Author Topic: Freud  (Read 121813 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Freud
« Reply #90 on: September 28, 2019, 01:36:21 PM »
We're all newbies at some point, and to a newbie, Bonneville can be an intimidating place.
Glenn, through his openness, humor and generosity of spirit, removed for Kate and me much of that intimidation and revealed to us the family I'm still learning to love and appreciate.
RIP, Doctor. 
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #91 on: September 28, 2019, 01:37:16 PM »
RIP Doc. Thank you for the inspiration, friendship, the stories and the North West Reunions. I will always cherish the good times we had and all I have learned from you. You lived a great life. My best wishes to your loving family.

John
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #92 on: September 28, 2019, 01:44:09 PM »
Bye Freud.  :-(
Wayno

Offline STICK777

« Reply #93 on: September 28, 2019, 01:44:43 PM »
RIP Doc.

I never met you but you must have have been a real good one!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #94 on: September 28, 2019, 02:07:13 PM »
He and I were so looking forward to one of the yearly "guided tours" of central Nevada.  I haven't made it the last couple of years without missing him and hoping it could happen.  I guess not.  But I can't think of the salt without thinking of him then, too.  He was such a delight, such a friend, such a crack-up with tales of old.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline BSTER

« Reply #95 on: September 28, 2019, 02:12:25 PM »
You will be missed buddy RIP now

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #96 on: September 28, 2019, 02:17:53 PM »
Dam, double dam, triple dam - Scheiss! :cry: :cry: :cry:
Hope he hooks up with Ray and saves us a front row seat!  :cheers:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #97 on: September 28, 2019, 02:50:02 PM »
From Freud's intro on this site...2008
My sign on name is FREUD. I use that because Ed Roth assigned my nick name (Doc Freud) in 1968. With a last name of Freudenberger and a degree in Optometry, it covered all the bases. I live in Everett, WA. My first trip to B'ville was 3 months after I graduated from college in 1963. ('lotta good guys had '63 as their first trip)
I was shooting fotos at the drag races and it took me a few years before the camera interrupted my spectating experiences on the salt. The foto on the cover of CYCLE Magazine (December 1969) opened a new world for me. For a few years I printed fotos in my room at the Wendover Best Western Hotel. I have people tell me that the fotos from 1975 are still on the wall at home or in the shop. Reality slapped me in the face several years ago when a fellow told me he remembered me from his early trips to the salt when he was a young kid. The clincher was when he concluded with the statement, "Now you're one of the Old Timers." I guess that was what was required to be the most recent inductee in the Kilo Club.
2008 will include my 118th trip to the salt. Private time, WOS, World Finals  and Speed Week have had years with 5-6 trips.
Then in the 80's I went nuts and rode a TZ 750 to capture the spirit of the racer. My tough teacher was Don Vesco and I treasure the time we had together.
When I add a slight bit to my learning curve, I will post the building diary on Marlo Treit's website (www.target550.com) and keep everyone up to date on his streamliner build.
For the past 8 years I have done the foto diary of the Gas Up event for the Gold Coast Roadster and Racing Club. That has given me the opportunity to be in a "one on one" situation with the heros of LSR.  So I have enjoyed a closeness with a marvelous group of talented people. For that I am most grateful.
With the help of a few dear friends, I put on the B'ville NW Reunion each year. This site is my closest link to the racers and so it is with great dedication  that I will do all possible to help Jon and Keilani keep it afloat.

Aging ugly,
FREUD

He was a man of great humor and occasionally great backwards driving. 
This should be a celebration of his life
My favorite story... well OK one of....
My grandson Trey (as in uno, dos) was about 14 when he got to know Freud... that year we were racing a bike, my oldest, his dad was riding.  He forgot his camera in town, we were in line and he wanted to go back to the motel and get it.  Freud to the rescue... he said lets go.... when they got to Freud's car he said get in, you're  driving.  Trey was going about 30, mostly because he had only driven a little in the country with his mom and dad.... Freud said com'on step on it, we gotta get back before they run... at 70 he said stop lolly gagging... at 100 he said there was more left.  When they got to the pavement, Freud took the wheel... when they got back on the salt, Trey back at the wheel, floored it and slowed only when they passed the pits (on the mountain side) and got near the 4.  Trey got a "dads the black dot in the photo" pic of his father going by at 200.
Trey still talks about his rental car racing with Freud ... his first time to 100MPH ... and how cool the Old Guy was
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline joea

« Reply #98 on: September 28, 2019, 03:03:25 PM »
Fitting that there is currently wet tears flowing onto - The Bonneville Salt Flats

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #99 on: September 28, 2019, 03:31:45 PM »
Don & Gus, thanks for that great picture.

Stainless,

there are so many great moments and fun I shared with Doc....tough to pick a highlight....
Doc and I not only shared the passion for speed and the salt flats, but also, and that makes it real special....

we shared the passion for framing the moments at the salt with our camera.......the racers....the people behind our dreams at the salt.....and creating memories for our
speed community.....

so the friendship between Doc and me was in a very special way.....because we both shared the view out of our eye through the viewfinder to capture the moment and freeze them in a picture.....

telling stories with a picture - how I can explain - Doc and I, we could communicate this way......

Thanks, Doc, for all this wonderful memories

Pork Pie
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline desotoman

« Reply #100 on: September 28, 2019, 03:48:14 PM »
Oh man that is sad news indeed. Glenn was loved by everyone, and Glenn loved everyone. Glenn's stories were never ending and you were always laughing when in his company. Glenn you were a one of a kind and will be missed by everyone. My condolences to his Family. Glenn made the world a fun place to live in. Rest in Peace and Godspeed Glenn.

Tom G. 
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 07:00:23 PM by desotoman »
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #101 on: September 28, 2019, 05:49:53 PM »
I'm sorry to hear this. RIP Dr Freud.

Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #102 on: September 28, 2019, 07:02:09 PM »
I'll change the home page to reflect Freud's passing.  Check in later.  Rest in Peace, dear Freud. :cry:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #103 on: September 28, 2019, 08:11:12 PM »
He was a kind & caring soul, funny & adventurous, not to mention a great photographer.
Godspeed Glenn...

Freud & I at Bonneville 2016
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 08:14:34 PM by Dynoroom »
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #104 on: September 28, 2019, 09:43:38 PM »
I saw this earlier today on Facebook.

What makes a man a great man? It's not wealth or fame. It's not things accumulated over a life time. What makes a man a great man is how many people's live he touched in a positive way while on this earth. Freud was truly a great man. A life well lived.

A great friend to me and to all.

Good Speed Doc. I hope you and Ray are catching up on floating mountain.

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM