Author Topic: Long distance SCTA membership  (Read 3632 times)

Offline TWKundrat

• New folks
Long distance SCTA membership
« on: December 06, 2017, 01:20:15 PM »
Hi all,

I've been digging around this site trying to find a clear answer on required yearly El Mirage participation for SCTA membership.  I have come across mention of a three event minimum participation.  It isn't clear to me if that applies to long distance members, or if Bonneville is included as an event? 

I fully understand the importance of volunteers in running the meets and would be more than willing to help with patrol duties etc. whenever possible.  I'm just wondering if there was a year that I could only make it to one or two meets if I would be booted from the club?  Ideally we would get to at least three meets and some club meetings every year but life can sometimes get in the way.  I know 500 miles isn't that much to complain about and a lot of guys have a much longer trek, but it still makes it a bigger ordeal to make all the events.  I have also seen associate memberships mentioned for long distance members.  I think I saw that associate members of SCTA clubs are not actually SCTA members?  If anyone could clear all of this up for me I would appreciate it.

I've just been a spectator at El Mirage for the last seven years and some friends an I are finally getting serious about putting together a lakester.  Our goal is to run at the November meet next year.  I suppose we might run as guests the first go around but I would still like to be thinking about joining a club.

Thanks,

Tim Kundrat

Tucson, AZ

Offline RichFox

Re: Long distance SCTA membership
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 01:28:49 PM »
You must be a member of one of the SCTA clubs to be an SCTA member. However, you may be a member of at least some of the clubs, without being an SCTA member. Different clubs have different rules concerning course duty. You would have to contact the club you wish to join to find out their policy about long distance members

Offline TWKundrat

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 01:58:11 PM »
Thanks for the response Rich.  It's helpful to know that course duties vary from club to club and that it's not the same across all SCTA clubs.  I'll have to start making the rounds to figure out the club that would best suit us.  Is there any reason that we would really need to join a club before running our first meet?  I figure we won't be going for any records out of the rookie line anyway.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 03:06:40 PM »
I think non members are limited to one run only. If that is true, being a club member would seem to be a better deal. And I just like being a member. I think you will too.

Offline strmlr555

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 03:42:46 PM »
I wonder the same thing , ?

Offline Eddieschopshop

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 07:17:12 PM »
Guests can run one run per round like everyone.  Just no records.

Offline Skip Pipes

• I hate being bipolar, its awesome!
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 10:10:33 PM »
I agree with Rich and think you’d enjoy being a club member. Which club is up to you so do some checking with the Phoenix racers about clubs. Just my opinion and but I believe there’s a natural camaraderie in being a member vs visitor.

Skip Pipes
Skip's Garage
Builder of the SUNBEAM ALPINE Police Interceptor

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 11:18:30 PM »
If you live in Tucson you will now need to join a club---there are a ton of us Zonies who are Gear Grinders---we have to patrol duties and most of us attend our annual GG party.We would love to meet you---Francis lives in Tucson a bunch of us live in and around Phoenix.  Sparky  602-762-2211 I have a Lakester an will help in any way I can feel free to call.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Beef Stew

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 02:56:54 AM »
Your two closest clubs are the San Diego Roadster Club in San Diego, CA president@sdrc.net and the Road Runners in Riverside, CA emginc@earthlink.net If tradition is important to you, the Road Runners are a founding SCTA club (1937).
Former record holder at RIR ½ mile drags, El Mirage and Bonneville.

Beef Stew doesn't have his head where the sun-don't-shine. His head is in SoCal where the unusual is an everyday happening.

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 12:53:01 PM »
SDRC members must pull a once a year patrol duty if you run El Mirage 3 times a season or live within 200 miles of El Mirage.

Tom

Offline TWKundrat

• New folks
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 02:12:14 PM »
Thanks for all the responses guys.  I am looking forward to getting into one of the clubs.  I was only thinking about running as a guest if it was going to be a pain not being local to any clubs, but it sounds like that's not going to be an issue. 

Sparky, I definitely would like to meet some of you Arizona guys.  I'll give you a call sometime and maybe me and my buddies can take a field trip up to Phoenix to see what you have going on.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 03:26:50 PM »
Francis works at Ron's Fuel Injection on Monday and Tues---We can show you two different styles of Lakesters
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline mergatroyd

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2017, 12:54:04 AM »
And for Bonneville, I am about an hour southeast of Tucson... I mostly run bikes, but that may change this year.
I have no idea what I'm doing... but it seems to be working!