(Note: LANDRACING.COM donations are not tax deductible)

This is a public forum. The opinions expressed here don't
necessarily reflect the feelings of The Folks That Run The Site (that's us)
unless we explicitly say so, ok?

Author Topic: Bockscar 2.0  (Read 170530 times)

johnmac424 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
Re: Bockscar 2.0
« Reply #780 on: July 15, 2020, 11:45:33 AM »
You might be a little out of sequence Robert..Bockscar's nose art was added after her visit to Nagasaki. 1drink
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 02:47:42 PM by floydjer »
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #781 on: July 15, 2020, 11:58:17 AM »
Years ago I talked on the phone with the pilot of Bock's Car, Chuck Sweeny. He wasn't very friendly but "Enola Gay" pilot Paul Tibbits was a very nice fellow.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #782 on: July 15, 2020, 11:55:38 PM »
Neil, he flew the nuclear mission because his airplane was outfitted with equipment and cameras from the previous mission... Fred Bock and crew flew his observer airplane that day.   When the 509th had their reunion at Wendover Fred was on the salt with us.  He liked our version of the nose art but let us know we were not the first car named Bockscar.  He and crew built a car from parts and it had Bockscar painted on it.   

Jerry, we have had nose art for the last 30 years... it has changed several times but it pretty much reflects info about the car and team... our new art has the B-29 Doc.... the newest flying museum and one of Wichita's more famous planes... we also have Wichita's Keeper of the Plains... no it's not Friday....
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, MSA Bockscar Lakester with a little N20 
MSA Bockscar Lakester #1000 my fastest mile 245 and change, 84 ci turbobusa motor... but Corey's 233 MPH H/BFL record is still 3MPH faster than mine.