Author Topic: Lakester Front Suspension  (Read 20376 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Lakester Front Suspension
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2018, 09:27:29 AM »
love the duct tape---To Sum's point do not forget  fire suit thickness it moves one forward as well as up---that was the main reason we had to re do our front cage hoop. It was my second rodeo and we still screwed it up---also --are you using 7 or 9 point harness---it also changes things some.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2018, 09:59:07 AM »
Thanks Sparky
Looks like I will have to get suited and booted before final measurements :oops:

I have Lakester front questions;

1. a number that have been proposed on this thread have the rack attached to the axle - no bump steer - yeah. I assume (?) therefore that the lower (rack end of) the steering column has a splined section to accommodate small changes in length required by the vertical movement of the axle altering the (relative) length of the column? If that is the case can anyone supply a manufacturer or photos of what is acceptable?

2. are spindle mounted non-ferrous front wheels accepted in the 200 and a little bit mph classes?

John
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline awelker

• www.vonwelker.com
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2018, 10:34:36 AM »
I used a Woodward MC rack that is mounted to my axle. Rack just has a short spline but they also sell telescoping shafts. Somewhere I have a CAD drawing of my rack if interested.

http://www.woodwardsteering.com/catalog2017.html

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2018, 11:04:11 AM »
The Woodward catalogue shows splined yolks which answers my question and has a really good description of how u-joints deliver different shafts speeds at different times as they go through rotation and how double u-joints help that at higher angles and especially how to phase u-joints on a shaft - really interesting. Thanks.
John
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2018, 11:31:54 AM »
Sliding d shafts can be salvaged from a variety of cars and found on ebay.  John, start a build diary....
Yes spindle mounted aluminum wheels are allowed, but magnesium wheels are not.
It looked like you have a single bar over your helmet, split that into 2 bars and you will gain head space.  Plate over them and you head will be better protected. 
If you can find a center load rack, it will allow longer tie rods... good luck with your build.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2018, 04:17:25 PM »
To SS1 point  the flat plate added between the two bars--not to stick up above them--really makes it nice to put the flat SFI padding on above and behind the helmet should not lose clearance
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Skip Pipes

• I hate being bipolar, its awesome!
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2018, 08:45:07 PM »
John,

Your frame/cage mock-up is superb. You should start a thread in Technical Discussions and re-post these pics so we can flush these design concepts. My chassis design is similar so I want to get Sumner's further guidance.

Skip Pipes
Skip's Garage
Builder of the SUNBEAM ALPINE Police Interceptor

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2018, 03:29:47 PM »
Both you and Nathan are pretty stout guys, are you considering a "slimmer" driver, cuts down on the frontal area.

Luckily for me, even though the engine is an inline 6, the turbo hanging off one side and intake manifold hanging off the other means I fit within those confines very easily. 
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2018, 03:33:06 PM »
John, Your frame/cage mock-up is superb.

I concur.  I really like the raised floor for better driver ergonomics.  Very formula car-ish.  You don't always have to build things to be stupid simple.  A little design pizzazz goes a long way. 
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2018, 04:12:58 AM »
Thanks for the positive comments - I have started a build thread as suggested: UK Lakester Build G/GL.
John
Just a squeeze.