Author Topic: UK Lakester build G/GL  (Read 289667 times)

Offline ronnieroadster

Re: UK Lakester build G/GL
« Reply #195 on: December 21, 2018, 05:58:25 PM »
 John in my car anything needing to run rearward is located in the plane of the 1-5/8 inch size frame rails all the wiring, shift cable, two parachute cables, brake line, oil line etc i use both sides of the frame to accomplish getting all this rearward.  The water tank has nothing running below or above all items run along side the tank I designed the tank so its contoured to fit in the space between the frame rails and the firewall shape it sits just above the floor pan on thin rubber strips the top is shaped like the top of the body so no space is unused allowing the water tank to be as large as possible. I run an auto trans so shifting is accomplished by cable. Your shifting by way of rods will create a bit more engineering but i bet the rod location can be in the plane of the frame rails tubes.
  Ronnieroadster
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #196 on: January 03, 2019, 09:51:56 AM »
I have made up the engine and trans mounts (solid) and located the engine in the correct lateral plane. The mounts are tacked to the chassis rails so I can adjust fore and aft. For now I have given myself sufficient longitudinal space for a 52 litre (13 US gal) water tank. Any comments on prop shaft length - I was thinking 12" should be plenty?

After the discussion of total loss electrics, and determining I have the room, I took a proper look at the OEM alternator (which had been removed and flung in a cabinet).
It has a 4 pin connector (plus the big battery cable). You have to be kidding me; it turns out the stock ECU manages the switching somehow but I will be using an aftermarket ECU - from the replica Lotus 7 community that use this engine I have some direction - one pin is 12v in to excite the beast and one is an output to the dash charging light, ignore the other two - I need a wiring diagram for the donor car! I am more used to a 12 volt supply from ignition via the dash light to the alternator with the alt. earthing that circuit until it is charging and then isolating the earth, effectivelly turning the dash lamp off. I may be describing that badly but thats how I uderstand it and if I wire a single alt. that way it works.

I guess a larger dia. pulley will slow it down a tad and be more useful in the target rev range, but will that cause problems idling on the line - one step forward, two back and trip over your shoe laces - this bespoke stuff is harder than it looks, which is why we enjoy it I guess.  :lol:

The flywheel / clutch scattershield is in my near future.

A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #197 on: January 03, 2019, 11:52:07 AM »
I read an article about the 2018 Americas Most Beautiful Roadster winner and it is set up for go (as well as show) with a solid front axle and reference to a Steve Moal axle locator which, if I read it correctly, is a sliding block affair a la Alfa, Lancia and etc.

It is exactly what I had in mind and commented on previously but I cant find a pic of it on the interweb - just a reference to Steve Moal custom coachworks who do sell some lovely parts but nothing obviously suspension related.

Anyone have a pic?
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #198 on: January 03, 2019, 01:39:21 PM »
Does the S2000 have a counter rotation balance shaft? If not you may want to make the engine mounts have some compliance. 4 bangers (without balance shafts) vibrate a lot and can fail solid motor mounts.

Your build is looking great.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #199 on: January 03, 2019, 02:23:47 PM »
I have made up the engine and trans mounts (solid) and located the engine in the correct lateral plane. The mounts are tacked to the chassis rails so I can adjust fore and aft. For now I have given myself sufficient longitudinal space for a 52 litre (13 US gal) water tank. Any comments on prop shaft length - I was thinking 12" should be plenty?

After the discussion of total loss electrics, and determining I have the room, I took a proper look at the OEM alternator (which had been removed and flung in a cabinet).
It has a 4 pin connector (plus the big battery cable). You have to be kidding me; it turns out the stock ECU manages the switching somehow but I will be using an aftermarket ECU - from the replica Lotus 7 community that use this engine I have some direction - one pin is 12v in to excite the beast and one is an output to the dash charging light, ignore the other two - I need a wiring diagram for the donor car! I am more used to a 12 volt supply from ignition via the dash light to the alternator with the alt. earthing that circuit until it is charging and then isolating the earth, effectivelly turning the dash lamp off. I may be describing that badly but thats how I uderstand it and if I wire a single alt. that way it works.

I guess a larger dia. pulley will slow it down a tad and be more useful in the target rev range, but will that cause problems idling on the line - one step forward, two back and trip over your shoe laces - this bespoke stuff is harder than it looks, which is why we enjoy it I guess.  :lol:

The flywheel / clutch scattershield is in my near future.

Mate, your cage gussets need to be on the outside of the tubing with an open corner, not in the middle of the tube as you have them.
Your alternator is internally regulated so all you need is a 12v wire to the field terminal to excite it.
Hillbilly alternator test when it's not mounted to anything. = stick it in the vice, hook it up to a battery, spin it with a drill, put power to the field pin & you will feel it load up. They will work in either direction if you need to turn it around due to mounting restrictions but the cooling fan will be running backwards.
  Sid.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #200 on: January 04, 2019, 04:05:17 AM »
Sid, thanks for the catch - the gussets are only tacked. Hillbilly field test - I love it but .... have you been living in the sticks too long?  :-D

Rex, will look into the motors inherent balance but I am tight in places on clearance and would like to tie it all together.
Just a squeeze.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #201 on: January 04, 2019, 08:12:35 PM »
I could never live in the sticks too long Mate, I luv it out here. :mrgreen: I'm a mobile mechanic on equipment & long haul trucks & that's a Kiwi hillbilly alternator test I came up with years ago. Spin it, stab it & see what happens. :lol:
  Sid.

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #202 on: January 04, 2019, 10:35:18 PM »
 :cheers:"Spin it, stab it & see what happens" sounds like a plan :cheers:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline tauruck

« Reply #203 on: January 05, 2019, 06:11:21 PM »
I took Sid's advice on many things and he hasn't been wrong yet. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #204 on: January 08, 2019, 12:06:18 PM »
I have modelled a more structural upright between the dash hoop and the lower chassis structure and mocked up an instrument binnacle to make sure I could still get in and out.

I am still working out the details of the revised steering column and etc. but I cannot get a small rack and wonder if anyone knows where one might lurk. I had settled on a 20:1 Stiletto but .......

The reply to my infrequent status emails, over the last 5 or 6 months is always the same: ProWerks have retooled the Stiletto production and are making parts before they do any assembly but that has been going on far too long now to make sense - if you have it retooled why wouldnt you start building in batches to start recouping costs - I would have at least expected a delivery date, even if it was future looking. The same status on their spindles but I am not pursueing those - does anyone know whats actually going on there?

Strange list a 12:1 rack but, based on my research on the LSR Forum thats probably a might quick.  I am aware folks use a steering quickener in reverse but access to some of those things is difficult out here in the old country. Are there any alternatives in the 15:1 - 20:1 that are appropriate?
Just a squeeze.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #205 on: January 08, 2019, 01:50:53 PM »
Jeez that's a huge chunk of iron you have there Mate! It looks like you have enough structure up top to mount the steering & eliminate that.
  Sid.

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #206 on: January 08, 2019, 05:46:48 PM »
I agree with Sid if you eliminate the downward support you have a lot more area for your legs which when trying to exit a car like this need to get into a Z configuration. Similar issues I deal with when exiting my race car.  Suggestion for a steering rack I use one made by Unisteer they make them for street rod applications mine was custom built for the car to dimensions I sent for arm length. A simple unit designed with a straight input shaft the cost is reasonable.   A good source for help for the rack is Delaware Chassis Works 772-210-2713 Joe Timney is well versed in what we need joetimney@gmail.com.
 Ronnieroadster
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 08:46:13 PM by ronnieroadster »
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #207 on: January 08, 2019, 07:23:08 PM »
John, if you have any dirt track racers near you, they use steering reduction devices (quickeners in reverse) and may have a few spares they would let go of.

John

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #208 on: January 09, 2019, 05:49:21 AM »
Your are not wrong Sid. It is an unfortunate size but it will serve another purpose that will become obvious later on in the song, or, like most things on this build, since it is only version 2 of this area it will more than likely evolve further. Nothing is final until everything is final - I am getting better at simply tack welding and moving on. Fewer regrets. I have also gotten to the point where a bracket is simply drilled and rough cut but not finished until it is proven to be right - that has saved some angst when it turned out not to work as expected - less rework.

I can still get in and out without interference (no different from that structure being absent) as the way I do slide in and out relies more on the edges than the centre space. It certainly prvides a sense of security  :-D Getting out does require good core strength though.

I will follow up with unisteer / Delaware chassis works, thanks for the tip RR.
Just a squeeze.

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #209 on: January 09, 2019, 08:30:14 AM »
If I had that post between my legs I think I'd double up on my belt mounts.  :roll:  :cheers:
Wayno