Author Topic: UK Lakester build G/GL  (Read 290505 times)

Offline Lemming Motors

Re: UK Lakester build G/GL
« Reply #630 on: July 27, 2020, 03:37:00 AM »
RR

The seat back will come out via 4 c/s set screws. That allows easy access to the battery, the fuses, the relays and the cut out switches. The cut outs can be reached but the fuses and relays are wired in from below - its accessible but if I had to shunt a wire in the field that will not be so much fun.

The carriers can be unclipped from the mounts but I did not give myself much free wire - I know, I know.

John
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #631 on: July 27, 2020, 02:59:20 PM »
John I feel your pain trying to stuff so much into the limited space available. And of course needing to add another wire and as time goes on I bet there will be a need for more additions its just part of the fun. Building a car from scratch and making the adjustments needed as time goes on its part of the enjoyment having a car thats really never finished. I bet you will find there will always be improvements  you will do as long as you have the car.  :cheers:
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #632 on: July 30, 2020, 01:09:38 PM »
I know most of you are in the shop prepping for SW but for those who are not; here are some progress pics of the Lakester interior.
Apart from the extinguisher cables and the extinguisher plumbing and nozzle (which I forgot about) the cockpit is almost complete and everything that passes through the firewall is doing just that.

Next is everything south of the firewall and then come back for the fire warning system electrics as I don't know where the led warning system will go - probably overhead so it needs some body work.  Plywood to make a buck for a mold for a 4 foot body section (fibreglass) arrived yesterday.

Plan A remains SW2021. There is no Plan B.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #633 on: July 30, 2020, 02:33:17 PM »
John, your work continues to look great. When a person takes pride in what they're building the reward is usually success. Keep up the good work.  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #634 on: July 31, 2020, 12:49:49 PM »
Thanks Pete

Success in this context will be getting to the salt. After that; we will see.

John
Just a squeeze.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #635 on: August 20, 2020, 05:17:55 AM »
While everyone was enjoying the salt  :-( I was using my last few days of redundancy to focus on a system I hope to never use.

In the context of the current climate I am a lucky so and so and back in full time employ but that rather reduces time on the Lakester for a while.
Just a squeeze.

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #636 on: August 20, 2020, 10:55:02 PM »
John your work is outstanding the inner body panels are great. Heres a tip on where i located the fire suppression in my car which passed tech easily.  In the engine compartment I located each nozzle between the oil pan rail and header.  I placed a nozzle on each side of the engine close to the front of the block. In the drivers compartment the one nozzle is located in the center below the steering wheel and gauge panel pointing directly at the driver.
 Ronnieroadster
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #637 on: August 21, 2020, 03:54:23 AM »
Thanks RR

I sent an email with some pics and notes to Roy Creel per section 16 of the latest rule book. Unfortunately I got an email fail on the address listed in the rule book but going to last years book its the same so maybe he is the wrong person to enquire of re fires systems.

Being remote its a long way to come to SW to be told to go get some post cards and head home. Hence the forum is absolutely invaluable wrt feedback from real world experience.

The cockpit nozzle is aimed at my belly button and has a fan array opening. The engine bay is a mock up to allow me to route from the bottle to it. One fan nozzle aims at the remote oil filter, oil lines and sump and the other back over the oil take off (where the original oil filter would be) and the headers. Maybe they should be either side of the engine as you note. How high are you mounting, relative to say the crank line?

John
Just a squeeze.

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #638 on: August 21, 2020, 06:36:59 PM »
Hi John
   The location for my nozzles is very close to the oil pan rail this places them between the oil pan and headers and both nozzles point rearward.  Per how the rule 3.Q is written the engine system shall generally include 2 nozzles directed toward the header/oil pan area or be installed according to manufacturer's recommendation. Placement in this location will meet the letter of the rule and you should be fine.
 Ronnieroadster

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #639 on: August 21, 2020, 07:43:04 PM »
Maybe I'm just stupid ? I'm sure lots of you may agree.  But I figured something out a decade or so about fire nozzles.  I had a line running along the inside of the frame rail to a Y behind the radiator of my Street Roadster.  (Which reminds me of a discussion of a venerable Road Runner racer with an inspector one day long ago.  "You mean my nozzles are in the wrong place?  Just tell me where the fire's gonna be and I'll move them over there.)  Any who, I branched  them off with lines running up on either side of the "radiator" and pointed back about valve cover gasket level.  Years later, getting ready for Bonneville, I was blowing out the lines (a good practice once a year with the nozzles removed) when one of them had an obstruction.  I was using brake lines and one was rusted internally.  How did that happen?  By hosing off the engine after every meet, some water apparently went in the nozzle and stayed.

Easy fix ? put the nozzles on the down side of a supply line and any water will drain out.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #640 on: September 07, 2020, 02:29:26 AM »
Stan, this is a delayed response to confirm my fire lines are stainless steel 1/4? so hopefully that helps: hose down noted. I love the question re. where will the fire be.

Almost made a rookie mistake this weekend: fitting the fuel pump and routing power to it. On the hunt for a small ring terminal in the electrics box found a strange connector: no memory what so ever. Kept exploring and found the other end: the inertia cut off switch: had completely forgotten about that.  :oops:
Just a squeeze.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #641 on: September 07, 2020, 11:24:49 AM »
John, are you using one of these
http://nebula.wsimg.com/c2468bc6b272248a8406e3bbde1895cd?AccessKeyId=1B489604A3781742F233&disposition=0&alloworigin=1
while you build... it is hard to remember everything without a cheat sheet....

What fire agent are you planning to use?  Nozzle placement would be different for different agents.  If you sketch out your car, the fire bottle manufacturer can help with the agent chosen... we did that 36 years ago... but it is simple... put one nozzle on the driver 5lb minimum and 2 on engine in header and pan area... total at least 11... we have about 17... 11.5 in a combination driver and engine bottle, and 5.5 just driver... accidentally fired the driver bottle during bailout... it sprayed for  at least 2 minutes.  it has a single reduced nozzle.... expensive test but that is what you want from your system... maximum protection time.  You have very little excess space in your lakester... driver and engine area....

Get it here, don't worry, you will be able to run  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #642 on: September 08, 2020, 08:04:34 AM »
Thanks Stainless
Yes, I use the scrute sheet and I typed out all of the rule book with notes to myself but sometimes myself forgets to re-read the notes in the excitement of a lightbulb moment. Between me and myself we usually coordinate better than the inertia moment: thats probably quite a good pun.

Using two 10lb bottles; one for engine, one for cockpit. Might be over doing the cockpit?

Does anyone have an up to date email for Roy Creel, the rulebook one bounces. Will revert to DJ re bottles and nozzles and will take it to their UK agent to critique; he lent me an AN flare tool and he installs systems for drag racers.
Just a squeeze.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #643 on: September 08, 2020, 01:25:44 PM »
Forgot... if you are shipping to the east coast or the south coast you should come a bit early... we could put it on the dyno unless you have it dyno'd before you leave...  either way, you are welcome to stay in Wichita on your way to and from....
unless you end up with the record... then you are welcome and expected to stay longer on the way back so we have time to celebrate your 200 MPH Club and record  :clap
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #644 on: September 08, 2020, 01:55:02 PM »
Forgot... if you are shipping to the east coast or the south coast you should come a bit early... we could put it on the dyno unless you have it dyno'd before you leave...  either way, you are welcome to stay in Wichita on your way to and from....
unless you end up with the record... then you are welcome and expected to stay longer on the way back so we have time to celebrate your 200 MPH Club and record  :clap
 :cheers:

Oh boy now your putting the pressure on John records and a red hat its possible for sure.