Author Topic: BadHorse Build Diary (2010 shelby gt500)  (Read 5389 times)

Offline bearingburner

Re: BadHorse Build Diary (2010 shelby gt500)
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2020, 07:38:18 PM »
When you ask" how fast do you want to go" Translates into how much money are you able to spend!

Offline BadHorse

• New folks
  • thank you for flying ford airlines
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2020, 11:46:37 AM »
Question time BadHorse?

How fast do you really want to go?
Are you trying to build a dual porpoise vehicle?
Are you considering returning it back to a "collector" car when you are finished racing?
And just for GP, weight in general, is not a bad thing in a land speed car. Especially a coupe like yours.

the car is never leaving my family and i dont care about cutting it up some. this being said i would like to occasionally drive it on the street but primarily its gonna be a salt car

Offline BadHorse

• New folks
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2020, 11:48:22 AM »
When you ask" how fast do you want to go" Translates into how much money are you able to spend!

im going to shoot for over 200 mph. that being said it would be in my best interest to buy and install a roll cage once

Offline jl222

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2020, 12:53:14 PM »
im new to Bonneville building. im shopping for roll cages and i need recommendations. and no i dont have a rule book yet

Try Chris Alston Chassis Works

JL222

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2020, 01:31:32 PM »
At least for SCTA events you have to meet the specs for the record in the class you enter. So if your car won't go over 100mph but you enter an class with a record of 250, you have to meet the 250 specs. Cage requirements don't change though a few other safety specs do when you go over 200. Cage specs are minimum required and generally people will build, or at least recommend, in this sort of case to over do it. Like go to 1.75" tube (or bigger) from the 1.625x.120 requirement. Cheaping out on safety specs is not considered wise...... lol8. The addition of head restraint/full containment seats/"funny car" type driver enclosure etc add modifications to more standard cages. Be sure your cage builder understands. Also, moly specs are slightly different but as weight is your friend may not be considered beneficial to go lighter. I am not sure of any sort of official opinion but heard that for deformability reasons that mild steel was preferred but I am not sure that is true. Ask Steve Davies (chief car inspector or Mike LeFevers ( Dynoroom)who has already posted on this thread.

You are not but often people will try to repurpose a race car from other venues, SCCA, NHRA and so forth. Their cages generally will not meet SCTA specs so starting from scratch is best, as you are.

When you get your rule book you'll have a better idea about this.

There is a guy in SLC that I ran into last year  at Speedweek. They were involved with a streamliner. His work looked good. You might try. Lockhart Enterprises. 801-485-8029 is number I have.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 01:35:35 PM by jacksoni »
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline jl222

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2020, 05:35:27 PM »
im new to Bonneville building. im shopping for roll cages and i need recommendations. and no i dont have a rule book yet

Try Chris Alston Chassis Works

JL222

We have an Alston complete body over chassis more than you are looking for but it took years for the SCTA
to meet its standards and not all.
  Also Alston's cages are safety engineered not so by most fabricators.

JL222

Offline BadHorse

• New folks
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2020, 06:03:30 PM »
this very morning on the salt.

Offline ROKTSHP

• New folks
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2020, 08:28:52 PM »
I want to wish you the best of luck with your build. Our car (1993 Trans Am) quickly snowballed into a large project. We just wanted to put a different engine in it and go run the salt but once we got our hands on the rule book and attend Speed week two years ago we realized just how much work we had ahead of us. But it is coming together and hopefully we will have the car running down the salt in 2021. Good luck with your project and see you on the salt!

Offline BadHorse

• New folks
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2020, 10:00:59 AM »
I want to wish you the best of luck with your build. Our car (1993 Trans Am) quickly snowballed into a large project. We just wanted to put a different engine in it and go run the salt but once we got our hands on the rule book and attend Speed week two years ago we realized just how much work we had ahead of us. But it is coming together and hopefully we will have the car running down the salt in 2021. Good luck with your project and see you on the salt!

thanks for the welcome!! and i know this is going to snowball out of control! lmao. this may be  my first salt assault, but its not my first "race" car. i do have experience building cars for drag racing. yes i know not the same thing but thats ok, i know i have a mess of confusion to sort out and i look forward to it and what my BadHorse can do