Author Topic: Changing model year of vehicle Q's?  (Read 7117 times)

Offline SteveM

Changing model year of vehicle Q's?
« on: December 02, 2017, 11:31:06 AM »
I am investigating the possibility of changing the nose section of my '84 Dodge Rampage to be an '83 Dodge Rampage.

Apart from the front nose section and hood, there are no other differences between a mid-year '83 Rampage and an '84 Rampage.

Are there any rulebook / logbook implications associated with declaring a change of model year for any particular vehicle?  I know it's been done on other vehicles, but I'd like to sort out any potential roadblocks before going too far down the path.

The reason I'm considering this change is that for the "Single headlight" front ends of an '83 Rampage, there are factory headlight covers which are rare, but available.  For the quad-headlight front end of the '84, I have been searching for 4 or 5 years for an ultra-ultra-ultra rare set of factory headlight covers.  The underlying question is whether the '83 front end with headlight covers is more aerodynamic than an '84 front end without headlight covers.

My intention would be to test both nose sections at an ECTA Arkansas Mile event, (an '83 with headlight covers versus an '84 without headlight covers) to see if there is a clear advantage to either design.

As always, any help/guidance would be appreciated.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: Changing model year of vehicle Q's?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 11:37:06 AM »
Considering all the variables running at a meet present maybe consider instead doing a 'coast-down test'....

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/discover-your-drag-coast-down-testing/

Then you wouldn't even have to wait for an event,

Sumner

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 12:02:13 PM »
I've questioned that myself.  Is yours considered a "production" class?

I don't have an answer, but I can say that some of the variables I've run into with the Midget, being a production based class, and factory production run based requirements, have been -

A switch from 2 to 3 windshield wipers
Split rear bumper to solid one-piece rear bumper
Side marker light location
A one-year production change (1970) from squared off real wheel openings to arched rear wheel openings - and then back to squared off openings for 1971 - God only knows why
A factory switch from a flat-faced grill to a recessed grill then off to federalized "rubber bumpers".

I chose not to fight any of it and stuck with the original bad-aero grill opening, squared-off wheel arches and split bumpers.

At the end of the day, if you're in a production class, I suspect that the worst case scenario if you change out the grill is that you may have to have the car re-registered as an '83 with a new SCTA number and inspection.

I'd make a phone call - SCTA-BNI may not really care, but there are always those who do . . .
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline RichFox

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 12:57:05 PM »
Can't 7you make headlight covers that duplicate the factory parts? I believe that exact replicas of factory parts are legal.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 12:16:53 PM »
Can't 7you make headlight covers that duplicate the factory parts? I believe that exact replicas of factory parts are legal.

I agree with Rich.... find factory literature that shows the covers...  make identical pieces, run your truck. 
We fought that battle in 1979 with the Abarth Zagato.  The car had optional headlight covers that added significant aero to the recessed in the fender headlight.  They were of course unobtainable. We had pictures from factory literature, made identical pieces and ran the car.  It was protested, we did not run the covers the year before.... showed the pictures, protest denied.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 11:49:10 AM »
....We fought that battle in 1979 with the Abarth Zagato. ...

Hate to admit my ignorance but I had no idea what an Abarth Zagato was so had to look.

I guess this is without the covers and ...

.... this is with them?  I don't think I ever saw one of these in real life.  Pretty aero looking car, especially the top from the windshield back and down.

Sorry for disrupting the thread  :oops:,

Sumner
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 11:51:39 AM by Sumner »

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 11:49:53 AM »
Voila`
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline floydjer

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 12:17:43 PM »
and..www.moparpartsgiant.com shows them in stock @ $5.80 each
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 02:39:51 PM »
Floyd - yes, those are for the "single" headlight models (up through '83).  Those are very rare, but it's possible to find them if you keep looking hard enough.  The sites who say they have them in stock never do, I've tried them all.

The '84 and up models have quad headlights, with a different set of part #'s (P4286820 for the clear, and P4286821 for the tinted).  They are listed in Direct Connection catalogs from "back in the day", but without photos.

If you can find even a photo of the quad-light covers, I would be very grateful.

Steve.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 02:46:50 PM »
Voila`

Floyd - what year is the DC catalog you are looking at?

Offline SteveM

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2017, 02:53:42 PM »
I've questioned that myself.  Is yours considered a "production" class?

I'd make a phone call - SCTA-BNI may not really care, but there are always those who do . . .

Chris:

Diesel Truck defaults to the language of Gas Coupe classes in terms of allowable modifications, as opposed to Production classes.   I don't think there's any functional difference between the two sets of rules as related to body panels, ec.

I've been studying all the part#'s, dealer literature, and any "enthusiast" information I can get my hands on to determine the differences (even subtle ones) between the various years of Dodge Rampage production (there are only 3 years to be concerned with).  In '82 and early '83, there was a slight difference in the fenders where they meet the cowl.  In late '83 and '84, that portion of the fender remains the same.  I can't find any other differences to the sheet metal, trim, or rear bumpers.  The front "nose cones" are different for '84, however.

Steve.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2017, 06:44:55 PM »
Re-hijack...
Sum, went 120.872 on 39 RWHP measured on the dyno in Denver... a long time ago....
Here is a quick pic "as run" in 1980 I think.... The young kids... they are older now...
And then back to the question at hand...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2017, 11:33:47 AM »
I love those little Zagato's. My first encounter with one was with Porsche power. quick little beastie on a road circuit.

John

Offline floydjer

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2017, 10:02:05 AM »
Voila`

Floyd - what year is the DC catalog you are looking at?

Steve...I stole that pic off the net. And you can call me Jerry...Unlike Slim who calls me stfu...All messages I get from him begin with .." HEY...STFU..." :cheers: