit driver. I am the exact opposite and getting worse with age.

BTW, did you say what engine you will be using?

John